BBC podcast: Ashoka the Great

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Huseng
Former staff member

BBC podcast: Ashoka the Great

Post by Huseng »

Available here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0511tm1

One of the guests is Richard Gombrich.

Conveniently you can also download the mp3. There's a lot of other podcasts on the site too related to Buddhism if you search around.
daelm

Re: BBC podcast: Ashoka the Great

Post by daelm »

Is this the In Our Time podcast? If yes, I enjoyed this episode. The time constraint means they can't go into it in enough detail, but it was good nevertheless. You're right that there are others on Buddhism, but they vary in quality - not because the people are not knowledgeable, but the subject often didn't lend itself to such a short discussion. The Zen one, if I remember right, will have you tearing you're hair out, for example.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

In this one fortunately Gombrich corrects the other two scholars on some of their assumptions and misunderstandings.
daelm

Post by daelm »

Indrajala wrote:In this one fortunately Gombrich corrects the other two scholars on some of their assumptions and misunderstandings.
i remember that :) - if i remember correctly, he made a strong defense of Buddhism when the other guests largely positioned it as a theoretical proposition. i was quite touched.

Return to “Media”