Tendai and the Mantra of Light

Seishin
Former staff member

Tendai and the Mantra of Light

Post by Seishin »

I've recently started reading Shingon Refractions: Myoe and the Mantra of Light and I was surprised to read that Genshin advocated the Mantra of Light as part of Nembutsu practice.

I was wondering, is the Mantra of Light still a part of practice in the Tendai Shu?

Gassho,
Seishin :smile:
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Tendai and the Mantra of Light

Post by Seishin »

For reference purposes:
According to the Tendai monk Genshin's Nijugo Zammai Kisho (Twenty Five Day Samadhi Pledge), the main practice of cultivating nembutsu samadhi was followed by the chanting of the Mantra of Light and the empowerment of sand at the end of the practice. In the Ojoyoshu (Collected Sayings on Birth in the Pure Land) Genshin states, "One who seeks the Land of Bliss does not necessarily focus solely on the nembutsu. Each should abide in the realm of pleasurable ease by illuminating one of the other practices in a sustained manner. For example, there are practices of such dharanis as the Zuigu (Following Desire), Sonsho (Victorious), and [Mantra of] Light of the Unfailing Rope Snare. By receiving, maintaining, invoking, and intoning them, all of which are within the various Mahayana teachings, one may attain birth in [Amida's] Land of Bliss"
Shingon Refractions: Myoe and the Mantra of Light; pages 27-28
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Seishin wrote:I was wondering, is the Mantra of Light still a part of practice in the Tendai Shu?
Yes.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Haha! Cool :tongue:
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Just realised the Mantra of Light is listed on the Tendai Jimon Sect list of recitations (No. 8 光明真言) http://www.tendai-jimon.jp/shomyo/index.html#3

Gassho
Seishin

Return to “Tendai”