"a bridge round like a ball" --Chozen-Ji Canon

DGA
Former staff member

"a bridge round like a ball" --Chozen-Ji Canon

Post by DGA »

http://wisconsinzen.org/chozen-ji-canon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zen is to transcend life and death (all dualism), to truly realize that the entire universe is the “True Human Body,” through the discipline of “mind and body in oneness.” Miyamoto Niten (Musashi) called it Iwo no mi (body of a huge boulder—going through life rolling and turning like a huge boulder); Yagyu Sekishusai named it Marobashi no michi (a bridge round like a ball—being in accord with the myriad of changes of life). Besides this actual realization, there is nothing else.

Zen without the accompanying physical experience is nothing but empty discussion. Martial ways without truly realizing the “Mind” is nothing but beastly behavior. We agree to undertake all of this as the essence of our training. All our students, strive diligently! Gentlemen of the Rinzai Honzan (Main Temple) in Japan, open your eyes to this and together let us send it out to the world.

Archbishop Omori Sogen Rotaishi
Dated 1 October 1979
I am struck by the image of a bridge that is round like a ball. Is this phrase Marobashi no michi unique to this line of Zen, or is it one that recurs elsewhere?

many thanks.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: "a bridge round like a ball" --Chozen-Ji Canon

Post by Astus »

Did a little online search for: "丸橋の道", "円橋の道", "丸橋之道", "円橋之道", "まろばしのみち"
No results.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Meido

Post by Meido »

I've not seen the term used by other Zen lines, but it is well-known in Japanese martial art circles. It might be found in Heiho Kadensho, but I don't recall.

As shown, the author of the Chozen-ji "canon" was Omori Sogen Roshi, who aside from being a Zen master had also been a well-known teacher of Jikishinkage Ryu. His background finds obvious expression here.

Here's a link to a Yagyu Shinkage Ryu page in Japan which has a brief description of marobashi no michi.

http://yagyu-shinkage-ryu.jp/rekisi_e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somewhat more familiar terms conveying the same meaning as marobashi no michi might be Fudoshin (immovable mind) or Fudochi (immovable wisdom), i.e. non-abiding, as set forth in Takuan's Fudochi Shimmyo Roku (which also happens to have some relationship with the Yagyu family, being originally writings sent by Takuan to Yagyu Sekishusai's son, Yagyu Munenori).

~ Meido
Meido

Post by Meido »

A bit more here discussing the use of the term within the Shinkage Ryu, and similar expressions found in earlier Zen writings. See page 20:

http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/books/has ... dintro.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even relates it to the traditional enlightenment verse of Manura Sonja [Manorhita]:

My mind shifts in accordance with the myriad circumstances
And this shifting, in truth, is most mysterious
Recognizing my nature while according with the flow
I’ve no more joy, nor any sorrow.

~ Meido
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Thanks once again, Meido. I'll take this as my contemplation today:
Meido wrote: the traditional enlightenment verse of Manura Sonja [Manorhita]:

My mind shifts in accordance with the myriad circumstances
And this shifting, in truth, is most mysterious
Recognizing my nature while according with the flow
I’ve no more joy, nor any sorrow.
Meido

Post by Meido »

Plenty more where that came from. :smile: Charles Luk's translation of all 40 transmission gathas of the Indian and Chinese patriarchs which directly point to the mind:

http://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/luk.html#a

RE marobashi no michi and iwo no mi, it's nice also to consider Daito Kokushi's response when asked "What is Zen, which claims to be a separate transmission outside the teachings?":

"An eight-sided millstone flies through the air".

~ Meido
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

A deep vein. Thank you.

Return to “Zen”