Learning About Buddhism

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
MatthewPierson

Learning About Buddhism

Post by MatthewPierson »

Hi guys, I'm pretty new here, I've checked out and read multiple topics on Dharma Wheel before I actually decided to make an account.
But I finally feel comfortable enough to ask some questions, as I am trying to learn as much as I can about Buddhism because the practice interests me deeply, I have problems like everyone else of course. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone on this discussion board, so I just want to say that I am trying to become a Buddhist, It's a little difficult for me right now for I do not have any source for a teacher to learn a correct way, I have been reading books and researching online about Buddhism. I am hoping that this is good way to start. I am only seventeen right now and do not have much freedom to move to a bigger city where Buddhists groups exist, I plan on moving to Arizona for personal reasons, Phoenix to be exact. I have a feeling I'd have better luck down there then where I am now, but that is not the main reason why I plan on moving once I'm able too.
I guess, what I am trying to get at right now is trying to figure out what my first step into becoming a Buddhist should be.
If anyone could lead me in the right direction, I would highly appreciate it.
-Matt
oldbob

Re: Learning About Buddhism

Post by oldbob »

Hi guys, I'm pretty new here, I've checked out and read multiple topics on Dharma Wheel before I actually decided to make an account.
But I finally feel comfortable enough to ask some questions, as I am trying to learn as much as I can about Buddhism because the practice interests me deeply, I have problems like everyone else of course. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone on this discussion board, so I just want to say that I am trying to become a Buddhist, It's a little difficult for me right now for I do not have any source for a teacher to learn a correct way, I have been reading books and researching online about Buddhism. I am hoping that this is good way to start. I am only seventeen right now and do not have much freedom to move to a bigger city where Buddhists groups exist, I plan on moving to Arizona for personal reasons, Phoenix to be exact. I have a feeling I'd have better luck down there then where I am now, but that is not the main reason why I plan on moving once I'm able too.
I guess, what I am trying to get at right now is trying to figure out what my first step into becoming a Buddhist should be.
If anyone could lead me in the right direction, I would highly appreciate it.
Hello MatthewPierson,

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Buddhas-Tea ... 30&sr=1-12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is a good introduction, $2.66, used - words about Buddhism.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Buddhas-Tea ... 30&sr=1-12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$2.55 used - words of the Buddha.

or you can go to your local library and read around.

Then you can follow up what interests you, on line, and then follow up that by writing to a group that interests you and then go to meet their teacher, on line or in person if possible.

In Phoenix there are many Buddhist groups:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Phoenix ... channel=sb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would first visit all of them and then find one tradition to practice in.

The more you practice, the more you will get the benefit.

Good luck!

oldbob
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Matt wrote:I guess, what I am trying to get at right now is trying to figure out what my first step into becoming a Buddhist should be.
Hi Matt, and welcome to the Forum.

FIrst, become someone who is interested in Buddhism. Simply study it, discuss it with others, and learn about meditation. That is the most important thing. I would be wary about self-identification as 'Buddhist'; Buddhism is the vehicle, not the destination.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
MatthewPierson

Post by MatthewPierson »

I was at the time actually researching Buddhism in Phoenix, and I got the result you posted.
I am strongly sure that I am going to look more into that, for I feel like it is going to be my best bet to have actual human interaction.
Having a teacher would make me feel more comfortable, for all I can really do is read and try to practice what I can.
Thanks though, It really helps.
-Matt

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”