Milam Lungten

Palzang Jangchub

Milam Lungten

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

In stumbling around the interwebs looking for translations of the Gyalwang Karmapa's swift rebirth prayer for Karma Chagme Rinpoche, I came across reference to this Chöd text.

All I know is that it was written by Karma Chagme (rather than the usual :quoteunquote: editing he is credited with for most things Chöd), and that the name Milam Lungten means "The Prophetic Dream," or "That which was Foretold in a Dream."

Can anyone shed some light on this sadhana, or point beings in the right direction?

Lama Tsultrim Gyaltsen is apparently leading a Chöd retreat at KTD later this year (11/15 - 11/17) based on the Milam Lungten and the outline of the Chöd retreat by His Holiness Karmapa. Maybe he'll give the lung?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Palzang Jangchub

Re: Milam Lungten

Apparently KTD's bookstore used to sell the text in pecha format, but it's no longer in stock. They give the title as Milam Lungten Chod: An Offering Proclaimed in the Dream Arranged in Verse and Easy to Chant.

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/ProductDeta ... Code=10330

:spy:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Milam Lungten is a short chod-sadhana which the 6th Sharmapa (i think) recieved in a dream!
The visualization is mainly linked with 2nd Sharmapa Dorje Chang, Chakrasamvara and Mahakala with 4 arms (Lama, Yidam, Chokyong)
and with the usual chöd practice.
Lost In Transmission
Palzang Jangchub

:good:
lelopa wrote:Milam Lungten is a short chod-sadhana which the 6th Sharmapa (i think) recieved in a dream!
If the 6th Shamarpa received the practice in an auspicious dream, it would make sense that Karma Chagme wrote the sadhana, since he was a heart son.
The visualization is mainly linked with 2nd Sharmapa Dorje Chang, Chakrasamvara and Mahakala with 4 arms (Lama, Yidam, Chokyong)
and with the usual chöd practice.
Interesting that the visualization is of the 2nd Shamarpa as well as a yidam and chökyong. Seems to mirror the Karma Pakshi sadhana revealed to Yongey Mingyur Dorjé in his waking vision in a few ways (2nd Karmapa, Dorje Phagmo, and Bernagchen, among others). It also derives from around the same time, as YMD was a student of Karma Chagme.

Do you happen to know if the sadhana is available anywhere, lelopa?

:cheers:

Dharmasagara

Post by Dharmasagara »

Hi everybody,
I fear there are a few misconceptions about the chöd practice called Milam Lungten, Received in a Dream.
Karma Chagme states in the colophon (as he usually does) the coming-about of writing the text: It was he, himself (calling himself, as usual, Raga Asya, the Sanskrit form of Chagme - without Attachment), who had this vision in a dream. He recognized it to be of the same meaning as a tsog practice to Four-Armed Mahakala, composed by the 2nd Shamarpa Kachö Wangpo but never written down, which had come down to his own root teacher the 6th Shamarpa. So here is the link to why in the recitation one's own root lama appearing as Vajradhara is thought not to be different in meaning from Kachö Wangpo.
The chöd offering is done towards the three roots, namely lama Vajradhara, yidam Chakrasamvara and protector 4-armed Mahakala. (Note that 4 armed Mahakala is linked to Chakrasmavara practice). Without going in too much detail, the visu is done in a way which is strongly linked to curing diseases. Chagme Rinpoche states in the colophon that this practice is supreme in curing illness and mental problems (nad gdon). He repeats the same claim while giving a short summery of this practice in his Mountain Dharma, in the chöd chapter.
As far as I have experienced it the Milam Lungten is a handy replacement for the some longer Ludjin Body offering daily chöd practice as done every evening in retreat. For that reason, most Karma Kagyü lamas should hold the lung of this text.
Hope that helped some,
Sagara
Palzang Jangchub

:good:

Thank you for clarifying, Sagara. Much appreciated.

There's been a bit of Chakrasamvara activity recently, at least in the Drikung lineage. Do you think it's a pre-req to have empowerment for Khorlo Demchok and 4-armed Mahakala before engaging in this practice?

Is the ML really that much shorter or more concise than the Daily Lüjin? The one KTD used to sell is 20 pecha pages, which seems to be the same length.

Any idea where one could get the sadhana, provided they get the lung?

Dharmasagara

Post by Dharmasagara »

Karma Jinpa wrote:
Thank you for clarifying, Sagara. Much appreciated.

There's been a bit of Chakrasamvara activity recently, at least in the Drikung lineage. Do you think it's a pre-req to have empowerment for Khorlo Demchok and 4-armed Mahakala before engaging in this practice?

Is the ML really that much shorter or more concise than the Daily Lüjin? The one KTD used to sell is 20 pecha pages, which seems to be the same length.

