A Wonderful New Shin Book

steveb1

A Wonderful New Shin Book

Post by steveb1 »

For any and all interested: Shin pastor and Buddhist scholar John Paraskevopoulos has just published a fantastic new book on Shin and Amida Buddha:

https://www.amazon.com/Unhindered-Path- ... dered+path

Paraskevopoulos carefully marshals evidence from a variety of sources - some scholarly, some poetic, some from personal testimony (including his own material) - that delineates how Shin practice immerses the adherent in a kind of "transformative, transfiguring Transcendent" - a kind of Buddhistic "panentheism" (of course, without the theism - perhaps "panendharmism" might be a better term). He makes a good case for modern acceptance of core Shin claims and for Nembutsu practice, and explains that no modern person, even though steeped in Western-style materialism, reductionism, and cynicism about spiritual things, should feel any "back-off", shame, or embarrassment about accepting and acting upon Shin's transcendental claims. The author's sources and his own writings (both scholarly and pastoral) are simply too good to ignore. Even long-time Shin practicers will probably be stunned and refreshed by the epic range of descriptive data in this compact book; and even unbelievers and Buddhists in the various "self-power" schools will find themselves intrigued as well as challenged.

If you're looking to read a sharp and remarkably pragmatic exploration of Shin's meaning for today's world, do yourself a favor and read this book - I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Last edited by steveb1 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yuren

Re: A Wonderful New Shin Book

Post by Yuren »

Ordered it a week ago! Can't wait to read it.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Yes, it was a nice read. All his books are good. His second one "The Fragrance of Light" is a collection of Pure Land quotes and stories...a nice read as well.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

Thanks, Yuren and Mr. G - it's definitely a great book - I'm happy that you guys appreciate the author and his other works.

:)
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

EDIT: [Changed a couple of words for clarity]

For any and all interested: Shin pastor and Buddhist scholar John Paraskevopoulos has just published a fantastic new book on Shin and Amida Buddha:

https://www.amazon.com/Unhindered-Path- ... dered+path

Paraskevopoulos carefully marshals evidence from a variety of sources - some scholarly, some poetic, some from personal testimony (including his own material) - that delineates how Shin practice immerses the adherent in a kind of "transformative, transfiguring Transcendent" - a kind of Buddhistic "panentheism" (of course, without the theism - perhaps "panendharmism" might be a better term). He makes a good case for modern acceptance of core Shin claims and for Nembutsu practice, and explains that no modern person, even though steeped in Western-style materialism, reductionism, and cynicism about spiritual things, should feel any sense of backing away from or embarrassment about accepting and acting upon Shin's transcendental claims. The author's sources and his own writings (both scholarly and pastoral) are simply too good to ignore. Even long-time Shin practicers will probably be stunned and refreshed by the epic range of descriptive data in this compact book; and even unbelievers and Buddhists in the various "self-power" schools will find themselves intrigued as well as challenged.

If you're looking to read a sharp and remarkably pragmatic exploration of Shin's meaning for today's world, do yourself a favor and read this book - I cannot recommend it highly enough.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Thanks. I just ordered it.
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

You're very welcome. I think you'll really enjoy it.

byrneklay

Post by byrneklay »

I really like this book. Thanks for the recommendation!
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

berneklay, you're very welcome. It's a truly great and meaningful read!

Return to “Pure Land”