The Quotable Honen

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

The Quotable Honen

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I'd like to start a thread for people to share quotations by Master Honen.
More than any other, his preserved writings have helped me in difficulty and warmed my heart.
Here and there some indications of what the quotation addresses would be helpful, too.
Many of these will come from the collections found in "The Promise of Amida Buddha".

I start with his famous One-Sheet Document.
In China and Japan, many Buddhist masters and scholars understand that the nembutsu is to meditate deeply on Amida Buddha and the Pure Land. However, I do not understand the nembutsu in this way. Reciting the nembutsu does not come from studying and understanding its meaning. There is no other reason or cause by which we can utterly believe in attaining birth in the Pure Land than the nembutsu itself. Reciting the nembutsu and believing in birth in the Pure Land naturally gives rise to the three minds (sanjin) and the four modes of practice (shishu). If I am withholding any deeper knowledge beyond simple recitation of the nembutsu, then may I lose sight of the compassion of Shakyamuni and Amida Buddha and slip through the embrace of Amida’s original vow. Even if those who believe in the nembutsu deeply study all the teachings which Shakyamuni taught during his life, they should not put on any airs and should practice the nembutsu with the sincerity of those untrained followers ignorant of Buddhist doctrines.

I hereby authorize this document with my hand print. The Jōdo Shū way of the settled mind (anjin) is completely imparted here. I, Genkū, have no other teaching than this. In order to prevent misinterpretation after my passing away, I make this final testament.
Only repeat the name of Amida with all your heart. Whether walking or standing, sitting or lying, never cease the practice of it even for a moment. This is the very work which unfailingly issues in salvation.
Worrying about your unruly, pain-filled mind?
Birth in the Pure Land is attained by the power of nembutsu. It is not taught that you should have tranquility of mind, remove all deterrents, and then recite nembutsu. Rather, you should recite nembutsu incessantly and rid yourself of your negative karma in that way. History has proven that countless lay people have attained birth in the Pure Land. If you do not have tranquility of mind, engage yourself in reciting nembutsu exclusively, praying with all your heart for the power of Amida Buddha.
In life we should accumulate all the merit of nembutsu so that when death comes, we will be welcomed by Amida Buddha into the Pure Land of Ultimate Bliss. In essence, if we recite nembutsu believing that, no matter what comes or goes there is no anxiety in this life, we will be free from the worry of birth and death.
Namu Amida Butsu
sth9784

Re: The Quotable Honen

Post by sth9784 »

I will post two of my favorite quotes, both taken from "The Promise of Amida Buddha". One is a short poem, and the other is from the Bencho subsection of the sayings of Master Honen's disciples.

"There is no place where the moonlight fails to grace, but it only abides in and purifies the hearts of those who gaze upon its face."

"One who plans to jump over a moat ten feet wide must make every effort to jump fifteen feet. In the same manner, one who aspires to birth in the Pure Land must establish the decisive faith in the certain attainment of birth in the Pure Land. Birth in the Pure Land will become impossible if one loosens this belief."
Crom!
rory

Post by rory »

I love this one I just read it today over at fb (Honen Shonen)
As the previous metaphor illustrated, once aboard the ocean liner, both the blind and sighted move forward together. One may possess the eye of wisdom, but without reciting nembutsu, it will not be in accord with the power of the essential vow. Even an utterly dim-witted ignoramus can rely on the power of the essential vow through the vocal nembutsu. ... So do not assume that wisdom or the lack of it determines your capacity for birth in the Pure Land. It is determined solely by the depth of your faith
I feel this one so deeply. I am pretty intellectual and it never helped me as a Buddhist; I made zero progress after years. Only when I really humbled myself and entered the Pure Land gate, did I understand and develop and ocean of faith...
Namu Amida Butsu
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Shinnin

Post by Shinnin »

"On further consideration, seeing you again in this world is not important. Visiting you now may even increase my attachment to your lifeless form. No one remains here forever. The only difference is that some will leave here before me, and some will leave after. Pondering this thought, it is impossible to predict the length of our lives, and although we may live a long time, the past is in the end like a phantom dream.

Therefore, remember that together we will enter the same Buddha-land of Amida Buddha. Upon the lotus flower we will dispel memories of sadness in this defiled world of suffering, we will reminisce about our past karmic connection, and we will vow to save and lead people to enlightenment in the future.

Believe deeply in the essential vow of Amida Buddha; do not doubt even for a moment that you will attain birth in the Pure Land; and believe that with ten repetitions of Namu Amida Butsu you will definitely achieve birth in the Pure Land through the power of the essential vow, however much negative karma you may have. Please focus on reciting nembutsu."

-From Honen's (presumably final) letter to nun Shonyo-bo, quoted from the book "The Promise of Amida Buddha: Honen's Path to Bliss" translated by Joji Atone and Yoko Hayashi.
"You must firmly believe that the vocalization of Namu Amida Butsu along with unfaltering aspiration for birth in the Pure Land will most certainly assure you of birth in the Pure Land. Unshakable faith in birth in the Pure Land establishes the karma for birth in the Pure Land. There should be no doubt if you think in this manner. Attainment of birth in the Pure Land will be uncertain if one doubts this birth; attainment of birth in the Pure Land will be certain if one believes in this birth." -Honen
Shinnin

Post by Shinnin »

I found an alternate translation of the quote/passage I shared before, in "Traversing the Pure Land Path: A Lifetime of Encounters with Honen Shonin."

