Going Monastaic in one of the Five Schools

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Dharmabrother

Going Monastaic in one of the Five Schools

Post by Dharmabrother »

Im thinking about becoming a monk in one of the 5 traditional schools (tibetan). I may also visit a saivite temple and meditate there as well.

I might take 5 years of my life being monastaic, and trying to get closer to enlightenment and recieve attainments.. that is my goal
5 years is not enough, but it's a start.. i dont even think 50 years is enough.. but 5 years out of my life, and then return to society and civilization and accomplish my worldy material goals.. and then after my children are grown, raised and on their own, i might return to monastaic life, they will know where im at if the TRULY need me.

I can contact the headquarters of one of the five tibetan schools for this, and ask about ordination, i wonder thats the minimum requirements of commitment?

This will be awhile.. In the meantime, I can move to california and study with serious lama in that area. Ohio has nothing here. And everybody in this area needs the Dharma teaching badly.. I see so much negativity, where i live, I do mantra, and prayers, and sometimes invoking such light into your life keeps people away from you, because many people have darkness and demons walking with them. Especially in this town. so I want to stay pure, and realize my own self enlightment, and eventually work up to the yidam with a Lama starting in the west part of the U.s. where more dharma activity is.. and Then eventually, move to the east for a little while and get out of the states.

I know if i move to LA or NYC, im closer to meditation centers ect. I do travel to columbus right now at the Choling center with Lama Kathy, and in Indiana, Theres a temple with a Lama who is a oracle of Dorje Shugden, I have yet to visit there, although I've spoken to them at various times.

But theres more activity in the big cities.. even In Texas theres a lot of Dharma activity.

at any rate.. Im considering Monastaic life.. I think ill get my bills squared away, go bankrupt, Finish college, and then Go Monastaic

Does anyone have any information about Monastaic life and who i can talk to?
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Going Monastaic in one of the Five Schools

Post by kirtu »

You should contact a real monk and ask them. And you should read extensively about the life of a monk. It's very disciplined as one has numerous rules to follow.

Please be aware that the oracle you mentioned is not orthodox Tibetan Buddhism. Unfortunately this is a problem as some people still follow this practice.

What town in Ohio do you live in? People in Ohio are usually very kind. There is Dharma in Ohio too. As you note in Columbus and also in Cleaveland. People in Ohio need Dharma like everyone as you said.

In preparation for taking monks vows, as long as you have taken refuge, you might consider taking the 8 Mahayana Precepts for a day. This would be a kind of ascetic foretaste of monks vows. Initially you would need to take them from a monk or lama or from a layperson holding them.

Please remember to take refuge in Buddha, Dharma and Sangha daily even if you haven't formally done so. Also taking and retaking the Bodhisattva Vows will push your commitment forward to attain enlightenment for all beings.

One very good book written by a Western academic who was a monk is "The Sound of One Hand Clapping". Although that is a Zen koan, the Westerner was a Tibetan Buddhist monk and lived and studied in a monastery in India. His observations are heavily academic as that was his interest but they are also very good. Actually Lama Kathy Wesley at the Columbus KTD center would be the person to really talk to about this as you see her from time to time and she will square you away (a military term - she knows what she is talking about).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
uan

Post by uan »

Dharmabrother wrote: I know if i move to LA or NYC, im closer to meditation centers ect. I do travel to columbus right now at the Choling center with Lama Kathy, and in Indiana, Theres a temple with a Lama who is a oracle of Dorje Shugden, I have yet to visit there, although I've spoken to them at various times.
Dharmabrother, you should tread carefully with a temple associated with Dorje Shugden. The Dalai Lama has renounced this practice and has asked that it not be continued (and for those that continue it, they are not to attend his teachings).

The ToS here has several links that you can look at. Here's what HHDL has said:

http://www.dalailama.com/messages/dolgy ... ess-advice

Taking monastic vows in the Tibetan tradition are not something to take lightly, nor are they taken with the thought that they may be given up in the near future so the monk may return to lay life. They are meant for life. Also, many of the practices/empowerments in Vajrayana are for life as well. I'd recommend starting small, not over thinking things, and build on a solid, doable foundation.

There's a thread on Tibetan Buddhist Monasticism in the West that may be helpful:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=11042
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

If you have a connection with Lama Kathy, I'd suggest sharing your aspiration with her. She has a very good connection with KTD, the Karmapa's official monastery in the USA. If you are interested in Gelug pa, there are more reputable teachers and centres you could connect with who are not in opposition with HH Dalai Lama. This could save you some major headaches later.
Dharmabrother

Post by Dharmabrother »

Thanks for that yall. Im more akin to the three out of the five schools like Bon, Kagyu, and Sakya. Gelug is ok, but the first three are more my speed.

So if there monastaic, then Ill talk to Lama Kathy, and try to distance myself from the Gaden monastery in Indiana.

I never saw the big controversy over Dorje Shugden.. He's a dharma protector, is he the only one that is singled out. how much trouble does he cause? is he a demon?

But My goal is a monk, Ratna or dorje shugden is the least of my concern
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Dharmabrother wrote:Thanks for that yall. Im more akin to the three out of the five schools like Bon, Kagyu, and Sakya. Gelug is ok, but the first three are more my speed.

So if there monastaic, then Ill talk to Lama Kathy, and try to distance myself from the Gaden monastery in Indiana.

I never saw the big controversy over Dorje Shugden.. He's a dharma protector, is he the only one that is singled out. how much trouble does he cause? is he a demon?

But My goal is a monk, Ratna or dorje shugden is the least of my concern
Finding a wisdom lama with a vast mind that goes beyond ego and materialism, and is suffused with unlimited wisdom and compassion should be your main concern, not looking for a particular school or monastery.

You won't find that in the places folks are telling you to avoid. Trust us.
Dharmabrother

Post by Dharmabrother »

Finding a wisdom lama with a vast mind that goes beyond ego and materialism, and is suffused with unlimited wisdom and compassion should be your main concern, not looking for a particular school or monastery.

You won't find that in the places folks are telling you to avoid. Trust us.

:twothumbsup: :good:

Yudron, This is why i have a certain affection for you.. well said!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”