Sex and Death on the Road to Nirvana

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
dzogchungpa

Sex and Death on the Road to Nirvana

Post by dzogchungpa »

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Sex and Death on the Road to Nirvana

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Ah man, sad, sad, sad and nausea - inducing. I hope everyone involved can recover from the harm done, wherever they be.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

By the time Sera Mey granted Roach the title Geshe, in 1995, some of his critics in the Buddhist community suspected that it was because of his money, not his holiness. According to one ranking monk, he "circumvented nearly 12 years of debate time. It is highly unusual. I have never heard of such an exception being made."
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
greentara

Post by greentara »

'Michael Roach, and his partner Lama Christie, at their yurt on a mountain top near Bowie, Arizona. The two practicing buddhists have a vow to always be within 15 feet of each other!" What happened....she gravitated towards Thorston? All the empty, syrupy statements, all the hyperbole!
The really sad part is that these people were teaching others.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

greentara wrote:The really sad part is that these people were teaching others.
and they still are (at least Roach is but McNally will probably try to teach as well).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Stuff like this is why I don't suggest to people to become Buddhists. If somebody is interested I will encourage them in a healthy direction. But they have to initiate it.

The good stuff is hard to find and very quiet. The bad stuff gets loud & everybody hears about it. I guess that's the way it has to be. :crying:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
greentara

Post by greentara »

smcj, "The good stuff is hard to find and very quiet" That is so true. People want robes, ritual, charismatic chatter and to be part of an inner circle...cause then you're special.
flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

Everything began when he was officially disapproved by his own masters and monastery. You can't be a master of vajrayana if you have no lineage (or no respect to your lineage, or to your master). You can then still be a master, a buddhist master, but not a true Tibetan Buddhism master.

What a disaster.
flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

smcj wrote:Stuff like this is why I don't suggest to people to become Buddhists.
I suggest people not to go into Tibetan Buddhism. Unless they really, really feel attracted to it.

There are way too many pitfalls, too many ways to fall into the "spiritual materialism" trap, charlatans out there... Your sanga will have a lot of new-agers that will mix everything with angels, indigo kids and such. Then the tradition requieres a lot of time and effort to be genuinely understood or appreciated. And there is no "salvation guaranteed or your money back".

Plus you have to endure attacks, criticism, and derision from the people on the Theravada camp.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

He insists the tragedy of Thorson's death at Diamond Mountain is a matter of the past. "I will talk about Diamond Mountain if you want, but in three months nobody will care about what happened there. In a year, everyone will have forgotten about it." He spoke with the certainty of a man who believes he can make his own reality. He says that Diamond Mountain's days as a school are numbered anyway. "We should just make it online."

McNally is sad to hear this but not surprised. Roach, she says, told her he "hated the place" and used to call it "Demon Mountain" in private.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Anna Schecter's "interview" with Michael Roach as part of her Dateline piece.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Such people can not be called Buddhists. How can they call themselves that with a straight face?

:!:
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

This is back in the news again in the UK:
http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... ymC9IXpDdI

Apparently the fateful retreat where all this happened is due to end in a couple of weeks.
This is not the wrong life.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Saw a Dateline show based on this. Sad stuff.
Berry

Post by Berry »

flavio81 wrote: Plus you have to endure attacks, criticism, and derision from the people on the Theravada camp.
Who does? - everyone interested in Tibetan Buddhism, or just you ? Please elaborate.

:shock:
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Pathos blog article on the Dateline piece with a clip of Thurman at the end of the article.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Media”