Questions from a Curious World's Religions Student

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Sean8585

Questions from a Curious World's Religions Student

Post by Sean8585 »

Hello! My name is Sean and I am a world religions student in college. I am doing a presentation on my religion of choice and I chose Buddhism If anyone who has any interest in helping me out and practices the religion please feel free to answer these 10 questions below, that would really help me out with my curiosity as well as academically.
:namaste:

1. What does it mean to be human? (Do humans have souls? Do only humans have souls?)

2. What is the basic human problem?

3. What is the cause of the problem?

4. What is the end or goal of transformation?

5. What are the means of transformation?

6. What is the nature of reality? (Is time linear meaning when you die your soul leaves your body? Or is time cyclical i the form of a cycle of rebirth?)

7. What is the sacred? (Are there any deities?)

8. How do you personally feel about other religions?

9. How do you feel about the use of drugs or alcohol in your religion?

10. What do you think of people from other religious backgrounds converting to Buddhism?
JamyangTashi

Re: Questions from a Curious World's Religions Student

Post by JamyangTashi »

Sean8585 wrote: 1. What does it mean to be human? (Do humans have souls? Do only humans have souls?)
To be human is be in a condition where the thought 'I am human' occurs. What's a soul?
Sean8585 wrote: 2. What is the basic human problem?
Suffering, stress, dissatisfaction. Identifying experiences as problems.
Sean8585 wrote: 3. What is the cause of the problem?
Ignorance.
Sean8585 wrote: 4. What is the end or goal of transformation?
The cessation of suffering, stress, dissatisfaction.
Sean8585 wrote: 5. What are the means of transformation?
The noble eightfold path.
Sean8585 wrote: 6. What is the nature of reality? (Is time linear meaning when you die your soul leaves your body? Or is time cyclical i the form of a cycle of rebirth?)
Suchness.
Sean8585 wrote: 7. What is the sacred? (Are there any deities?)
Anything to which the label 'sacred' is applied. Depends what you mean by deity.
Sean8585 wrote: 8. How do you personally feel about other religions?
Good for them.
Sean8585 wrote: 9. How do you feel about the use of drugs or alcohol in your religion?
Drugs and alcohol can be an obstruction to ending ignorance and can create a risk of unvirtuous behavior, but everyone gets to make their own decisions.
Sean8585 wrote: 10. What do you think of people from other religious backgrounds converting to Buddhism?
Good for them.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

What is said above is true, but the word 'ignorance' (avidya) has a particular meaning in regard to Buddhism. It isn't like ignorance of a particular subject, but the condition of ignorance, which is basically failing to understand how craving gives rise to suffering, and so on. So it is like a state of existence, rather than 'ignorance' in the usual sense of not knowing about a particular subject.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Sean8585 wrote:
1. What does it mean to be human? (Do humans have souls? Do only humans have souls?)
If soul defined as something non physical, then yes. But what is non-physical? We can only understand physical. Non-physical can be easily seen as a projection, concept, or thought.
A problem is what we define it to be. What are we not happy with? Can we be happy all the time without mental burden?
We cause it.
To live happily and be free from fears-fear of death, fear of unknown.
Study your mind.
6. What is the nature of reality? (Is time linear meaning when you die your soul leaves your body? Or is time cyclical i the form of a cycle of rebirth?)
I have never seen nature. Reality is this, anything else is belief.
If time is linear, that means it has a direction. What direction do you see?
I have not seen any. Buddhism talk about deities.
Good.
It has a point.
10. What do you think of people from other religious backgrounds converting to Buddhism?
Not too bad. :lol:
It’s eye blinking.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Sean8585 wrote: 1. What does it mean to be human? (Do humans have souls? Do only humans have souls?)
It means having enough awareness to seek an end to suffering, and enough suffering to be motivated to do so.
There is no soul.
Unsatisfactoriness.
The wish that things would be other than they are, which is caused by ignorance of the way things are.
An end to unsatisfactoriness.
The Noble Eightfold Path, sometimes formulated as the Six Perfections.
All things are empty of inherent existence.
Time is linear - it goes forward, not backward.
Your parenthetical clarification obfuscates rather than clarifies. There is no soul. Time is not cyclical, but there is rebirth.
Anything you revere. There are said to be beings called devas, but they are just as messed up as we are, and are not revered.
If they don't bother me, I won't bother them.
Just one more attachment to confuse people. On the other hand, I don't mind a nice glass of wine once in a while.
That would be a good thing.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

To be human is an idea.

