Shakyamuni in Pure Land

AnotherBuddhistGuy19

Shakyamuni in Pure Land

Post by AnotherBuddhistGuy19 »

Hello,
I have been looking into Pure Land (specifically Shin) and I was wondering what place Shakyamuni Buddha held in it. I know that Amida is the Buddha whose name is chanted during practice, but I just am not certain how Shakyamuni is regarded. Sorry if this has been brought up before, I looked and could not find it anywhere. Thanks!
Fortyeightvows

Re: Shakyamuni in Pure Land

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Shakyamuni is the original teacher...it was Shakyamuni who on vulture peak explained to Ananda and Vadehi the way to properly visualize amitabha's pure land and it was to Shakyamuni that Dharmakara made his 48 vows, it was Shakyamuni who, without being asked, in the garden at Jetavana described to his disciples the qualities of sukavati.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Shakyamuni's Pure Land is on Vulture Peak
Fortyeightvows wrote:...and it was to Shakyamuni that Dharmakara made his 48 vows...
Dharmakara made his vows to the Buddha Lokeśvararāja (World Sovereign King).
AnotherBuddhistGuy19

Post by AnotherBuddhistGuy19 »

Thanks for the quick replies! I worded my question oddly, I am sorry about that. What I was wondering is how do practitioners commonly view Shakyamuni vs Amida? Is there a lot more importance in Amida or are both viewed pretty much equally. Thanks and sorry again for the misunderstanding.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

According to Shin: Shakyamuni is our father, Amitabha is our mother. Shinran also references ShanTao's analogy of the narrow white path between 2 rivers (river of fire, river of water), wherein Shakyamuni is the voice on the near shore encouraging to take the narrow white path and Amitabha is the voice on the far shore telling us it's safe on the other side.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Admin_PC wrote:Shakyamuni's Pure Land is on Vulture Peak
Fortyeightvows wrote:...and it was to Shakyamuni that Dharmakara made his 48 vows...
Dharmakara made his vows to the Buddha Lokeśvararāja (World Sovereign King).
Yes you are correct.
My mistake
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Fortyeightvows - sorry I meant to give you a :twothumbsup: on your pointing out the fundamental teacher Shakyamuni.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Your right though it was Shakyamuni who told of the vows that Dharmakara made.
GoingHome

Post by GoingHome »

All Buddha are equal. Chanting a name of one buddha has the same merit as another. But the mind of sentient beings in the Saha world is so dispersed that we need to focus on only one Buddha which is Amida. Shakyamuni Buddha shows us the path and Amida Buddha opens his arm to receive us. Both Buddhas work in perfect harmony to guide us to perfect enlightenment. Also Amida has 48 great vows to lead sentient beings to his world. All Buddhas in the ten directions, past, present and future give praise to Amida Buddha and teaches the Pureland Sutras. Shakyamuni Buddha stated that it's extremely difficult to give sermon of Amida Buddha in this period of 5 defilement. We must then believe His wold and be grateful that he gave us an easy path to Buddhahood.
Namo Shakyamuni Buddha
Namo Amida Buddha
Namo Amitabha Buddha :group:

Return to “Pure Land”