Critique of Tendai

jikai

Critique of Tendai

Post by jikai »

Hi guys,

I have been aware of this guy for a number of years. He often posts critiques about Mahayana in general or particular Mahayana/ Vajrayana Sutra/ Tantra. It came to my attention recently that he has made one about Tendai. It is in Danish, but It can be put through Google translate and gives a general outline of his argument. Just thought I'd put it here to bring it to everyone's attention:

http://www.buddhaskolen.dk/?pageid=371

PS: As a Tendai Practitioner myself, I place this here not to cause issue, nor do I agree with the views presented here, just thought it should be brought to attention.

Gassho,
Jikai Dehn.
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Critique of Tendai

Post by Seishin »

His style of writing reminds me of someone else I've bumped into on a different forum. His critique doesn't seem thought out very well and sounds more like evangelism and sectarian.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Jikai. Hope you are well down under :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Seishin wrote:His style of writing reminds me of someone else I've bumped into on a different forum. His critique doesn't seem thought out very well and sounds more like evangelism and sectarian.
Indeed! Jikai is very generous in using the term "critique" for this kind of polemic. To me, it seems very defensive. For context: Shomon Trans has a well-known Tendai center near Copenhagen, with branch sanghas elsewhere in Denmark. After Ole Nydahl, she is likely the most prominent Buddhist teacher in the country. One wonders if Mr. Fessel might be attempting to lift himself up by bringing others down?

This person is identified elsewhere on that webpage as the author:

https://www.facebook.com/jan.fessel.50?ref=tn_tnmn

I don't object to critique. This incompetent stuff passing as critique is problematic, because it doesn't help anyone learn.

Here's more information on Mr Fessel, courtesy of Seishin's wits and google:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6706
jikai

Post by jikai »

Hi guys,

Yes, I agree Jikan. It certainly doesn't provide a coherent argument, nor does it seem to have any purpose but to 'bring others down' as you say. To be quite honest that is part of the reason I postd it here. That is, to see what others know about the individual in question.. And thank you for the link to Dhamma Wheel - that was quite a rant!

Thank you Seishin, I am well, busy but well :-) I hope your teacher is well?

Gassho,
Jikai.
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

He's keeping well thanks Jikai :)
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

I love his response in that thread to being invited to post here.

I also love how often people who say that the Pali tradition is the only correct one are often completely ignorant of large swathes of the Pali canon.

Return to “Tendai”