In looking for something permanent and unchanging that could be described as a soul, I have found nothing.
Sean8585 wrote: 2. What is the basic human problem?
Suffering.
Sean8585 wrote: 3. What is the cause of the problem?
Ignorance of the true nature of self.
Sean8585 wrote: 4. What is the end or goal of transformation?
Cessation of suffering.
Sean8585 wrote: 5. What are the means of transformation?
Dissolution of false conceptions of the self through observation and direct experience guided by the Eightfold Path.
Sean8585 wrote: 6. What is the nature of reality? (Is time linear meaning when you die your soul leaves your body? Or is time cyclical i the form of a cycle of rebirth?)
Good question.

Time is linear because you cannot move backward in time. All phenomena arise and then fade away. Rebirth does not require time to be cyclical, nor does it require a soul.
Sean8585 wrote: 7. What is the sacred? (Are there any deities?)
Sacred is a thought.
Sean8585 wrote: 8. How do you personally feel about other religions?
Loving, though I have not found them to be as effective. See my answer to #3.
Sean8585 wrote: 9. How do you feel about the use of drugs or alcohol in your religion?
I feel that drugs and alcohol can bring temporary happiness and can also bring suffering, especially when attachment is involved. On the other hand, the cessation of suffering brings lasting happiness to yourself and others, so what is the need for drugs or alcohol?
Sean8585 wrote: 10. What do you think of people from other religious backgrounds converting to Buddhism?
I hope they will benefit as much from that decision as I have :)
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Ill tell you when I'm 80. If I don't make it that far; then it means whatever we want it to, which is both beatiful and terrifying.
as for the souls.. don't know but it seems unlikely.

In a nutshell.. Ignorance and suffering.

Ignorance and suffering.

satisfaction.

Rafts. Some are big and some are tiny some have bells and whistles and make loud noises.

Illusory. - how could we possibly know this?

We are. Mayhapssno?

Some 're taller' some are fatter, some are really annoying. Most of them help people in some way or another.

Don't care, but there just doing themselves a disservice.

10. What do you think of people from other religious backgrounds converting to Buddhism
good luck!
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

There are times Jesse when a non answer might be better than subjective meanderings.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

There is a traditional Buddhist phrase, "precious human rebirth," which suggests that being reborn as a human is as rare as a sea turtle who, once in a zillion years, sticks his head into some kind of hoop...oh never mind. Just rare. And precious, because we (unlike sea turtles) get to practice Buddhism. Even though there's suffering and all. Buddhists tend to be allergic to "soul" talk, though. No self, remember? (Unless Buddha Nature.) But there is reincarnation. Beings who reincarnate are traditionally said to include gods, asuras (another kind of god who fight with the first kind), humans, animals (but not plants), ghosts, and beings in hell. Yes, they do inter-carnate from one category to another.

I think your teacher may be trying to get you to look up the Four Noble Truths.

There are a variety of traditional Buddhist views of the nature of reality. Perhaps the world is reducible to atoms. Or perhaps everything (even atoms) are "empty" in the sense of being impermanent, divisible into parts, and subject to causes and conditions. (Wiki "sunyata.") Or perhaps everything somehow boils down to mind, whose original nature is pure and luminous. As for the afterlife, reincarnation. Yes, cyclical--at least until one escapes it.

Um, the Three Jewels (Buddha, Dharma, Sangha)? Yes, lots of deities, but these are secondary (like angels for the Abrahamic religions) and rather culture-bound. Many are said to have converted to Buddhism!

Like them a lot! Assuming we are speaking of more or less normal ones (and not, say Scientology or something), they are as deserving of respect as Buddhism, despite our differences.

These are generally not used in the religion itself (google "fifth precept"), with rare ceremonial exceptions. Taking this precept is optional, though, so outside of temples and monasteries, each person decides to what extent they are willing to practice this.

I am such a person, as are (I surmise) many if not most of those posting on this board. It is hard to generalize. But the Dalai Lama has urged people to stay in their original religions, if possible, or at least to think long and hard before converting.
(no longer participating on this board)
Osho

Post by Osho »

Sean8585 wrote:Hello! My name is Sean and I am a world religions student in college. I am doing a presentation on my religion of choice and I chose Buddhism If anyone who has any interest in helping me out and practices the religion please feel free to answer these 10 questions below, that would really help me out with my curiosity as well as academically.
:namaste:

This
Suffering

Suffering

Nothing

Diligent Cultivation

Cyclical ( using your definition)

Nothing is sacred. There are no deities.

Something to suit all tastes and cultures.

We don't encourage the use of either alcohol or 'recreational' pharmaceuticals.

One cannot 'convert' to Buddhism as such.
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Simon E. wrote:There are times Jesse when a non answer might be better than subjective meanderings.
Most of Buddhism is subjective meanderings.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Very revealing.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”