KANGLING

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

KANGLING

Postby Blue Garuda » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:26 pm

I now have a kangling (thigh bone trumpet). This one is copper and bronze, and looks quite old.

Again, I was drawn to a street market and it found me, as my melong had found me in the past, but from a very different source. :)

I know they sometimes come in pairs, but this one looked lonely so I bought it! It sounds 'right' somehow.

Left
Blue Garuda

Re: KANGLING

Postby Stewart » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:34 am

Blue Garuda wrote:I now have a kangling (thigh bone trumpet). This one is copper and bronze, and looks quite old.

Again, I was drawn to a street market and it found me, as my melong had found me in the past, but from a very different source. :)

I know they sometimes come in pairs, but this one looked lonely so I bought it! It sounds 'right' somehow.

Hi BG,

This type of Kangling isn't usually used for Chod. It's usually part of a set of 2 used in Pujas. Played along with Gyalings and Radongs etc

The Chod Kangling is the thigh bone one, also made sometimes of resin or wood. My friends site, Garuda trading, has some really nice wood ones from Bhutan.

I had a really good quality human thigh bone Kangling, but gave it away a few years back to someone going into a 3 year retreat.
s.
Stewart

Postby Dharmaswede » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:48 am

Stewart wrote:
The Chod Kangling is the thigh bone one, also made sometimes of resin or wood. My friends site, Garuda trading, has some really nice wood ones from Bhutan.

Personally, I would prefer wood over resin. Wood has been used traditionally, which resin has not and I believe the material is of importance in this case.

Warm Regards,

Jens
Dharmaswede

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:03 am

Stewart wrote:
Hi BG,

This type of Kangling isn't usually used for Chod. It's usually part of a set of 2 used in Pujas. Played along with Gyalings and Radongs etc

I had a really good quality human thigh bone Kangling, but gave it away a few years back to someone going into a 3 year retreat.

Yes, I've seen the Garuda Trading stock - some nice items.

I'm 'working with circumstances' (as in having £5 for a market stall but not enough for internet shopping sadly). Maybe I'll find the other one. :)
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Stewart » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:12 am

Yes, I agree Jens, I even seen plastic ones somewhere, they just looked and sounded terrible.

The wooden ones from Garuda trading are actually really nice.
s.
Stewart

Postby Terma » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:46 am

Lama Jinpa's "damaruworks" website sells some very good quality wooden kanglings as well. Occasionally a bone kangling is available too...

(http://www.damaruworks.com/)

Terma
Terma

Postby JinpaRangdrol » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:00 am

Little known fact: you can actually use your hand in the shape of a trumpet. Because you're blowing through your finger bones. So if you can't afford a kangling, you can just use your fist!
JinpaRangdrol

Postby dzoki » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:16 am

How about using a pig´s bone for kangling? I think pig´s thigh bone should be pretty easy to come by. And pigs are pretty similar to humans in many aspects (at least biologists say so).
dzoki

Postby lobster » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:52 am

http://buddhism-for-vampires.com/kangling-chod :smile:
Some tips, good to see my look a likey, the scorpion doing something useful . . .
lobster

Postby underthetree » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:09 pm

lobster wrote:http://buddhism-for-vampires.com/kangling-chod :smile:
Some tips, good to see my look a likey, the scorpion doing something useful . . .

What a great article. I've been admiring his writing lately. And I've been looking for a kangling for a while - this spurs me on. Also a kapala - but that's a different thread.

Incidentally, do the DC use kangling in their Chod?
underthetree

Postby simhanada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:47 pm

underthetree wrote:Incidentally, do the DC use kangling in their Chod?

Can do, yes.
simhanada

Postby JinpaRangdrol » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:51 am

underthetree wrote:
lobster wrote:http://buddhism-for-vampires.com/kangling-chod :smile:

What a great article. I've been admiring his writing lately. And I've been looking for a kangling for a while - this spurs me on. Also a kapala - but that's a different thread.

Incidentally, do the DC use kangling in their Chod?

Yes. It's the five-syllable kangling pattern, and it occurs once during the feast. But it can also be done with no kangling.
JinpaRangdrol

Postby tingdzin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:55 am

Better not use a pig bone.
tingdzin

Postby Heruka » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:03 am

fanboy
Heruka

Postby Heruka » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:06 am

fanboy........it makes nosense to blow.

unless you use dig up your loved grandmas bones to use..

that i would love to see..
Heruka

Return to Chod