Exchanges between Taoism and Tantrism?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Exchanges between Taoism and Tantrism?

Postby Rakshasa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 pm

I am interested to study the historical exchanges between Taoist sages and Tantric Buddhists in the Western China- Tibetan region. We have some idea about the interaction of Chan sects and Tibetan Mahayana since the time of the great Samye debate, but I am yet to read the interaction between Tibetan Tantrics and Taoist priests in history. I was reading about how Fahai Lama, a Chinese Dzogchen master, gave Tantric initiations and teachings to his master Huiding, who was also a discple of the famous Hsu Yun. I was surprised to read that Huiding was not aware of the central channel of the human body and the four "chakras" (to use a Buddhist terminology; also called Dantien in Chinese), which I thought was pretty common knowledge among the Chinese Taoists, physicians and even martial artists. I had thought that accomplished masters of Mahayana and even Theravada sects had automatic insight about these things due to their deep meditative experience. Even if the non-Tantric Buddhist masters are not aware of the energy body, it is still quite understandable, but Taoism is full of all these practices. So I am now interested to know about the interaction, and possibly influences and exchanges, between Taoist priests and Tantric Buddhists in China.
Rakshasa

Re: Exchanges between Taoism and Tantrism?

Postby Yudron » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:56 pm

http://earlytibet.com/2008/09/30/phagpas-arrow/

Not exactly what you are looking for, but interesting.
Yudron

Return to Open Dharma