meditating on the road - center recommendations

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
spinningwheel

meditating on the road - center recommendations

Post by spinningwheel »

I'm planning to spend a month travelling around the UK, intending to do some woodland camping, meditating and reading. I was wondering if there are any community based Buddhist centers I can visit and spend time with along the way. I can volunteer in exchange or offer payment. I'm based in London, so ideally within a 100 mile radius, but happy to travel much further.

I have some experience with Vajrayana Buddhism, and would like to deepen this, however, I'm open to any authentic tradition. It would be beneficial of the centres are located in nature and have some sense community.

Thanks!
Derek

Re: meditating on the road - center recommendations

Post by Derek »

Would you consider Amaravati in Hertfordshire? The only other one I know of is Samye Ling in Scotland.
saraswati

Post by saraswati »

Gomde UK is a wonderful, natural place, with space for camping. And I think they are looking for volunteers who can help in several ways, especially for this summer.

See:
http://www.gomde.org.uk/volunteering-at ... -p-29.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let yourself become that space that welcomes any experience without judgement.
- Tsoknyi Rinpoche
spinningwheel

Post by spinningwheel »

Derek wrote:Would you consider Amaravati in Hertfordshire? The only other one I know of is Samye Ling in Scotland.
Thank you Derek, I already have Amaravati on my list. Even though they're Theravada, there's such a beautiful and honest vibe to them that I'm very keen to spne d alittle time there. I've added Samye Ling to my list, as I do evetually plan to venture towards the scottish highlands.

spinningwheel

Post by spinningwheel »

saraswati wrote:Gomde UK is a wonderful, natural place, with space for camping. And I think they are looking for volunteers who can help in several ways, especially for this summer.

See:
http://www.gomde.org.uk/volunteering-at ... -p-29.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you saraswati, this does look very promising. They have so much land and a keen interest in environmental stewardship including growing their own food. I'll get in touch with them today. It'll be great if they'll allow me to camp and take part in daily meditations.
spinningwheel

Post by spinningwheel »

Can anyone confirm that Samye Ling and particularly Gomde UK follows the Vajrayana method please? Additionally if there are more Vajrayana options, further afield, possibly ireland or france I'd be interested.

Many thanks,
saraswati

Post by saraswati »

Yes both are Vajrayana. Samye Ling is Karma Kagyu. Gomde follows the lineage of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche and Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche.
Let yourself become that space that welcomes any experience without judgement.
- Tsoknyi Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”