How to find a right/suitable path?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Greta

How to find a right/suitable path?

Post by Greta »

How to find a right/ suitable path for you?
I find it very confusing, that there is so many (kind) of traditions. More I read, more I wonder.
And if you live in western, very Christian country, there is just couple traditions what from to choose, if you want a teacher. I believe that most of the paths goes to the same goal, but differend kind of people needs differend kind of teaching, exercises etc. Should man just follow to some uncomfortable path, if you can´t find anything suitable for you?

Sorry, if here is already this kind of topic, couldn´t find it.
florin

Re: How to find a right/suitable path?

Post by florin »

Greta wrote:How to find a right/ suitable path for you?
I find it very confusing, that there is so many (kind) of traditions. More I read, more I wonder.
And if you live in western, very Christian country, there is just couple traditions what from to choose, if you want a teacher. I believe that most of the paths goes to the same goal, but differend kind of people needs differend kind of teaching, exercises etc. Should man just follow to some uncomfortable path, if you can´t find anything suitable for you?

Sorry, if here is already this kind of topic, couldn´t find it.
Hi Greta,

You can go straight to the essence .
And to do that you could consider learning about dzogchen for example.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

You can take the first path you see, you like and you are able to follow.
Finding ones own path is not like taking a decision in front of a full supermarket shelf. It is more like finding the inner voice.
Best is to start right now with whatever you find. Then you learn bit by bit, what is most fitting and good for you.
You'll find your destiny.

Edit: Now I read your introduction...
Maybe you should just do your simple path and do meditation regularly.
And if you see a good teacher: grab him/her. :smile:
Sammytwp

Post by Sammytwp »

Hi Greta,

I am so with you on this one. New to Buddha's Teachings myself, and brought up in a western Christian culture, finding the right direction is proving problematic. I really identify with the basic teachings like the Noble Truths and The Eight Fold Path, the practice of meditation, the faith in things like karma and rebirth. However, it's pretty apparent that beyond the foundations, Buddhism has many different "schools" of thought and these tend to cloud the picture when your first learning.

I read that Buddhism is more a way of life than a religion and that's the way I am choosing to walk the path...I tend to think that we all create our own personal connections with "life the universe and everything" and maybe that's just the way it's meant to be.

I wish you well for your own walk :namaste:
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Read lots of books and discuss with learned people, like the many wonderful practitioners on this site.
Go to several sanghas and see teachers in person, what they're like, what services and styles attract you.
Don't be afraid to give something many tries, even if you weren't successful before.
Things will go well with a practice or tradition, then go not so well. This is normal and not necessarily a sign that you're not cut out for something, or that something is suddenly not right for you.
Exercise great patience to avoid ping-ponging to a new practice every week.
Really that's been the key for me: when in doubt, be patient!

Best of luck :)
Namu Amida Butsu
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

I'd suggest going to the few centres in your area to see for yourself.

There are many factors at play here. The most important one by far is of course the student, but the teacher and the community are also important. As is finding a tradition that resonates with you.
garudha

Post by garudha »

Take a walk off the beaten track and see how you like it.
dude

Post by dude »

learn all you can and ask questions until you are satisfied.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Well, as you can see, ask on an Internet forum, and you will get many different answers.

My advice is, read. Start with the kinds of books that are used to teach the subject at school or university level. You may not have to go through them all, cover to cover. But certainly get to know some of them. Also helps to meet Buddhists and talk to them. It will become clear in due course.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
greentara

Post by greentara »

Fall in love. Yes, I find if you fall in love with the teacher, the teaching, the reason and logic, the spiritual attraction will pull you in. Initially you will feel excited even picking up a book related to the subject, even that will make you smile. Eventually you'll calm down and then the real work begin ....how to sustain the energy and earnestness to continue and go deeper.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Don't you think, Greentara, that after the last two or three generations of experience with spiritual movements in the West, that the advice to 'fall in love with your spiritual teacher' might be - how shall we say - easily open to being misconstrued? :emb:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

My religion is peace and compassion-HH DAI LAMA (spll?)?
It’s eye blinking.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

greentara wrote:Fall in love. Yes, I find if you fall in love with the teacher, the teaching, the reason and logic, the spiritual attraction will pull you in. Initially you will feel excited even picking up a book related to the subject, even that will make you smile. Eventually you'll calm down and then the real work begin ....how to sustain the energy and earnestness to continue and go deeper.
jeeprs wrote:Don't you think, Greentara, that after the last two or three generations of experience with spiritual movements in the West, that the advice to 'fall in love with your spiritual teacher' might be - how shall we say - easily open to being misconstrued? :emb:
I can understand very well what greentara meant - but I think it is expressed in a wrong way a littlebit.
It may feel like falling in love with the teacher, but actually it is falling in love with the Dharma. As long as the relationship with the teacher is in good ethical conduct there is nothing wrong with "falling in love".
Anders

Post by Anders »

In spirituality, there is a time for digging wells and a time for playing the field.

Play the field, see how the costumes fit on you.

And remember, the reason there are so many different schools is for you to find what suits you.

Maybe also consider, if you should have the good fortune of meeting a fair few, that often the affinity is with meeting a true teacher and less so with choosing a school.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
greentara

Post by greentara »

jeeprs, I did not stop with the teacher. I added the teaching, the reason and logic and I recap.... after a while you calm down and thats when the work really begins.
Actually this feeds into where does surrender start and finish. The mind can be very sly and can say I'm ripe, I'm humble, surrendered but has one really?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Thanks for many answers :smile: I always like to hear, how people did found their path.
Like I said, here isn´t too many oppoturnitues, just one sangha, what isn´t so active. Unfortunately that doesn´t feel right place for me.
I like most Luke´s answer " learn all you can and ask questions until you are satisfied". That´s why I´m here... In community where I did hang around before, wasn´t too open to questions. That´s one reason why I didn´t like atmosphere there.
I like when you can ask (also stupid) questions, tell your opinion, agree or disagree; have interesting conversations wherefrom you can learn something or what gives new things to think about.

In everyhtihg and everywhere you can hear, that there isn´t much you can do without a teacher. So now I just read and read (have done that for twenty years) and try to be as good as I can. But it would be lovely to get more from this life.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Books are great but practice is essential. There are threads here which give you links the basics of how to meditate (if you are not already doing so). Perhaps there is a yoga or meditation group you can join in your area while you're exploring the right path for you. As many of us here have found, in the end you might have to travel in order to meet your teacher.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
santa100

Post by santa100 »

AN 8.53 wrote:"As for the qualities of which you may know, 'These qualities lead to dispassion, not to passion; to being unfettered, not to being fettered; to shedding, not to accumulating; to modesty, not to self-aggrandizement; to contentment, not to discontent; to seclusion, not to entanglement; to aroused persistence, not to laziness; to being unburdensome, not to being burdensome': You may categorically hold, 'This is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Teacher's instruction.'"
lobster

Post by lobster »

Greta wrote:I like most Luke´s answer " learn all you can and ask questions until you are satisfied".
It is a good answer and the way to come up with the right questions. Most of the traditions in the West will teach a form of sitting, calming, concentration etc to get you started. Just a difference in emphasis. Combining study, questions, retreats and a practice/sadhana will be the ideal initial involvement :smile:
Roland

Post by Roland »

Intuition
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”