Chod Empowerments in Nepal

philji

Chod Empowerments in Nepal

Post by philji »

Spring Course 2014 in Kathmandu
Spring Event 2014 at Benchen Monastery, Kathmandu, Nepal

Announcing further transmissions by H.E. Drubwang Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche:

From March 19 to April 1, 2014, H.E. Drubwang Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche has kindly agreed to bestow the collection of empowerments known as the "One Hundred Chöd Empowerments" or "gcod dbang brgya rtsa" in Tibetan. The lineage of these empowerments, which are not literally one hundred, goes back all the way to the originator of the Chöd teachings, Machig Labdrön, herself. This transmission was then continued through the lineages of her two sons, Gyalwa Döndrub and Thönyön Samdrub, as well as her main students such as Gangpa Mugsang and others. It has spread through many schools and lineages. In the Karma Kagyü school, this transmission was eventually received by the 3rd Karmapa Rangjung Dorje and has been passed on until the present day.

The lineage of empowerments begins with Machik Labdrön and passes on via Khugom Chökyi Senge, Dölpa Zangtal, Gyanak Cherbu, Sangye Raptön, Zalmo Depa Sherap, Sumpa Gomchen, Dringom Tokme, and the 3rd Gyalwang Karmapa Rangjung Dorje. From there on onwards there is a continous transmission lineage within the Karma Kamtshang tradition to the present day.

Yet another lineage, which was passed on beginning with the family of Machik Labdrön, continues via Khampu Yale, Yeshe Bar, Sangye Nyima Bar, and the lord Rangjung Dorje. From him these lineages were then passed on to Senge Palwa, Wangchuk Dorje, Könchok Palwa, Özer Gyaltsen, Palden Rinchen, Sangye Tashi, Sangye Rinchen, Zung Kunga Namgyal, Garwang Karma Tenkyong, Sönam Gyurme, Könchok Tenzin, Drupgyü Tenpa Namgyal, Sungrap Gyatso, Künkhyen Chökyi Jungne, Drupchok Delek Rapgye, Drungpa Gyurme Tenpel, and the incarnate upholder of the teachings Karma Drupgyü Tenzin, who bestowed it on Jamgön Kongtrul. From him the lineage then passes on to all our present-day masters, including Drubwang Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche.

Rinpoche will also give the oral transmission and teachings (khrid lung) on Kunkhyen Jigme Lingpa's famous "khrid yig ye shes bla ma", a commentary on Dzogchen practice which condenses the teachings and practices of Longchen Rabjampa's "snying thig ya bzhi" into a single volume.

The Benchen Monastery Committee
Palzang Jangchub

Re: Chod Empowerments in Nepal

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Does anyone know the contents of this series of empowerments, and the yogis/yoginis/lamas associated with them? Will all be associated with Karma Kamtsang? Obviously the "Opening of the Sky Door" wang will be included, though which version is unclear. I know of only of Taranatha's empowerment text off-hand.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
heart

Post by heart »

gcod dbang brgya rtsa

Hundred empowerments of Chö. Chöwang Gyatsa. A collection of one hundred empowerments for the practice of Chö.
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/gcod ... brgya_rtsa

So there will be 100 empowerment's of opening the door to the sky.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Palzang Jangchub

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may very well be), but doesn't a Sky Door wang with unbroken lineage back to Machig Labdrön grant permission (or, as Garchen Rinpoche would say, "give context which enables") for you to practice any Chöd, provided you have the lung? That was my meager understanding.

There are certainly many other Chöd empowerments given... Rainbow Body for Drikung Nüden Dorje's sadhana comes to mind, as well as the various Troma Nakmo deity empowerments for the practices which involve her visualization, and even a Vajravarahi here and there. Since the event description seems to stress that the Hundred Empowerments have come down thru Karma Kagyu, I wonder if the event will feature more Kagyupa-related jenangs & wangs, or if it will include ones such as Dudjom's Troma.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

heart

Post by heart »

I think it is pretty clear, no?
The lineage of these empowerments, which are not literally one hundred, goes back all the way to the originator of the Chöd teachings, Machig Labdrön, herself. This transmission was then continued through the lineages of her two sons, Gyalwa Döndrub and Thönyön Samdrub, as well as her main students such as Gangpa Mugsang and others.
/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Palzang Jangchub

heart wrote:I think it is pretty clear, no?
I was more looking for a list of contents of the various jenang, wang, and wangchen which comprise the "Hundred Empowerments" along with the associated practices and authors, similar to Ringu Tulku's list of contents of the Dam Ngak Dzö:

http://gdamsngagmdzod.tsadra.org/index. ... ngag_mdzod

Can't attend these particular teachings, but if the opportunity presented itself again, I'd like to know what these empower one to be able to do. My main experience is with certain Lüjin sadhana, but obviously there are lots of other Chöd practices (tsok, etc.)

My personal opinion is that it's always good to have context. That's the reason for teachings during the empowerments, right?

Return to “Chod”