First time questions

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Tiago Simões

First time questions

Post by Tiago Simões »

Hello, i have a few questions and this is my first time asking a buddhist community. In which language should i chant prayers and sutras? Is there any benefit in chanting in tibetan, japanese, chinese, etc...
Also this next one is a bit complicated but it relates to the breaking of monastic celibacy vows, for example the japanese "monastic same-sex love" Nanshoku , and i'm not sure if its true but also heard tibetan temples used to fight each other for young monks? Not sure about that one though. I guess the most critical one would be Zen monk Ikkyu Sojun and his writing:
"follow the rule of celibacy and you are no more than an ass."
Can someone please explain this? I know its a delicate topic but seeing Kalu Rinpoche's confession on youtube made me question all this.
supermaxv

Re: First time questions

Post by supermaxv »

According to one of my teachers (I adhere to Tibetan Buddhism), it's fine for me to chant my practices in Tibetan, but only if I understand pretty well what it is I'm chanting and it isn't necessarily better to do so.
krodha

Post by krodha »

tiagolps wrote:...and i'm not sure if its true but also heard tibetan temples used to fight each other for young monks? Not sure about that one though.
Anti-Tibetan propaganda, no doubt.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

tiagolps wrote:Hello, i have a few questions and this is my first time asking a buddhist community. In which language should i chant prayers and sutras? Is there any benefit in chanting in tibetan, japanese, chinese, etc...
Also this next one is a bit complicated but it relates to the breaking of monastic celibacy vows, for example the japanese "monastic same-sex love" Nanshoku , and i'm not sure if its true but also heard tibetan temples used to fight each other for young monks? Not sure about that one though. I guess the most critical one would be Zen monk Ikkyu Sojun and his writing:
"follow the rule of celibacy and you are no more than an ass."
Can someone please explain this? I know its a delicate topic but seeing Kalu Rinpoche's confession on youtube made me question all this.
Some communities chant in the language of the local community. For instance, I know the Heart Sutra and much of the Tendai liturgy in English and can recite it from memory, because we do it in English in our temple. But there are many things that can't be translated, and are chanted in Sanskrit, Tibetan, or other liturgical languages. And much of the chanting can be musical as well--more sung than recited. The melodies can be very important. So the answer to your question about language is... It depends.

I'm not clear on what your question is regarding monastics and celibacy, but I'll take a guess anyway. Are there some people who are hypocrites and take vows they can't or won't keep, and then lie about it? Yes. Don't take instruction from such people. Instead, take the time to ask a lot of questions. (For the record, Japanese ordination vows don't require celibacy and haven't in over a century.)

the most important thing is to find a well-qualified teacher you can learn from, and follow that person's instructions regarding chanting and all the rest.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Thanks for the answers. I normally chant in Portuguese, but i guess i should really find a teacher.
Dont know what i expected from my second question :lol:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Check this out:

phpBB [video]
Jechan

Post by Jechan »

For chanting with the congregation and for the purpose of following the liturgy, it might be good to chant in the common language.
But for personal practice its probably good to recite in your mother tongue. That way you can grasp the meaning and internalise what you are chanting better.
Namu Myoho Renge Kyo
南無妙法蓮華経

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”