Tibetan Circle Dance

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Tibetan Circle Dance

Post by Ayu »

At Semkye Ling they showed us how to dance Tibetan circle dance. It was supposed to have a deep meaning, telling about the emptyness of all phenomenons, while dancing it was great fun.

I have no video. It was a little bit like this:

phpBB [video]
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Tibetan Circle Dance

Post by Ayu »

Here I found two of the dances and the songs we were dancing to. I could listen to the last song especially for more than one hour. Such a friendly melody.

They are the first and the fourth of the songs on this video:

phpBB [video]
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Just to clarify, the first dance video you posted was a brief clip of one (of a number) of Gesar Dances called Lingdro that were a gTerma revelation of the great Mipham Rinpoche. They are Dzogchen dances. The men are dressed as Gesar and his warrior brothers and retinue with full regalia including weapons. They tend to get much more active in the latter section of the dance, which often involves stamping and leaping. These dances have stylistic similarities with both traditional Lama dance / Cham dance, and general Tibetan folk dance. But it is it's own unique tradition, and is a profound dharma practice that can lead one to enlightenment.

The second video you shared is of some traditional Tibetan folk dances.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Adamantine wrote:Just to clarify, the first dance video you posted was a brief clip of one (of a number) of Gesar Dances called Lingdro that were a gTerma revelation of the great Mipham Rinpoche. They are Dzogchen dances. The men are dressed as Gesar and his warrior brothers and retinue with full regalia including weapons. They tend to get much more active in the latter section of the dance, which often involves stamping and leaping. These dances have stylistic similarities with both traditional Lama dance / Cham dance, and general Tibetan folk dance. But it is it's own unique tradition, and is a profound dharma practice that can lead one to enlightenment.

The second video you shared is of some traditional Tibetan folk dances.
Cool. Thanks for this information. When starting this topic, I was hoping for comments like yours.
We were not being provided with much of this theoretical background. They left to us the practical emotional experience of dancing.
While searching on youtube, I wasn't sure which dances are authentic... Some seemed to have degraded to superficial folklore dances for tourists. That Gesar dance looked more genuine to me.

Return to “Media”