If oneness is not quite accurate...

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
frank123

If oneness is not quite accurate...

Post by frank123 »

If oneness is not emphasized in Buddhism or is down right negated how does Buddhism approach the view that ultimately everything comes from the same source,an unmanifested well spring from which all arises.If we all have our own realization of dharmakaya to realize where does it stop being connected?
gad rgyangs

Re: If oneness is not quite accurate...

Post by gad rgyangs »

frank123 wrote:If oneness is not emphasized in Buddhism or is down right negated how does Buddhism approach the view that ultimately everything comes from the same source,an unmanifested well spring from which all arises.If we all have our own realization of dharmakaya to realize where does it stop being connected?
isn't saying "ultimately everything comes from the same source,an unmanifested well spring from which all arises." perfectly adequate? im not even sure what "oneness" means, as opposed to just saying "one", but you still would need to specify even what that means. in the west this has been discussed since Parmenides and there is no consensus.
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
Paul

Post by Paul »

frank123 wrote:how does Buddhism approach the view that ultimately everything comes from the same source,an unmanifested well spring from which all arises
It would negate it as a false view of things. Buddhadharma claims that everything arises through dependent origination, not some all creating force or some kind of monadic view of things.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
frank123

Post by frank123 »

gad rgyangs wrote:
frank123 wrote:If oneness is not emphasized in Buddhism or is down right negated how does Buddhism approach the view that ultimately everything comes from the same source,an unmanifested well spring from which all arises.If we all have our own realization of dharmakaya to realize where does it stop being connected?
isn't saying "ultimately everything comes from the same source,an unmanifested well spring from which all arises." perfectly adequate? im not even sure what "oneness" means, as opposed to just saying "one", but you still would need to specify even what that means. in the west this has been discussed since Parmenides and there is no consensus.
I am just trying to get my teeth into were the 'one' source and dependent origination differentiate.
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

dependent origination is merely the nuts and bolts of manifestation. the source of that manifestation has many names but calling it a "something" or even naming it is already going down the slippery slope of reification.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
Paul

Post by Paul »

frank123 wrote:I am just trying to get my teeth into were the 'one' source and dependent origination differentiate.
Study dependent origination until you really understand it. Then you'll see that there's nothing in there that is at all like 'oneness' that is in other philosophies and religions. Mipham's Gateway to Knowledge vol 1 chapter 4 is great. Very clear.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
frank123

Post by frank123 »

gad rgyangs wrote:dependent origination is merely the nuts and bolts of manifestation. the source of that manifestation has many names but calling it a "something" or even naming it is already going down the slippery slope of reification.
Well said.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

It's not one it's not two. They are non separate because there is no division. Boy I find myself talking jibberish. <----- :crazy:
It’s eye blinking.
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Oneness can be a step along the way, not the destination. The oneness of what? Putting forward some kind of a well-spring is a still a view and there is subtle dualism and attachment therein, as far as I can tell.
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

My understanding is that for Buddhism, within the state of emptiness, everything is possible.

It is possible for a new state to emerge from emptiness, such as a state of dependent origination, which is the basis of all the phenomena that we experienced, are experiencing and will experience.

It is also because of emptiness that liberation from samsara (a state that is based on dependent origination) is possible.

A group of individual that is connected does not imply that the individuals will lose their individuality even though the nature of the individual are identical.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

What is emptiness sir Sharab?
It’s eye blinking.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

No, oneness is not emphasized in Buddhism but not directly negated neither. The concept of "oneness" creates a dualism that doesn´t really exist.
There is no "ultimate source" neither, like Paul said. There is no centre in the Universe, nor any central god.
The only thing that is "stopped being connected" to anything is Nirvana.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

What it's about is dismantling view. If you say oneness, that means there is two-ness. Otherwise how you know oneness?
It’s eye blinking.
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Buddhism rejects the idea that everything flows from some common source. That's an idea in Vedanta and Samkhya, but not in Buddhsm. There are certain ideas in Buddhism that may sound like it, but the similarities are rather superficial.
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

"There is a reality even prior to heaven and earth;
Indeed, it has no form, much less a name;
Eyes fail to see it; It has no voice for ears to detect;
To call it Mind or Buddha violates its nature,
For it then becomes like a visionary flower in the air;
It is not Mind, nor Buddha;
Absolutely quiet, and yet illuminating in a mysterious way,
It allows itself to be perceived only by the clear-eyed.
It is Dharma truly beyond form and sound;
It is Tao having nothing to do with words.
Wishing to entice the blind,
The Buddha has playfully let words escape his golden mouth;
Heaven and earth are ever since filled with entangling briars."

-Dai-O Kokushi

Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Nagarjuna's arguments negates four sources of causation:

1. From itself. This would be the "it is one" approach.
2. From another.
3. From both.
4. From neither.

The problem with the "one" approach is that there is no room for multiplicity. If you follow "oneness" logically, like Parmenides did, you get a causeless, changeless, motionless block of being. But this is contradicted by direct experience.

The problem with "two or more" is there is no connection. If there is a connection, then there aren't two or more things.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

"...the primordial state, which is beyond all limits, including the limits of time, and of words and concepts. Nevertheless, the words of the Song of the Vajra try to describe it;

Song of the Vajra

Unborn, yet continuing without interruption,
neither coming nor going, omnipresent,
Supreme Dharma,
unchangeable space, without definition,
spontaneously self-liberating-
perfectly unobstructed state-
manifest from the very beginning,
self-created, without location,
with noting negative to reject,
and nothing positive to accept,
infinite expanse, penetrating everywhere,
immense, and without limits, without ties,
with nothing even to dissolve
or be liberated from,
manifest beyond space and time,
existing from the beginning,
immense ying, inner space,
radiant through clarity
like the sun and moon,
self-perfected,
indestructible like a Vajra,
stable as a mountain,
pure as a lotus,
strong as a lion,
incomparable pleasure beyond all limits,
illumination, equanimity,
peak of the Dharma,
light of the universe,
perfect from the beginning."

-Chogyal Namkhai Norbu "The Crystal and the Way of Light" pg 91

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”