Pure Land for the not very faith-inclined?

Jesse

Re: Pure Land for the not very faith-inclined?

Post by Jesse »

The smartest, most moral people are just as lost as the most foolish and sinful.
Everyone is lost, most people just don't realize it. What an absurd situation we find ourselves in. In fact, aside from survival, I imagine that's why most people don't like to stop and think or be alone with themselves, because it really is rather scary when you realize how insane it is to really be alive.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Gnosis984

Post by Gnosis984 »

Initially, all who come to walk a Buddhist path probably do so in the beginning with some degree of faith. As a worldly human, we can accept the 4 Noble Truths, but certainly in my case it was more with faith that I accepted the deeper aspects of the path, and certainly not with realization. If you can accept the teachings of Shakyamuni without realization of them, you already have the faith you need. As was said earlier in another reply, I think the way to combat the doubt would be to just do the practices.
Jechan

Post by Jechan »

Hi,
In the Pure Land doctrine there is an emphasis on a thing called "other power".
As far as i know this means relying on the power of Amitabhas vows to ensure rebirth into his pure land after death. So even those of little faith can and who may have doubts can rest assured of rebirth.
南無妙法蓮華経
南無妙法蓮華経
南無妙法蓮華経
南無妙法蓮華経
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Since faith is the theme here its always good to remember that Buddha itself said that the Pure Land existence is hard to believe, even among Boddhisattvas.
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

Nosta wrote:Since faith is the theme here its always good to remember that Buddha itself said that the Pure Land existence is hard to believe, even among Boddhisattvas.
Yes ... and even Shinran had a habit of referring to Amida's grace and Shinjin as "inconceivable".

Return to “Pure Land”