Buddhist mythology

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Sko

Buddhist mythology

Post by Sko »

As we all know, Buddhism in its more simplistic form focuses on practice and development and the escape from samsara. But culturally there's far more complexities than the basic practice would have you believe; the specifics of all 16-ish Narakas including Yama and his Ox-head and Horse-face guardians, Mount Sumeru and the heavens, the Formless and the Form and the Desire realms, etc. In your opinion, how important do you think it is to acquaint yourself with Buddhist mythology for you in your practice and others in their practice?
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Buddhist mythology

Post by Huseng »

A lot of Buddhist scripture will not make much sense without understanding the basics of Buddhist cosmology and mythology.
rory

Post by rory »

You definitely should become acquainted with mythology and iconography. This is a Japan-centric link I find very useful. There are all the esoteric and modern varieties of Avalokitesvara and even obscure deities like the 4 Guardian Kings, Bonten (Brahma) etc with their iconography and discussion.
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/family-tree.shtml
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

If you are comparing how mythological all that stuff is
to how real and unmythological you yourself are,
then it is not very important.
But if you see the mythology in what you have made up as yourself, that you take for real,
and then look at these Buddhist things in that context,
then they can have very profound meaning.

BTW, it's funny that your Dharma Wheel avatar is "DW". :tongue:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Sko wrote:As we all know, Buddhism in its more simplistic form focuses on practice and development and the escape from samsara. But culturally there's far more complexities than the basic practice would have you believe; the specifics of all 16-ish Narakas including Yama and his Ox-head and Horse-face guardians, Mount Sumeru and the heavens, the Formless and the Form and the Desire realms, etc. In your opinion, how important do you think it is to acquaint yourself with Buddhist mythology for you in your practice and others in their practice?

They aren't separable..there is no "Buddhist philosophy" separate from the worldview of the myths, the only question is what conclusions you draw from the myths. You can take the mythology and be quite skeptical, and still draw essentially the same conclusions about life that someone who takes a more literal interpretation does.

It's important to focus on the implications of things, not whether or not they match up with your worldview when you try to interpret them literally.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

There are many Buddhist stories with mythology. It could be helpful to know a bit about them when you read stories.

I myself try to strip my Buddhism of all the mythological and cultural nuances to make a "modern" Buddhism for myself. I don´t take mythology so seriously. But I accept the rebirth and karma doctrines of course.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

odysseus wrote:There are many Buddhist stories with mythology. It could be helpful to know a bit about them when you read stories.

I myself try to strip my Buddhism of all the mythological and cultural nuances to make a "modern" Buddhism for myself. I don´t take mythology so seriously. But I accept the rebirth and karma doctrines of course.
Why the heck would you want to do that?
Half of the teaching can be in the metaphor behind the myth...
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

rory wrote:You definitely should become acquainted with mythology and iconography. This is a Japan-centric link I find very useful. There are all the esoteric and modern varieties of Avalokitesvara and even obscure deities like the 4 Guardian Kings, Bonten (Brahma) etc with their iconography and discussion.
gassho
Rory
Two thumbs up for this great link :twothumbsup: I love it and use it often.

Gassho,
Seishin
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Seishin wrote:
rory wrote:You definitely should become acquainted with mythology and iconography. This is a Japan-centric link I find very useful. There are all the esoteric and modern varieties of Avalokitesvara and even obscure deities like the 4 Guardian Kings, Bonten (Brahma) etc with their iconography and discussion.
gassho
Rory
Two thumbs up for this great link :twothumbsup: I love it and use it often.

Gassho,
Seishin
It's great, but it doesn't include Mothra or Gojira.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”