Information on Zen Hat

LynyrdSkynyrd

Information on Zen Hat

Post by LynyrdSkynyrd »

Anyone know about this hat? It is used in Japan, presumably by Zen (possibly Rinzai). I have sen it called 観音帽子 and 菩薩巾

http://www.google.com/imgres?biw=1958&b ... x=36&ty=92

Anything at all will be appreciated.
Matylda

Re: Information on Zen Hat

Post by Matylda »

those hats are not zen.. those are jodo-shu and mightbe nichiren-shu... soto zen uses hats but a bit different, and they were intorduced by Arai Sekizen Zenji, not long ago.. Rinzai uses hats too, but quite different than soto... two monks wearing hats and rinzai like robes are jodo-shu and rinzai hats are slightly similar...

they are used according to the priests' ranks.
LynyrdSkynyrd

Post by LynyrdSkynyrd »

Thank you.

This was the closest picture online to the hat I could find. I have another picture, of a Rinzai monk wearing a *very* similar hat and am looking for more information. As it is an old photograph, and I do not have a scanner, I cannot upload it, so I simply found the closest hat online.

It specifically is pointed, has the long thing trailing in the back and has ridges in the very middle, like the hat on this mummy: http://wtf.thebizzare.com/images/monk_mummy_1.jpg though it is a black and white photo, the hat does not appear to be ornate like this one.

If you have any inforation, regarding the "monks rank" you mentioned and the hat, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks!
:namaste:
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

The priest you gave link to is probably shingon monk.. they had this particular practice when they were mummyfied due to long and complex practices and diet... as for ranks basically each school has its own system when and how to give permission for the hat, however generally it is permitted for higher ranks, mostly abbots etc.

but it is not big deal, just specific Japanese, almost culture thing... I do not know about the origin of this custom.
LynyrdSkynyrd

Post by LynyrdSkynyrd »

None of them are Shingon, I have checked.
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

LynyrdSkynyrd wrote:None of them are Shingon, I have checked.
I meant the mummy's hat not other... those mummified shingon priests look just like the one you send... so it does not have to be dressed like actual priest, they may have some special way to dress them after death. They do not die in those robes and hats. And I am just curious, if it is not a mummy of a shingon priest, then of whom?

anyway if you have more complete links then just send them. Maybe there will be some explanation.
LynyrdSkynyrd

Post by LynyrdSkynyrd »

Matylda wrote:
LynyrdSkynyrd wrote:None of them are Shingon, I have checked.
I meant the mummy's hat not other... those mummified shingon priests look just like the one you send... so it does not have to be dressed like actual priest, they may have some special way to dress them after death. They do not die in those robes and hats. And I am just curious, if it is not a mummy of a shingon priest, then of whom?

anyway if you have more complete links then just send them. Maybe there will be some explanation.
Oh, the mummy I think is Shingon, sorry. The first picture and the one I have are not.

I would provide more information, but I honestly don't have much to give :shrug:

From people I have checked with in Koyasan....none of them have ever seen that hat worn there. Perhaps another Shingon sect, but that really wouldn't fit with the particular picture I am trying to find more information on.

You said Rinzai hats are similar, could you elaborate more on this? As I am shooting in the dark here, any similar hat and all information, including what you have already given and could continue to provide, is extremely appreciated! Particularly though would be Rinzai, as that was the monk in question's affiliation.

Return to “Zen”