help me understand pls?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
oushi

Re: help me understand pls?

Post by oushi »

einfachich wrote: I follow what I feel and understand properly.
And what is that you want ultimately? When you brush aside all phenomena that confuse you, what is that You really want? It is good to find the answer for this question, because it will, more or less, always direct your practice. Whether you want to get ride of the suffering in your life, experience bliss and joy, or profoundly transform your personality, define it first.
Say what you think about me here.
einfachich

Post by einfachich »

oushi wrote:
einfachich wrote: I follow what I feel and understand properly.
And what is that you want ultimately? When you brush aside all phenomena that confuse you, what is that You really want? It is good to find the answer for this question, because it will, more or less, always direct your practice. Whether you want to get ride of the suffering in your life, experience bliss and joy, or profoundly transform your personality, define it first.

Thanks, a lot for the answer. That's really helpful to know and practice will lead you in the right direction. But because I am alone and no teacher's hard to understand sometimes. In the books and teachings written one and the comments of people other. I do not understand when someone says that he will transmit teachings that until now have never been fed to planet earth? And these methods guarantee you quick enlightenment. And that these teachings are derived directly from the Buddha or other great teacher? And at the same time talking about aliens and stuff like that. What is Buddhism and I supposed to believe that? And I have other internal issues and corse such people i have no one who i can ask for a real answer.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Wayfarer wrote: Learning the fundamentals is generally about learning of the life and teachings of the Buddha, and getting some understanding of 'early Buddhist texts'. That may not be the last word, but it is a good place to start. Sites like http://www.accesstoinsight.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and wwww.buddhanet.net have a lot of information on that.
^I agree.

Einfachich, most Buddhists believe in these core teachings, but even with these there is some disagreement: Was Shakaymuni Buddha already enlightened before he sat under the bodhi tree and did he just do it to set an example for others? Or was he really just an ordinary man who attained enlightenment under the bodhi tree for the first time? Different Buddhist sects believe different things. The more you study Buddhism, the more different opinions you will find about different aspects of Buddhism. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which ideas about Buddhism you will believe.

If you are looking for Buddhist teachings laid out clearly and systematically, you might enjoy Tibetan Buddhist lam rim texts, such as The Jewel Ornament of Liberation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewel-Ornament- ... liberation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, even this contains information that other Buddhist schools might dispute or argue about. Ultimately, there isn't any one perfect Buddhist book for everybody. There are many different types of Buddhist teachings because there are many different types of people in this world.

Good luck with your search for Buddhist knowledge! :namaste:
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

And these methods guarantee you quick enlightenment.
That is selling a product. It has nothing to do with Dharma. Here in Australia, for years and years, there is a 'meditation product' that has been advertized on the back cover of the TV guide, saying 'Meditate deeper than a Zen Monk - in 10 minutes!'. I guess a lot of people must buy those products - that is why the ad keeps running. But obviously it is rubbish. Any Zen teacher will say 'you don't practice this to gain some instant result'. You have to learn to practice for the sake of practice. That is a hard thing to learn, and to teach it, they maintain a very tough routine at their monasteries. Whether it is hard or easy is not really the point.

If someone 'guarantees you some quick result' or says he has some exclusive product, just walk away. Genuine teachers will never say that. Don't get confused by all the information - you said you have read the early texts and the life story of the Buddha, just reflect on that, maintain a very simple practice, don't look for anything special and attend to your duties. Everything else will follow.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
einfachich

Post by einfachich »

Wayfarer wrote:
And these methods guarantee you quick enlightenment.
That is selling a product. It has nothing to do with Dharma. Here in Australia, for years and years, there is a 'meditation product' that has been advertized on the back cover of the TV guide, saying 'Meditate deeper than a Zen Monk - in 10 minutes!'. I guess a lot of people must buy those products - that is why the ad keeps running. But obviously it is rubbish. Any Zen teacher will say 'you don't practice this to gain some instant result'. You have to learn to practice for the sake of practice. That is a hard thing to learn, and to teach it, they maintain a very tough routine at their monasteries. Whether it is hard or easy is not really the point.

If someone 'guarantees you some quick result' or says he has some exclusive product, just walk away. Genuine teachers will never say that. Don't get confused by all the information - you said you have read the early texts and the life story of the Buddha, just reflect on that, maintain a very simple practice, don't look for anything special and attend to your duties. Everything else will follow.
Thanks a lot for your answer. You just confirmed my opinion. Many times I asked myself the question, how can this be possible? From my experience I view everything inside us need is time and the right attitude and such rapid transformations are virtually impossible. I had experience with a man (who calls himself a teacher) made ​​me feel stupid and I do not have the capacity to understand his teachings. These were exercises which was first taught on the planet earth. I just asked is it possible to transmit it directly to people who have no experience of meditation and Buddhism. He aggressively told me directly that I will never be able to understand the teachings and insulted me. It hurt me a lot and now I find it hard to trust and believe in such things. It saddens me that the old compassion of the great teachers there is nothing left. And how much of this priceless knowledge just lost. How sad and how much they are needed now.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

The first real Buddhist book I ever read is still the best: Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki. He was the founding teacher of the San Francisco Zen Center (SFZC) which is still going strong, 50 years later. I think he was a genuine teacher whose work has stood the test of time. There are some genuine teachers, don't let an experience with one bad apple put you off. 'When the student is ready, a teacher will appear'.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
reddust

Post by reddust »

Sometimes a bad Dharma experience or a negative experience with a Dharma student or teacher can be turned into a Dharma lesson that will pop you up to another level of awareness. This is how I look at everything in my life. It's really helped me move past trauma and negative feelings. :namaste:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

einfachich wrote:From my experience I view everything inside us need is time and the right attitude and such rapid transformations are virtually impossible.
I agree. Quick fixes are often inadequate and it pays to be wary of them.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”