The babadook-interesting movie from a Buddhist perspective

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
ClearblueSky

The babadook-interesting movie from a Buddhist perspective

Post by ClearblueSky »

I just finished the movie The Babadook, and at least in my opinion there are some major parallels to meditation (and all psychology) to it's story. It's a surprisingly deep movie in general. It's on Netflix, but I should warn everybody it's a horror movie (though it essentially has no gore or jump-scares, it's just really, really creepy). I wouldn't watch it right before bed, but since I think most Buddhists would see the relevance, I give it my recommendation, if you're up for that sort of thing. Very curious if anyone else saw it and thought the same thing... just remember to put those "spoiler" warnings in if you did!
TaTa

Re: The babadook-interesting movie from a Buddhist perspecti

Post by TaTa »

Could you elaborate?
ClearblueSky

Re: The babadook-interesting movie from a Buddhist perspecti

Post by ClearblueSky »

Well I don't want to spoil the movie for anybody that actually plans to see it... But the concept of recognizing our own "monsters" and illusions of our mind, instead of trying to block or deny them, is an underlying theme. There's a lot of analysis online about this movie, but if you're planning to see it I'd definitely wait until after to read it!

Return to “Media”