Heart-to-heart Transmission

AlexMcLeod

Heart-to-heart Transmission

Post by AlexMcLeod »

I have not found any mention of heart-to-heart transmission in other Zen/Chan schools besides my teacher's. Is this unique to his lineage, or is it just not written about frequently?
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
jundo cohen

Re: Heart-to-heart Transmission

Post by jundo cohen »

Hi Alex,

Perhaps some of the historians here will correct me, and I am not sure of your Teacher's situnation, but it seems a rather standard description for Dharma Transmission. In Japanese and Chinese, the character for heart and mind are the same ... "shin" in Japanese. 心, So, "mind-to-mind" or "heart-to-heart" would be written the same. For example, the expression 以心伝心 (ishin denshin) means "transmission mind to mind" or also could mean "heart to heart."

https://books.google.com/books?id=dw0Id ... 22&f=false

I hope that helps.

Gassho, Jundo
Last edited by jundo cohen on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Priest/Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha. Treeleaf Zendo was designed as an online practice place for Zen practitioners who cannot easily commute to a Zen Center due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs, and seeks to provide Zazen sittings, retreats, discussion, interaction with a teacher, and all other activities of a Zen Buddhist Sangha, all fully online. The focus is Shikantaza "Just Sitting" Zazen as instructed by the 13th Century Japanese Master, Eihei Dogen. http://www.treeleaf.org
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

It is a basic Zen idea. It is even an idiom in Japanese. Ishin-denshin
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

Ah. I've only ever heard his English translation of it, and looking for that term didn't really yield anything. Thanks for the clarification.
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.

Return to “Zen”