Former staff member

Why I Believe in Pure Land (video)

Post by Admin_PC »

Seeing if I can beat plwk to the punch on this one. :mrgreen:

phpBB [video]
plwk

Re: Why I Believe in Pure Land (video)

Post by plwk »

Believe it or not PC, I saw it much earlier but hesitated as I didn't find anything that Mr Kwan shared that would jump at me and in fact I wasn't in agreement with some of his opinions...Then again, that's just me, it may benefit others though...
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

plwk wrote:Believe it or not PC, I saw it much earlier but hesitated as I didn't find anything that Mr Kwan shared that would jump at me and in fact I wasn't in agreement with some of his opinions...Then again, that's just me, it may benefit others though...
doh! :oops:
I only got notified about it from youtube yesterday or the day before.
I found a couple things he had to say interesting.
Mostly, it was nice to hear someone talk about their experiences.

Looks like I'm going to have to work a lot harder if I ever want to get ahead of the curve. :bow:
plwk

Post by plwk »

Mostly, it was nice to hear someone talk about their experiences.
On this point, I would concede an agreement, as it's tough finding personal testimonies / sharing in English on Pure Land stuff, especially coming from the East Asian Pure Land Tradition (excepting the western based Jodo Shinshu ones) where the bulk of such material is in the native languages...
Ghid

Post by Ghid »

In the video, Alan Kwan emphasizes how Pure Land helps get to the next life.

Before now, when I have heard about Pure Land, the emphasis has been on happiness in this life.

Ghid

:smile:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Dude seemed pretty content. Notice a complete absence of modern scientific/materialist types of issues in him.

I don't think that the idea of "other power" is totally absent in Vajrayana either. The old "hook of compassion and ring of faith" metaphor that is used in the Vajrayana comes to mind.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

plwk wrote:Mostly, it was nice to hear someone talk about their experiences.
On this point, I would concede an agreement, as it's tough finding personal testimonies / sharing in English on Pure Land stuff, especially coming from the East Asian Pure Land Tradition (excepting the western based Jodo Shinshu ones) where the bulk of such material is in the native languages...
Sadly true, I hope a lot more of it gets translated in the future.

Return to “Pure Land”