"But on second thought, I have come to feel that, after all, it doesn't matter one way or the other about such courtesy visits in this world.

The fact is that we are in danger of becoming foolishly attached to these earthly bodies of ours. No matter who it is, no one stays here forever in this fleshy body. The only difference is that either I myself or someone else must be left behind while the other goes ahead. Then if we think of the period of time that will separate us, that too is uncertain. And even though they may call it long, at the longest it is only like a short dream or vision. So no matter how many times I think it over, the more I am convinced that the thing to do is to think only of our meeting in the land of Amida Buddha.

There, as we sit upon our Lotus flowers and the cares of this world all clear away, we will talk together about the scenes and events of our past lives. We then will discuss together how we can help each other in promoting the emancipation of people down through the long future.

This is the same as I have always told her from the beginning: she should take firm hold of Amida Buddha's Original Vow, not allowing one thought of doubt to enter her heart. And even though she can only repeat the nembutsu but once, remember that however deluded she feels she is, she will by the power of Amida Buddha's Vow without question be Born in the Pure Land. So tell her to exert herself with undivided mind to the repetition of the sacred name."
"You must firmly believe that the vocalization of Namu Amida Butsu along with unfaltering aspiration for birth in the Pure Land will most certainly assure you of birth in the Pure Land. Unshakable faith in birth in the Pure Land establishes the karma for birth in the Pure Land. There should be no doubt if you think in this manner. Attainment of birth in the Pure Land will be uncertain if one doubts this birth; attainment of birth in the Pure Land will be certain if one believes in this birth." -Honen
ZhengShen

Post by ZhengShen »

I found this old thread on a google search - and thought it might be worth resurrecting. Here's my first contribution, from Plain Words on the Pure Land Way. I take great comfort in this:

On his way back from a pilgrimage from Zenkoji Temple, Bishop Myohen of Mount Koya had an interview with Honen.
Myohen asked, "How can I break the bonds of samsaric existence with this life?"
Honen replied, "Just say the nembutsu."
"That's surely the answer. But what should I do about the delusional thoughts and feelings that fill my mind?"
"Even though deluded thoughts arise, you will attain birth through the power of the Primal Vow."
Satisfied with this answer, Myohen left.
Afterwards Honen muttered to himself, "Trying to attain the Pure Land by suppressing delusional thoughts is like casting away the eyes and nose you're born with in order to say the Name."
Zheng Shen

Sayings of the Pure Land Buddhist Masters
https://www.facebook.com/people/Sayings ... 295437647/

Plain Words on the Pure Land Way
https://www.facebook.com/PlainWordsOnThePureLandWay/
ZhengShen

Post by ZhengShen »

Jōgan-shōnin (1168–1251) thus stated:

Someone said to Hōnen-shōnin, “The perception of the physical features of Amida Buddha is taught in the Meditation Sutra. Should even the nembutsu practitioner observe this meditative practice?”

Hōnen-shōnin replied, “I, Genkū, also performed such a futile practice at the beginning, but I do not practice it now. I recite nembutsu with implicit belief in attaining birth in the Pure Land.”

The Promise of Amida Buddha

Ryūkan-rishi (1148–1227) stated as follows:

Hōnen-shōnin said, “I, Genkū, also used to read the Smaller Sutra three times a day in addition to my daily practice of nembutsu. I recited the Smaller Sutra in the T’ang version first, in the Wu version second, and then in the Japanese version third. However, I realized that the quintessence of the Smaller Sutra is the mere recitation of nembutsu; therefore, I do not read it at all anymore and exclusively recite nembutsu.”

I, Ryūkan, who had read the Smaller Sutra forty-eight times every single day, immediately comprehended this and presently recite nembutsu thirty thousand times a day, leaving the Smaller Sutra aside.

The Promise of Amida Buddha
Zheng Shen

ZhengShen

Post by ZhengShen »

If, because it is taught that birth is attained with but one or ten utterances, you say the nembutsu heedlessly, then faith is hindering practice.

If, because it is taught that you should say the Name "without abandoning it from moment to moment," you believe on or ten utterances to be indecisive, then practice is hindering faith.

As your faith, accept that birth is attained with a single utterance; as your practice, endeavor in the nembutsu throughout life.
Zheng Shen

ZhengShen

Post by ZhengShen »

It's taught that if you believe saying the nembutsu once to be indecisive, every utterance becomes nembutsu of no faith. Amida Buddha's vow was established so the birth would be attained with each utterance; therefore, every single saying of the Name is a karmic act that results in birth.

Without fretting about whether your passions are superficial or deep-seated, without weighing the magnitude of your karmic evil, just say Namu-amida-butsu with your lips and through your voicing bring about the settlement of birth.
Zheng Shen

Return to “Pure Land”