My first of many questions

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Foxface

My first of many questions

Post by Foxface »

Good day to all. I figured after my intro post I would throw out a question I have had for some time now

I am originally from Chicago and studied Zen at a wonderful area in Chicago...though I found myself pulled more and more to Pure Land and that's where I finally landed

but my question is frankly for ANY Buddhist and I come by it honestly. This is absolutely not a means to troll

Does one who wishes to study Buddhism need a teacher? There is nobody in my area who teaches the Pure Land path. I can read and mostly comprehend what I read, but do I need a guide or is my recitation of Amida and my own personal study the guide in itself?

I should mention straight off that I am VERY much a beginner s I do greatly apologize if this comes off as a stupid question

thank you for taking the time to read
LastLegend

Re: My first of many questions

Post by LastLegend »

You don't need a teacher. Secure your faith in Amida, recite, and vow to take rebirth there.
It’s eye blinking.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

These days, there are enough resources available in print and online that one doesn't need a teacher, though of course it could be helpful.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
dude

Post by dude »

A teacher is important, but shouldn't be followed blindly or accepted without investigation.
When the time is right, the teacher appears.
krodha

Post by krodha »

A teacher is an indispensable requirement for Vajrayāna, but doesn't sound as if that is the type of path which resonates with you so I'd imagine you're good to go it alone (practicing Pure Land).

But then again I'm not well versed with Pure Land so you can take my word on the Vajrayāna part but other's advice may be better with Pure Land.
Last edited by krodha on Tue May 27, 2014 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Mkoll wrote:These days, there are enough resources available in print and online that one doesn't need a teacher, though of course it could be helpful.
As a rule the people that say that haven't been able to experience a good one.

But Pure Land may be different.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

smcj wrote:
Mkoll wrote:These days, there are enough resources available in print and online that one doesn't need a teacher, though of course it could be helpful.
As a rule the people that say that haven't been able to experience a good one.

But Pure Land may be different.
It depends on the tradition, as asunthatneversets said. It also depends on an individual's proclivities.
dude

Post by dude »

It depends on the teacher, too.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

A teacher or at least fellow practitioner friends can help clarify things when we are confused, and can help us regain our bearings towards gratitude and faith when we lose them.
That said, I have no doubt Other-Power is and will continue to work for your benefit, manifesting compassion through the form of Amida in your life and practice.
There's a Pure Land subforum if you're interested.
Good luck!
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”