The Universe As Information

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
padma norbu

The Universe As Information

Post by padma norbu »

It seems like more and more people are agreeing on the Universe as Information. The first person I know of to have seriously advanced a thorough consideration of this idea was an author and mathematician named Lionel Snell sometime back in the 60s. Over the years, he added to and refined this idea into a few different books which he published under various pseudonyms. I have some information I want to collect and share here some time later, but I wanted to open the thread up now to see what other people have on the subject, since I would rather like to read something new first after I am done with the laundry. :smile:
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Re: The Universe As Information

Post by padma norbu »

Oh, heck, in the media section I'm not sure if we're allowed to begin threads unless they have a media link, so here is one:

phpBB [video]

Vallee has a tendency to bore people into daydreaming, so I will summarize the last 10 minutes of slides in which Vallee argues that people are beginning to advance this idea of a New Physics, which, according to Vallee does not require dimension.

Guillemant's Research has proposed that
- the future is already realized and in transformation
- under the influence of our observations and intentions
- Synchronicities are caused by a double causality: our intentions cause effects in the future that become the future causes of present effects

4 Requirements for a new physics
1. Recognize the universe we perceive as a subsystem of a meta-reality of information associations.
2. Recognize dimensions as a cultural artifact. Do away with them.
3. Treat the present as over-determined (by the past and by the future)
4. Consciousness traverses associations - thus generating the mind's impression of space and time.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Re: The Universe As Information

Post by padma norbu »

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/02/mf_gleick_qa/

Kelly: According to your book, information underpins everything.

Gleick: Modern physics has begun to think of the bit—this binary choice—as the ultimate fundamental particle. John Wheeler summarized the idea as “it-from-bit.” By that he meant that the basis of the physical universe—the “it” of an atom or subatomic particle—is not matter, nor energy, but a bit of information.

Kelly: That sounds almost spiritual—that the material world is really immaterial.

Gleick: I know it sounds magical, but it needs to be understood properly. Information has a material basis. It has to be carried by something.

Kelly: The extreme view would be that all these bits that make up atoms are running on a very big computer called the universe, an idea first espoused by Babbage.

Gleick: That makes sense as long as this metaphor does not diminish our sense of what the universe is but expands our sense of what a computer is.

Kelly: But as you note, some scientists say that this is not a metaphor: The universe we know is only information.

Gleick: I’m not a physicist, but that concept resonates with something that we all recognize: Information is the thing that we care most about. The more we understand the role that information plays in our world, the more skillful citizens we will be.

Return to “Media”