Practicing solo

shaunc

Practicing solo

Post by shaunc »

Hi. I'm after some general advice for a married, lay practitioner of Buddhism. I've recently become extremely in in the nambutsu method (nichiren /pureland ) and am now leaning towards pureland, more specifically japanese pureland.
I've been practicing the 10 x 10 method for a few weeks and have really started to notice a difference in my general behavior and outlook.
What I want to know is if I can keep this practice up without attending a temple. There's no pureland Buddhist temples in my area but there is quite a lot of information on the net that I can study at a more suitable time for me.
The 10x10 method has been great for me as I never go more than a few hours without being mindful of the Amitabh buddha and of course thinking of him also makes me mindful of the teachings of Sakyumani buddha.
I know that I still have a lot of work ahead of me but I've studied buddhism in general for 20 years and this would be the best result that I have got so far.
Thanks.
Shaun.
Fortyeightvows

Re: Practicing solo

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I think it's great what your doing! I also think though that it is worth considering that after Shakyamuni passed away, the sangha made group recitation their first practice. To put it another way, group recitation has been a part of the buddhist community since the very beginning.
rory

Post by rory »

that's super, I'm like you and when I also got results it kept me on the path. And of course you can practice alone with no temple nearby, I did it for years in Ireland (though I had a monk's advice; he wrote me letters). Fortunately there is a Jodo Shu google group with two priests, Rev. Ishikawa and Rev Shinri who can advise you and a bunch of practitioners. Gary suggested we start a study group, so there's that. And Rev. Ishikawa lives streams his temple service or if you prefer Jodo Shinshu I believe they have an online sangha.

So no worries, it's late but I'll find out more for you tomorrow.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
rory

Post by rory »

I sent Shaun a private PM but I do want to post here video services on youtube for people who are far from a sangha great helps for practice
this is a Rev. Kasahara Jodo priest from Japan in English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVkMd8QYtuE

and here is the service - just words
http://english.jodoshuna.org/prayer/daily-prayer/

and here is the Buddhist Churches of America: Jodo Shinshu
http://buddhistchurchesofamerica.org/ I know they offer a correspondance course and you could check for online activities

And Amitabha chanting weekend at Berkely Buddhist Monastery! They're part of Dharma Realm Buddhist Association I wish I were going
http://www.berkeleymonastery.org/

everyone please add if you know more resources to help online practitioners:)
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Thanks for the support everyone, especially Rory, you must have gone to a lot of trouble sending me the PM and all of the links. I feel a lot more confident now to carry on with my practice and do some more study.
Namo Amida Butsu.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I've seen a few people use videoconferencing stuff in meetings, google+, facetime or whatever for folks that are remote. Personally I find at least occasional face-time to be really helpful.
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the 10 x 10 method?

Thank you.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Qing Tian wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the 10 x 10 method?

Thank you.

It's a method I heard of in Chinese pureland through a fairly famous nun, venerable wuling.
It involves reciting the nembutsu 10 times only but repeating it 10 times / day.
Basically you're constantly reminding yourself to be mindful of the Buddha and his teachings.
At least that's how it's been working for me.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

shaunc wrote:Thanks for the support everyone, especially Rory, you must have gone to a lot of trouble sending me the PM and all of the links. I feel a lot more confident now to carry on with my practice and do some more study.
Namo Amida Butsu.

Thats Rory! I am thankful to him too :)
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

This method /type of Buddhism has been great for me in a relatively short time. This weekend it was my turn to be on call at work, it's been a very quiet weekend so financially it's been a complete waste of time but in other ways it's been good. I've got a lot of work done around the house like cleaning out the chook house and shoveling all of the wood shavings on to the vegetable patch and pruning and removing the garden waste and looking after the kids while my wife caught up with a few friends.
But the biggest benefit was tonight. My 7 year old daughter was tired and cranky and being a bit naughty and I disciplined her without getting angry or losing my cool.
I think the biggest test of whether buddhism or any religion is a help is whether other people are benefiting from your practice. You often hear people say how much better their practice is making them feel but I reckon the true test is whether your family and friends are feeling better because of your practice.
Namu Amida Butsu.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

It is definitely worth remembering that, if we are wholly saved by Other-Power instead of our own efforts, then no attendance at a temple is necessary whatsoever if you already have the Nianfo in your life. It's good to attend a temple to have fellowship with other Buddhists, to seek the guidance of a priest, etc., but it's by no means required. If you don't have a temple near where you live, there are ways that you can find a spiritual teacher on the internet who can give you guidance long distance, and there are correspondence courses to learn more about Buddhist teachings as well.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Thanks Dharmaflower. At the moment I'm happy with the way it's going. You're right, I have the Internet and a simple practice and with the grace of Amida I'll be fine.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

shaunc wrote:Thanks Dharmaflower. At the moment I'm happy with the way it's going. You're right, I have the Internet and a simple practice and with the grace of Amida I'll be fine.
You're welcome. This is a free self-study course in Pure Land teachings:
http://bschawaii.org/shindharmanet/course/
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

shaunc wrote:Thanks Dharmaflower. At the moment I'm happy with the way it's going. You're right, I have the Internet and a simple practice and with the grace of Amida I'll be fine.
Sounds like things are going well! I'm finding that I prefer my online groups & teachers to practicing with the local group, but maybe I'm just antisocial. :)
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Dharma Flower wrote:
You're welcome. This is a free self-study course in Pure Land teachings:
http://bschawaii.org/shindharmanet/course/
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I've been busy with Christmas and such. I've bookmarked the link you sent me and will try to study it bit by bit.
I really love the pureland path as to me it seems that there really are no right or wrong ways to practice, just different ways for all of the different bombus out there, myself included.
Namu Amida Butsu.
gordtheseeker

Post by gordtheseeker »

shaunc wrote:
Qing Tian wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the 10 x 10 method?

Thank you.

It's a method I heard of in Chinese pureland through a fairly famous nun, venerable wuling.
It involves reciting the nembutsu 10 times only but repeating it 10 times / day.
Basically you're constantly reminding yourself to be mindful of the Buddha and his teachings.
At least that's how it's been working for me.
Thanks for sharing that. I will have to try it!

Return to “Pure Land”