Throat chanting

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Saoshun

Throat chanting

Post by Saoshun »

There is any tutorials how to learn throat chanting like this for example?

phpBB [video]
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Throat chanting

Post by Ayu »

A good method to learn singing is to sing together with a tutor, imitate and rehearse very much.
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

Ayu wrote:A good method to learn singing is to sing together with a tutor, imitate and rehearse very much.
I can really do it but it's not loud enough and not strong so I guess I will keep practicing.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Singing is composed from very much training and practical method. You can compare it to physical exercise. To become a good pole vaulter one needs more than a short tutoring.
To get a loud voice there are to discover involved muscles and resonance chambers in ones own body.
I think they widen their resonance with their velum and behind the nose and create overtones. Also their breathing and phrenic strain is very trained.

Maybe if you find a practical course about overtone singing, this could give very much insight about how a voice works.

Edit: don't rehearse on these deep tones in a technical wrong way. This can easily destroy the voice. You'll have to find new rooms, like this the volume will increase by itself. Don't try to force anything.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Saoshun wrote:There is any tutorials how to learn throat chanting like this for example?

phpBB [video]
There are throatsinging tutorials on the web, not quite the same style, but honestly from a musical standpoint Tuvan throatsinging is more refined than the Tibetan styles I've heard (sacrilege im sure) Look up "khoomei tutorial" and you'll find something. If you practice a bit aspects of it will stick in terms of resonance when chanting mantra etc. Of course you should really do mantra as they are taught by your teachers anyway...

Basic throatsinging is not hard to learn if you're interested, but you will cough a lot... and bad technique can damage your vocal chords I understand. I undertook it just for fun, but found it did effect how I chant, ymmv.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”