No socks allowed!

Luke

No socks allowed!

Post by Luke »

One thing I was surprised to find out when practicing with a Zen group was that socks are forbidden in the zendo! The Tibetan Buddhist groups I had practiced with in the past didn't care whether people wore socks or not in their meditation halls.

Does anyone know the reason for this? Do the Japanese find socks to be "unclean" in some way which bare feet aren't?

I have no problem with this tradition. I just found it to be surprising.

Are socks also forbidden in the meditation halls of Chan and Seon?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: No socks allowed!

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Sigh.
I can't answer your question but I do know that local rules are ... local rules.
The first Tai Chi group I joined practised out of doors, under a tree in a park, and bare feet were welcomed.
The next practised indoors, in a school hall, and insisted on shoes.
:shrug:

:namaste:
Kim
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Probably just the local temple rules. In our Soen zen temple and our Soto zen Center, socks are required. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I heard about one temple where you have to cut your feet off before walking into the practice hall.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
emaho

Post by emaho »

Luke wrote:The Tibetan Buddhist groups I had practiced with in the past didn't care whether people wore socks or not in their meditation halls.

In many Tibetan Centres I know socks are even required for reasons of hygiene.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

At my local temple socks are required. Apparently the sweat from people's feet made the floor very slippery.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Perhaps some require it as a form of asceticism or discipline?

There was a vipassana teacher who went to practice in Asia during the hot and humid summer. So he went inside to an air conditioned room. His legs were getting sore so he used a regular chair. Then his buttocks were getting sore so he put a cushion on the chair. Then he started getting irritated by the mosquitoes and flies so he put up a net all around him. Then his teacher came into the room and he realized how foolish he must look, trying to make the most comfortable environment for meditation, rather than accepting the way things are.
Luke

Post by Luke »

David N. Snyder wrote:Perhaps some require it as a form of asceticism or discipline?
It doesn't feel like it--but perhaps in the winter it might feel that way! lol

I actually rather enjoy the free and naked feeling of being barefoot in the meditation hall! :D

But I am still curious if the preference for bare feet in the zendo is a Japanese thing or not....
plwk

Post by plwk »

As far as I can recall, when I was following one Chán group some years back, I was told two things on why they don't use the socks
a. A towel is already provided for to drape / cover over one's thighs and feet to counter the cold (some centres are air-conditioned here and I anticipate the cold winter in other countries) and to keep warm
b. Socks are regarded as a distraction whilst doing the sitting practice and in this group, one is even told to take off other stuff like hand watches, malas (wrist or the conventional long ones), hand bands and others to obtain an optimal condition to be free from distraction and to be as comfortable as possible.
So, socks isn't the only thing discouraged or disallowed during the practice session.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Then you can be glad not to be told to cut off your hair at the door. :tongue:
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

It's probably a regional phenomenon. I heard a rumor that some Boston sanghas don't allow white socks; whereas in Chicago, red socks are forbidden.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Luke wrote:
But I am still curious if the preference for bare feet in the zendo is a Japanese thing or not....
No, I've seen the opposite in fact. Clean socks, please. Or these wicked things (thankfully too small for my Flintstone feet):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luke

Post by Luke »

Jikan wrote:
Luke wrote:
No, I've seen the opposite in fact. Clean socks, please.
Interesting.
Jikan wrote:Or these wicked things (thankfully too small for my Flintstone feet):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah! So that's where all these rumors about Shingon and Tendai Buddhists secretly being ninjas come from! lol

...At least they aren't made from tabby cats! :P
denny

Post by denny »

Sherab Dorje wrote:I heard about one temple where you have to cut your feet off before walking into the practice hall.
You must enter on hands and knees? Doing prostrations or what?

:namaste:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Public Health would like to remind you that socks are mandatory to prevent the spread of infectious fungal dermatophytes. Athletes foot can spread to other regions as well(jock itch) and infects approx. 15% of the global population.
cj39

Post by cj39 »

It varies by temples. One of the nice Chinese temples in Atlanta does not allow barefeet. Our locale Chines temple doesn't mind socks but you will also find many barefeet there. I gave up trying to make sense of it and when showing up at new temple, I just wear shoes and socks and start taking things off from there.

Return to “Zen”