Dealing with a stressful situation while doing no harm

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
RedFox

Dealing with a stressful situation while doing no harm

Post by RedFox »

Hello,

I have recently put myself into a situation that is wearing on my nerves and I'm at a point I don't know what to do. I have just put too much on my plate with another individual and it's affecting my own spiritual practice.

I am a person that like's to have alone time to sit and read, contemplate, meditate, and just be by myself for periods of time. Recently I have befriended an individual that doesn't respect that. He comes over un-invited and preaches to me out of the Bible. Telling me what I need to believe in order to reach heaven. Now I'm fine with Christianity, I myself even read out of the Bible occasionally because I believe I can learn from it also.

However now the situation has reached a boiling point with me and I wish to dissolve this relationship without doing any harm. Any suggestions?
WASW

Re: Dealing with a stressful situation while doing no harm

Post by WASW »

Have you explained to him in a straight-forward and kind manner the ways in which his behaviour at the moment is unacceptable? If this person considers you a friend then they would hopefully be willing to consider changing their behaviour to retain your friendship.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

RedFox wrote:He comes over un-invited and preaches to me out of the Bible.
From your description, I see this as having much less to do with religion and much more to do with personal boundaries. It sounds like your boundaries with this person aren't clear. If you don't want him coming over to your place uninvited, you need to tell him this straight up. You might "hurt his feelings" no matter how nicely you say this but it sounds like something you need to get off your chest and something he needs to learn.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

It's what happens when we try to be too friendly thinking that we can help others. Now, I would tell that person if he does not stop that nonsense, I can't be his friend no more. I believe Ayu (another member) has the same issue too.
It’s eye blinking.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Mkoll wrote:I see this as having much less to do with religion and much more to do with personal boundaries.
:good:
Next time he invites himself over, tell him, "Inviting yourself here is not acceptable. Preaching Christianity to me is not acceptable. Please stop doing those things."

Om mani padme hum
Keith
RedFox

Post by RedFox »

LastLegend wrote:It's what happens when we try to be too friendly thinking that we can help others. Now, I would tell that person if he does not stop that nonsense, I can't be his friend no more. I believe Ayu (another member) has the same issue too.
Thank you, that's exactly what the issue is/was.
It resolved itself the other day as a matter of fact. I won't say how because I don't believe that's my place to say, however the situation has resolved itself.
Thank you all.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”