Buddha Nature in Jodo Shinshu

steveb1

Buddha Nature in Jodo Shinshu

Post by steveb1 »

I was hoping that someone could enlighten me on Jodo Shinshu's/Shinran's specific view of Buddha Nature.
As I understand it from my reading thus far, Jodo Shinshu, unlike other Mahayana schools, does not regard Buddha Nature as immediate or inherent in people. Rather, it is conferred upon the practitioner upon his or her entrance into the Pure Land.
That is, the Shin adherent's aspiration for Buddhahood is fulfilled by Amida in the Pure Land.
This fulfillment is Amida's conferal of Buddha Nature upon the person born into the Pure Land.

So the questions -

1. Do I understand this correctly?

2. If so, in Shin, is Buddha Nature non-existent in persons until confered in the Pure Land, or does it actually belong to us inherently, but lies dormant until "sparked" by Amida's Other Power in the Pure Land?

Thanks in advance for any information. :)
Yuren

Re: Buddha Nature in Jodo Shinshu

Post by Yuren »

In Shin there is no need to wait for the Pure Land after death in order for you to "receive" Buddha-Nature, because Buddha-Nature is identified with shinjin, which arises when in the one thought-moment of faith one entrusts oneself fully to the Primal Vow. Shinran in his Essentials of Faith Alone:

The Tathagata pervades the countless worlds; it fills the hearts and minds of the ocean of all beings. Thus, plants, trees, and land all attain Buddhahood. Since it is with this heart and mind of all sentient beings that they entrust themselves to the Vow of Dharmakaya-as-compassion (Amida Buddha), this entrusting is none other than Buddha-nature.
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

Oh... amazing that I missed this essential factor. Thanks for this info. It's Shinjin that is our Buddha Nature, which we have now, even before entering the Pure Land.
Thanks!
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

Yuren wrote:In Shin there is no need to wait for the Pure Land after death in order for you to "receive" Buddha-Nature, because Buddha-Nature is identified with shinjin, which arises when in the one thought-moment of faith one entrusts oneself fully to the Primal Vow. Shinran in his Essentials of Faith Alone:

The Tathagata pervades the countless worlds; it fills the hearts and minds of the ocean of all beings. Thus, plants, trees, and land all attain Buddhahood. Since it is with this heart and mind of all sentient beings that they entrust themselves to the Vow of Dharmakaya-as-compassion (Amida Buddha), this entrusting is none other than Buddha-nature.
This gets me wondering. Why did Nichiren seem to despise Pure Land Buddhism so much, and offered his own sect as a way of attaining Buddhahood in one lifetime, when Shinran already taught that we awaken to Buddha-nature through faith and that our Buddhahood is assured for anyone who trusts in the Nembutsu? I don't mean to bad mouth Nichiren whatsoever, but I think his criticism of Pure Land Buddhism was misplaced.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

According to Nichiren folks, there's no evidence that Nichiren was aware of Shinran (who's following was fairly small in his lifetime). According to some in-house Shin stories, they lived close to one another (Dogen too actually) in Kyoto at the same time and being former Tendai monks may have had contact. One rumor is that Nichiren tried to kill Shinran - but this actually seems a case of mistaking Nichiren for the ascetic Bennen in recounting an event that occurred in Hitachi province. The truth is that Shin wasn't really big until Rennyo. Accounts of educated masters of his own time don't even include Shinran. Don't forget he never founded a temple and died pretty broke & obscure at age 90 in 1262 (heard once it was at one of his brothers' place). It wouldn't be surprising if Nichiren had never heard of him.

Nichiren didn't like the presentation of Honen, especially in the Senchakushu when he quotes Master Tao Ch'o regarding the discarding of the Holy Path (Path of Sages) in favor of the Pure Land Path and when he quotes Master Shan Tao regarding rejecting "Miscellaneous Practices" in favor of "Right Practice."
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

While SGI presents the teachings differently, did Nichiren himself promote devotion to the Eternal Buddha of the Lotus Sutra in much the same way that Pure Land Buddhists promote devotion to Amida? If so, I'd like to point out that, according to Shinran, Amida Buddha and the Eternal Buddha of the Lotus Sutra are one and the same. :namaste:
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Serenity509 wrote: I'd like to point out that, according to Shinran, Amida Buddha and the Eternal Buddha of the Lotus Sutra are one and the same. :namaste:
Citation please
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Serenity509 wrote: I'd like to point out that, according to Shinran, Amida Buddha and the Eternal Buddha of the Lotus Sutra are one and the same. :namaste:
Citation please
One of the signal elements in Shinran's thought which
reflects his background in the Lotus Sutra and Tendai thought
is his conception of Amida as the Eternal Buddha, designated
as kuonjitsujo. This term appears in Shinran's wasan. In his
hymns on the Pure Land Shinran states:

Since Amida became a Buddha
Ten kalpas have passed. So (the Sutra) says.
But he seems to be a Buddha
Older than the innumerable mote-dot kalpas.(44)

Also in #88 we read:

