When does rest and need for food go?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
zenman

When does rest and need for food go?

Post by zenman »

Howdy,

This is something that I've pondered in relation to meditation/spiritual attainment: Is there some definable stage when the needs for sleep and food disappear? Bodhisattva bhumis? Full buddhahood? Arahant?

I am aware that ascetics have this mind over matter attitude towards subjects like this but even they do attain freedom from not having the need to take physical rest or eat, they are still ignorant about their true nature,

Thanks for your input.
Ambrosius80

Re: When does rest and need for food go?

Post by Ambrosius80 »

A living being simply cannot get rid of the need to sleep and eat. Anything other is an outright piece of imagination. Even the Buddha ate and slept, although just enough to keep him going and healthy. That is the point of the middle way: not too much nor too little.

In zen, there is a saying; "sleep when you are tired, eat when you are hungry. " It means to see things like they are without craving for them and only take what you absolutely need. To my knowledge no text states you should get rid of the needs to eat and sleep.
"What we have now is the best. He who can never be satisfied is a poor man, no matter how much he owns.

What you have results from karmic causes that you created, and what you'll gain hinges on karmic causes that you're creating."
-Master Sheng Yen
zenman

Post by zenman »

Yes, yes, I know all this. But as a side dish, does it come to bodhisattvas or even full blown buddhas?
zenman

Post by zenman »

And when does the sex drive go?
Ambrosius80

Post by Ambrosius80 »

zenman wrote:Yes, yes, I know all this. But as a side dish, does it come to bodhisattvas or even full blown buddhas?
No. Not at least while they remain in the samsaraic world. As I said, even Gautama Buddha had to eat and sleep. It is fully possible that these things become only necessities instead of pleasures or luxuries. That is not actually that hard to accomplish in one's lifetime.

What comes to sex drive, it is actually easy to let go of. As someone who was once quite sexually active, I realized one day just how futile it was to impress women, succeed or get rejected, have sex, get into a relationship and try to make it all work. The whole absurd treadmill made me smile. However, this is really something you have to realize for yourself. If you try to start living in celibate from this moment on because someone told you to, you will surely fail. Trust me.
:namaste:
"What we have now is the best. He who can never be satisfied is a poor man, no matter how much he owns.

What you have results from karmic causes that you created, and what you'll gain hinges on karmic causes that you're creating."
-Master Sheng Yen
zenman

Post by zenman »

Ambrosius80 wrote:As I said, even Gautama Buddha had to eat and sleep. It is fully possible that these things become only necessities instead of pleasures or luxuries. That is not actually that hard to accomplish in one's lifetime.

What comes to sex drive, it is actually easy to let go of. As someone who was once quite sexually active, I realized one day just how futile it was to impress women, succeed or get rejected, have sex, get into a relationship and try to make it all work. The whole absurd treadmill made me smile. However, this is really something you have to realize for yourself. If you try to start living in celibate from this moment on because someone told you to, you will surely fail. Trust me.
:namaste:
Was Gautama's sleep (or of anyone who has reached full buddhahood) fully conscious? This is something that I haven't received straight answers when asking from various people.
Ambrosius80

Post by Ambrosius80 »

Yes, it was. It is said that when other monks had gone to sleep at around midnight, he would continue to teach the hungry ghosts, devas and animals around him for a few more hours. Then he would meditate for a while, relax himself very deeply and finally sleep for about an hour. His sleep was very deep, but dreamless, as an enlightened being never loses their consciousness. He also rested a few moments in daytime, while the monks had gone to meditate in private, but didn't really sleep then.

-Master Sheng Yen
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Like it was said you will always need food water and sleep. Though I'm sure advanced mediators can place themselves in a state where the body does not need much energy. A state of unconsciousness with a very low heart rate. I doubt this is fiction.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Luke

Post by Luke »

During the time one is experiencing the 9th jhana in meditation the need for for food and sleep decreases, I believe.

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... _Cessation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But eventually, the meditator will come out of the 9th jhana when he/she stops meditating and will need to eat and sleep again (at least this is my understanding).
Russell

Post by Russell »

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”