Newbie on Dharani Mantra

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
foodcrazee

Newbie on Dharani Mantra

Post by foodcrazee »

Hello all,

Am a newbie in Buddhism and because of my son, i am asked to chant the Usnisa Vijaya Dharani to help clear my son's karma. Question is how do i do it correctly? My master is chinese speaking and i am not fluent in that language for Buddhism context. Please Advise.
moron

Re: Newbie on Dharani Mantra

Post by moron »

foodcrazee wrote:Hello all,

Am a newbie in Buddhism and because of my son, i am asked to chant the Usnisa Vijaya Dharani to help clear my son's karma. Question is how do i do it correctly? My master is chinese speaking and i am not fluent in that language for Buddhism context. Please Advise.
Hi friend,
I am also newbie here so I can not tell you how to practice correctly this Dharani...but I have found this chanting of
Usnisa Vijaya Dharani on you tube .It is very pleasant to listen it and I hope at list help you with the pronunciation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgoCnLGcS3k

:anjali:
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

foodcrazee wrote:Hello all,

Tradition has it that 1/7th of the merit generated by the enactor of such practice is received by the beneficiary of such a practice. I believe the mechanism for such merit-transference is "mudita" or the brahma-vihara (mind realm/state of the holy) of one who takes joy in the skillful accomplishments of others. Thus, the debate then becomes whether the beneficiary of such acts is consciously or subconsciously aware of such acts. Myself, I tend to fall on the side that the Buddha potential (Buddha-nature, Tathatagarbha) aspect of the beneficiary is subconsciously aware of such acts and subconsciously praises the actor in order for this idea to hold true. If you still have access to your son, then try to explain it to him and he will be all the better for it.
foodcrazee

Post by foodcrazee »

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have the pronunciation from this website http://buddha.goodweb.cn/music/musicdow ... %B0%BC.mp3 and found it to be helpful and also pleasant to listen to. It goes on for an hour or so.

I will take the advise to teach my son the mantra as he is only 7.

What i meant was the SUTRA and I quote "The Buddha further explained,” To recite this Darani, one should first, in front of the Buddha’s image, use some clean soil to construct a square Mandala, the size of according to one’s wish. On top of the Mandala, one should spread different kinds of grass, flowers and burn different kinds of quality incense. Then kneeling down with the right knee on the floor, mindfully reciting the Buddha’s name and with the hands in the Mudrani symbol ( i.e each hand bending the forefinger before pressing it down with the thumb and placing both palms together before the chest) in reverence, one should recite this Dharani 108 times…..”

How do i construct a MANDALA ?

What should I do before I read the mantra ? Clean one self first of course. IS there a position to face? Shall i kneel or seat in lotus position?

Hope someone can shine the light on me through your own experienced or thru the advise of a learned person. Thank you
foodcrazee

Post by foodcrazee »

DiamondSutra

Post by DiamondSutra »

Start reading it, keep reading it and the understanding will come
santa100

Post by santa100 »

foodcrazee wrote:What i meant was the SUTRA and I quote "The Buddha further explained,” To recite this Darani, one should first, in front of the Buddha’s image, use some clean soil to construct a square Mandala, the size of according to one’s wish. On top of the Mandala, one should spread different kinds of grass, flowers and burn different kinds of quality incense. Then kneeling down with the right knee on the floor, mindfully reciting the Buddha’s name and with the hands in the Mudrani symbol ( i.e each hand bending the forefinger before pressing it down with the thumb and placing both palms together before the chest) in reverence, one should recite this Dharani 108 times…..”
Flowers and incense are nice, but the Buddha said that the best thing to offer is one's own virtues (obvervance of the Five Precepts, purity of body, speech, and mind, etc.):
Dhammapada wrote: Not the sweet smell of flowers, not even the fragrance of sandal, tagara, or jasmine blows against the wind. But the fragrance of the virtuous blows against the wind. Truly the virtuous man pervades all directions with the fragrance of his virtue.

Of all the fragrances — sandal, tagara, blue lotus and jasmine — the fragrance of virtue is the sweetest.

Faint is the fragrance of tagara and sandal, but excellent is the fragrance of the virtuous, wafting even amongst the gods.
Also, remember that saying: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". So while reciting mantras are nice, it's also very important to teach and guide your son along the path of the Buddha Dharma so he'll become a better person. That'd be the surefire way to take care of his karma.
foodcrazee

Post by foodcrazee »

Greetings Diamond Sutra and Santa100,

Thank you for your guidance, appreciate them.

Will work on the Mantra and virtue and guide my son along the way.

Thank you once again.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

foodcrazee wrote:How do i construct a MANDALA ?
This is really a question to ask your teacher, or maybe a more experienced member of your sangha.

Truth is though, no matter how much you may botch up the procedure, your motivation for doing the practice and your state of mind during and after the practice are the essential components of the practice. Neither the Buddha nor Usnisha Vijaya are going to "punish" you if you overlook (or make a mistake with) one of the external details.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dara0418

Post by dara0418 »

Hey buddy, I'm new to this forum. I'm Chinese and I've learned Buddhism for years. I've never recited the "Usnisa Vijaya Dharani", but it's good to clear karma as I searched on some Chinese articles. The most most important thing to recite a sutra is to be sincere, no matter which language. You may check out an English version, as long as it was translated correctly, it'll be good. I normally recite "THE SUTRA OF BODHISATTVA KSITIGARBHA’S FUNDAMENTAL VOWS", not sure what's the exact English name. This sutra is super to clear karma and being read by many many Chinese buddhists as I known.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”