Amida, the Buddha existing from the eternal past,
Pitying the common fools (in the world) of the five

p. 49
defilements,
Appeared in the castle of Gaya
Manifesting himself as Sakyamuni Buddha.(45)
http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-ENG/bloom.htm
In Jodo Shinshu, Amida Nyorai is not considered just a Sambogakaya Buddha. He is believed to be the Eternal Buddha, who attained Enlightenment in the infinite past. If the body of Shakyamuni is a manifestation of the Eternal Buddha, for Shinran Shonin and his followers, the Eternal Buddha is Amitabha. Dharmakaya is formless but its compassionate activity is crystallized in Amida Buddha or Dharmakaya as Compassion. Amida Buddha, takes the provisional form of Dharmakara Bodhisattva and expresses this activity in terms of cause and effect through the 48 Vows. Among these Vows, the 18th or Primal Vow serves as the heart of Buddha’s wish for the world. Shinran Shonin, believed that all Buddhas appear in the several worlds, solely for the propagation of the Primal Vow.
https://nembutsumonto.wordpress.com/201 ... tus-sutra/
Loren Enders

Post by Loren Enders »

The Tathagata pervades the countless worlds; it fills the hearts and minds of the ocean of all beings. Thus, plants, trees, and land all attain Buddhahood.
Not to engage in dharma debate but isn't this a tirthika view?

**Trying to locate a center to take my son to and learn. More important for him would be learning a practice (Nembutsu and attention/awareness) and social group.
'Lorem', 'Loren', 'Loren Enders'
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Loren Enders wrote:
The Tathagata pervades the countless worlds; it fills the hearts and minds of the ocean of all beings. Thus, plants, trees, and land all attain Buddhahood.
Not to engage in dharma debate but isn't this a tirthika view?

**Trying to locate a center to take my son to and learn. More important for him would be learning a practice (Nembutsu and attention/awareness) and social group.
There are 2 issues above.

If the issue is with the Tathagata pervading the countless worlds, you can find it in the Avatamsaka Sutra, the Questions of Manjusri, and the Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra.

If the issue is with the idea of the Buddha Nature of plants, If I'm not mistaken, you're referencing the Surangama Sutra, which says that plants being the same as sentient beings is a tirthika view?

The problem regarding Buddha Nature and plants is that it is a major tenet of Tendai Buddhism and is part & parcel of their Hongaku (本覚) teachings (even though Shinran rejected the idea of sentient beings being already enlightened). It comes directly from Zhiyi and is derived from his "Ichinen Sanzen" (which I believe is derived from the Lotus Sutra - I'm no expert).

The ninth patriarch of the T’ien-t’ai school, Chan-jan, wrote...
Chan-jan wrote:“A plant, a tree, a pebble, a speck of dust—each has the Buddha nature, and each is endowed with cause and effect and with the function to manifest and the wisdom to realize its Buddha nature.”
Here is Nichiren's take on the topic

Kukai expounded on it too...
Kukai in the Record of the Secret Treasury wrote:The explanation of the Buddhahood of insentient trees and plants is as
follows: the Dharmakaya consists of the Five Great Elements within which
space [koki] and plants-and-trees [somoku] are included. Both this space
and these plants-and-trees are the dharmakaya. Even though with the
physical eye one might see the coarse form of plants-and-trees, it is with the
Buddha-eye that the subtle color can be seen. Therefore, without any
alteration in what it is in itself, trees-and-plants may, unobjectionably, be
referred to as [having] Buddha[-nature].
This is also found somewhat in Zen & Chan Buddhism
The following paraphrase quotes from Dogen's "Keiseisanshoku" (Sounds of the valley, color of the mountains) in the Shobogenzo and his "Mujo-seppo" (Nonsentient beings expound the dharma) from the Dogen Kigen.
Voices of Mountains wrote:Dōgen regrets that most people "do not realize that the universe is
proclaiming the actual body of Buddha," since they can perceive only "the superficial
aspects of sound and color" and are unable to experience "Buddha's shape, form, and
voice in landscape."

Perhaps in order to avoid the absolutist connotations of the traditional idea of the
dharmakaya, Dōgen substitutes for Kūkai's hosshin seppo the notion of mujo-seppo, which
emphasizes that even nonsentient beings expound the true teachings. They are capable of
this sort of expression since they, too, are what the Buddhists call shin ("mind/heart").
And just as the speech of Dainichi Nyorai is not immediately intelligible to us humans, so,
for Dōgen:
The way insentient beings expound the true teachings should not be understood
to be necessarily like the way sentient beings do. ... It is contrary to the Buddhaway
to usurp the voices of the living and conjecture about those of the non-living
in terms of them.
Ven Hsuan Hua wrote:Who is the original ancestor of all the flying, swimming, and roaming creatures and the plants-the birds in the sky, the fish, turtles, shrimp, crabs, and other creatures in the water, the people and other creatures endowed with blood and breath, and the flowers, grasses, trees, and all the plants? The Buddha-nature is.
It's not like this idea isn't found in Buddhism outside of East Asia either:
Jetsun Taranatha on Buddha Nature wrote:Suchness and the Tathagata are of the same substance which is called Buddha Nature. The meaning of Tathagatagarbha, Sugatagarbha, and the essence of the Buddha is the same. It abides equally in the Buddha, in all phenomena, and in all sentient beings. In sentient beings, Buddha Nature is present, but covered. In the Buddhas, Buddha Nature is completely actualized.

—Jetsun Taranatha

TLDR
This idea is the prevailing line of thought in East Asian Buddhism, so Shinran was hardly original or breaking from tradition in the above quote...
Loren Enders

Post by Loren Enders »

Thanks.
'Lorem', 'Loren', 'Loren Enders'

Return to “Pure Land”