The right Buddhism for me?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Aduro

The right Buddhism for me?

Post by Aduro »

Buddhism seems to be vast in variations of ..practice. At least that it is how I have interpreted the many different types of Buddhism. What I would like from Buddhism is not entirely clear to me, other than emptying my mental cup. Where would someone such as myself start and which is the right school of buddhism for me? I have tried to read books on this subject but it just makes me more confused on the question stated in title. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: The right Buddhism for me?

Post by Grigoris »

Are you the intellectual or the experiental type?

Do you value faith?

Do you like simplicity or complexity?

Movement or serenity?

How do you feel about prayer?

Ritual?

"Foreign" languages?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Aduro

Post by Aduro »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Are you the intellectual or the experiental type.

Do you value faith?

Do you like simplicity or complexity?

Movement or serenity?
I am the experiential type.

I am unclear how I feel about faith.

I appreciate simplicity and complexity when they are in the right place.

I love serenity.
Aduro

Post by Aduro »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
How do you feel about prayer?

Ritual?

"Foreign" languages?
I feel empty at prayer which leads me to wonder if I am doing it right.

I am often confused about rituals and ceremony and their difference and importance. In my fathers culture there seems to be a fine line between the two.

I speak English and some of my fathers first nation language.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Then I would recommend Chan or Zen Buddhism.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Aduro

Post by Aduro »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Then I would recommend Chan or Zen Buddhism.
Thank You,

Do you mind if I message you with some added extra information? I am not sure if it is of any significance but possibly?
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Aduro,

This is a good question. Sherab Dorje's advice is good. One thing that's important to be aware of: your needs and skills and attitudes will change over time as you practice and learn. For myself, at first I found the idea of sitting through a ritual of any kind to be worse than a bad visit to the dentist. Ten years later, I couldn't get enough of it, and ten years after that, I'm still enthusiastic as ever to attend any kind of Buddhist ritual. So what's good for you at the start may not be what's best for you over the long haul.

The best thing is to keep an open mind and an eagerness to learn. If you have these, then you'll be fine wherever you go.

Enjoy your travels.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Aduro wrote:I have tried to read books on this subject but it just makes me more confused on the question stated in title.
What exactly are you confused about?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

It may also be beneficial to read about the broadest Buddhist ideas that are common to all schools, such as The Noble Eightfold Path, and the Four Noble Truths.
Of consideration also is what centers/practice communities are physically near you?
Namu Amida Butsu
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Aduro,

Where are you located? I'd suggest checking out some reputable centres/temples in your area. Chan/Zen/Seon Buddhism certainly values 'emptying your mental cup' and the story you seem to have in mind came from that tradition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_Zen_Stories

But it can also be unsatisfying to the ego, because in true Zen teaching, there is nothing to grasp, to appropriate. So if one wants to get some validation, to learn a lot of things and go up a spiritual ladder, a good Zen centre is a bad place to go.

_/|\_
Dan
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Aduro wrote: Where would someone such as myself start and which is the right school of buddhism for me? I have tried to read books on this subject but it just makes me more confused on the question stated in title. Any suggestions?
Hi Aduro! For me everything begins with Shakyamuni Buddha. So I would suggest at first reading about his life. Then I'd look around at various groups and see what I liked. This is what I did in fact. For various reasons I began Zen practice and then moved to Vajrayana. But take your time and work things out for you.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
kirtu wrote: For me everything begins with Shakyamuni Buddha. So I would suggest at first reading about his life.
Good call. :thumbsup:

I found this book very good for that purpose... http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Buddha-A ... 1928706126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maitri,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Aduro wrote:Buddhism seems to be vast in variations of ..practice. At least that it is how I have interpreted the many different types of Buddhism. What I would like from Buddhism is not entirely clear to me, other than emptying my mental cup. Where would someone such as myself start and which is the right school of buddhism for me? I have tried to read books on this subject but it just makes me more confused on the question stated in title. Any suggestions?

Thank you
What you want? I meant what is your goal?
It’s eye blinking.
Aduro

Post by Aduro »

Thank You all for the input given. I appreciate all responses. To answer a couple questions, confusion comes from overload. I learn best through experience. As for the other question, I would like to learn to empty my filled mental cup. What ever comes in the process of doing so would be welcome.

Thanks again
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Aduro wrote:What I would like from Buddhism is not entirely clear to me, other than emptying my mental cup.
What do you want to emtpy it for?
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Aduro wrote:Thank You all for the input given. I appreciate all responses. To answer a couple questions, confusion comes from overload. I learn best through experience. As for the other question, I would like to learn to empty my filled mental cup. What ever comes in the process of doing so would be welcome.

Thanks again

I'd just visit some Sangha, meet some teachers, see what gels with you, and start meditating then. After a bit of that you might be able to find what tradition or philosophical school you're interested in. I say that only because of the overload comment..if the amount of stuff available is overload, it might be because it's time to experience some different things, then drill down what it is you are interested in.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Aduro

Post by Aduro »

Gwenn Dana wrote:
Aduro wrote:What I would like from Buddhism is not entirely clear to me, other than emptying my mental cup.
What do you want to emtpy it for?

Much to do with the three marks of existence.
Aduro

Post by Aduro »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Aduro wrote:Thank You all for the input given. I appreciate all responses. To answer a couple questions, confusion comes from overload. I learn best through experience. As for the other question, I would like to learn to empty my filled mental cup. What ever comes in the process of doing so would be welcome.

Thanks again

I'd just visit some Sangha, meet some teachers, see what gels with you, and start meditating then. After a bit of that you might be able to find what tradition or philosophical school you're interested in. I say that only because of the overload comment..if the amount of stuff available is overload, it might be because it's time to experience some different things, then drill down what it is you are interested in.
Thank you for the post/opinion. People have been very helpful on this forum.
dude

Post by dude »

Thanks again
Just keep reading, and putting into practice what is appropriate.
Do that consistently and you will see results.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”