Any idea where one could get the sadhana, provided they get the lung?
Hi again,
I have never heart that one would need en empowerment of Chakrasamvara to do Milam Lungten. In a way, it is like any other Chöd practice of the Machigma lineage - you wouldn't need the specific special empowerment of all the different lamas and deties to who you offer. As far as I recall it, it is a bit shorter to recite/ chant than the Ludjin - 25min for the Lüdjin vs. about 15min for Milam Lungten - but maybe my memory isn't accurate. You have to throw into the equation that in the Lüdjin you have two mantra recitations, start and finish music several times etc. Milam Lungten you do from start to finish in one go. Very practical practice, from that perspective.
Sorry, I have no idea where to get the translated sadhana. The Tibetan would be probably easy to come by, e.g. TBRC.

Regards,
Sagara
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

Karma Jinpa wrote:Apparently KTD's bookstore used to sell the text in pecha format, but it's no longer in stock. They give the title as Milam Lungten Chod: An Offering Proclaimed in the Dream Arranged in Verse and Easy to Chant.

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/ProductDeta ... Code=10330

:spy:
maybe you should inquire there when you have the lung , probly they know how to provide you a copy of the text.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Karma Jinpa wrote::good:

no - sorry! we have recieved only a phonetics-version wit ha bad translation - i am looking for a tibetan version - icouldn`t find any... :shrug:
Lost In Transmission
Palzang Jangchub

lelopa wrote:
Karma Jinpa wrote::good:

no - sorry! we have recieved only a phonetics-version wit ha bad translation - i am looking for a tibetan version - icouldn`t find any... :shrug:
No worries. I spoke to a friend who's going to ask Neydo's khenpo about the text. If all goes well, a translation may ensue.

:sage:

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Karma Jinpa wrote: No worries. I spoke to a friend who's going to ask Neydo's khenpo about the text. If all goes well, a translation may ensue.

:sage:

What is happening? Who is the Khenpo friend?
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

How long, in terms of folios and pages, is this text?
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Palzang Jangchub

According to TBRC, there are 2 different recensions of Karma Chagme's Sungbum; one from si khron zhing chen mi rigs zhib 'jug su'o bod kyi rig gnas zhib 'jug khang and the other from gnas mdo gsang sngags chos 'phel gling gi dpe rnying nyams gso khang:
rmi lam lung bstan kyis bstabs pa tshigs bcad 'don bde bar bkod pa/ - Bibliographical Title

page 87 in Volume 25

page 96 in Volume 25

http://tbrc.org/#!rid=O22933|O22933C2O0969$W22933
rmi lam lung bstan gyi bstab pa tshigs bcad 'don bde bar bkod pa/ (tha) -Bibliographical Title

page 281 in Volume 52

page 288 in Volume 52

http://tbrc.org/#!rid=O1KG8321|O1KG8321C2O2400$W1KG8321

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

thx :bow:
i was not able to find it there :emb:
Lost In Transmission
lama tsewang

Post by lama tsewang »

anyone who wants to help me get, or send a c
opy to me of this milam lungten/ this would be good , as you say its sounds like a shorter version of the daily lujin
Palzang Jangchub

So it's been right around a year since I first posted about this. KTD is now back to selling their translation of the Milam Lungten sadhana, which I've since obtained a copy of. As of this writing, I'm still seeking the lung. No one at Thrangu Tashi Yangtse gompa in Namo Buddha had it, and right now it seems all of the lamas and khenpos from Neydo Tashi Chöling (Chagme Rinpoche's monastery) are out of Nepal.

I'll be headed to India in the next couple days, and will let you all know if I find someone near Dharamshala who has it. Otherwise perhaps there will be someone at Neydo when I return to Nepal in late November. In the meantime, if there are any new leads, please feel free to post them here. Any information on lamas who hold the lung and can give it would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone interested, here are the links to the sadhana and Lama Tsultrim Gyaltsen's audio teachings on Namse Bangdzo:

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/product_p/10330.htm

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/Chod_Milam_ ... _p/970.htm

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

I received the nam kha go jay initiation and the lung of Milam Lungten many, many years ago from the ex-retreat master of Palpung Lama Thubten. He gave it in London as he was resident at Manchester Kagyu Ling at the time. I looked at the Cd link you gave and I have this CD but it is not in any sense a teaching on the sadhana just different performances of the sadhana. In fact I'd love to know if there are any commentaries on this practice available?
It is a beautiful practice and I enjoy doing it :smile:
marcusocasey

Post by marcusocasey »

Lama Tsultrim Gyaltsen is teaching another Milam Lungten retreat from 11/14 - 11/16 this year. I confirmed with him that he gives the lung on the first day of the retreat. My teacher, Lama Kathy Wesley in Columbus, OH is also able to give the lung.
marcusocasey

Post by marcusocasey »

marcusocasey wrote:Lama Tsultrim Gyaltsen is teaching another Milam Lungten retreat from 11/14 - 11/16 this year. I confirmed with him that he gives the lung on the first day of the retreat. My teacher, Lama Kathy Wesley in Columbus, OH is also able to give the lung.
I forgot to mention--this retreat will also be at KTD.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Lama Chogdrub Dorje and Lama Tashi Dondrub (both karma kagyu) are holders of this transmission too....
i think Lama Tashi now lives in the USA somewhere.
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Chod”