Which school of Buddhism should I choose for myself?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Re: Which school of Buddhism should I choose for myself?

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

If you can travel, you may enjoy the retreats and training at Tendai Denmark

Tendai.dk

best
Ambrosius80

Post by Ambrosius80 »

Apraksin wrote:When you mention the soto zen group in Helsinki, are you then referring to Helsinki zen center? I always thought they where connected to the swedish chapter of sanbo-Kyodan.

http://www.zazen.fi/index.html;jsessionid=ed1t7xkzqgq2
No. I now realize I said it wrong/unclearly. I am referring to Bodhidharma ry. Its "leader", monk Tae-Hye Sunim has been ordained in Theravada, Soto and Seon in his years of travel. He nowadays emphasizes Seon practice, but incorporates some of the other schools' methods as well, like Vipassana and Samatha.

If you can travel, you may enjoy the retreats and training at Tendai Denmark

Tendai.dk

best
I actually considered that option, but I cannot really travel much in my current situation. Fetters of lay life and all that... Thanks for suggesting anyway!
"What we have now is the best. He who can never be satisfied is a poor man, no matter how much he owns.

What you have results from karmic causes that you created, and what you'll gain hinges on karmic causes that you're creating."
-Master Sheng Yen
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Ambrosius80 wrote:Thanks for all the replies!

I have found out that general Mahayana appeals to me the most. I like zazen and mantra meditation, as well as certain Pure Land practices like chanting amituofo. I have been attending to the Soto-zen center more often, and have spoken with the monk. He is very wise, and has encouraged me to apply practices other than zazen and sutra recitation as well, like using a mala to count mantras. He thinks that even though they are not traditionally associated with Soto-zen, if they help my practice then there is no harm in using them as well. I would classify myself as a half Soto, half Tendai or Ch'an practitioner because of that.
Perhaps Chinese Chan would be a good fit. It's very much a big tent tradition with something for everybody, especially the practices you mention.
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

I think there is something to be said about your teacher finding you too. Karma must play a role, so the teachers you 'happen' to meet may be worthy of especial consideration. But out of a two way thing, the teacher also finds you. Don't just tick off a list of criteria in a purely rational way, pay close attention to your heart. As you get closer to the teacher and get more of a sense of them, so will your capacity for commitment grow, this just happens naturally.
Just my opinion.
:smile:
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
yenima

Post by yenima »

Excellent thread - in its tone so soothingly different from the tone of so many threads in this forum. Thanks especially to Johnny D. for his seasoned and warm-hearted advice. I'd support practically everything he's said.
石正 Marcus

Post by 石正 Marcus »

Saoshun wrote:I suggest that the best school will be your own mind.
:good:
Yes, absolutely!
Ambrosius80, your profile picture gives you all you need!
Have faith in the Bodhisattva, trust in the Bodhisattva, let go to the Boddhisattva, your own True Nature, and it doesn't really matter which Dharma centre you go to!
But, yes, a kind and supportive Sangha can be a great help in uncovering this, and I wish you lots of luck!
南無観世音菩薩
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Does the school matter as much as the teacher or sangha?
rory

Post by rory »

I looked at Buddhanet for you here: http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=61 I sympathize, I too believe in reincarnation,full of faith in Kuan Yin, etc and truly dislike the new-agey or nihilist Western Buddhists. You do not have to deal with and suffer them it's important to find a sangha that is harmonious with your interests, that's the point of there being lots of Dharma gates. I've been very happy at Chinese temples like Fo Guang Shan and currently with my Jodo Shu affiliation (Pure Land).

I found this Vietnamese temple in Vantaa: Hoi Phat Temple Vietnam, Laapalortenkuja 8 E 32 01620 Vantaa 62 Finland I'm sure it practices Ch'an and Pure Land which is a great mix for you. You'll find probably majority of Vietnamese worshippers who will be the kind of pious Buddhists that will be a support.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

rory wrote: I sympathize, I too believe in reincarnation,full of faith in Kuan Yin, etc and truly dislike the new-agey or nihilist Western Buddhists.
I wonder how Kuan Yin feels about the new-agey or nihilist Western Buddhists? Image
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
rory

Post by rory »

dzogchungpa wrote:
rory wrote: I sympathize, I too believe in reincarnation,full of faith in Kuan Yin, etc and truly dislike the new-agey or nihilist Western Buddhists.
I wonder how Kuan Yin feels about the new-agey or nihilist Western Buddhists? Image
Dzogchungpa; Kannon feels you're rather pathetic in the creepy way you stalk my posts. I suggest you make new friends at a different Dharma center as you're not a shining example of your current practice.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

rory wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
Dzogchungpa; Kannon feels you're rather pathetic in the creepy way you stalk my posts. I suggest you make new friends at a different Dharma center as you're not a shining example of your current practice.
gassho
Rory
I apologize if I have given offense, but somehow I doubt that Kannon feels anyone is pathetic. :smile:

:focus:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

You should also apologize for daring to challenge someone who evidently claims the authority to speak as Kannon Bosatsu's votary...

:shock:
rory

Post by rory »

Ambrosius; that conversation below is a perfect example why I avoid Western Buddhists, they talk so much and practice compassion so little.

DGA & Dzongchungpa: I suggest both of you actually practice Buddhism and help Ambrosius, as I did, instead of hijacking the thread and making it about me. Dzongchungpa, prove you are sorry by your actions - meaning stop following me around the forums with un-necessary personal comments,same for you DGA.
gassho
Rory
Last edited by rory on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:

Post by newbie »

Rory, please do not stop posting!
I find your posts refreshing and having mentioned the fact that I was once chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, I find only this as support and way out of a difficult situation.
Thank you so much!
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

DGA wrote:You should also apologize for daring to challenge someone who evidently claims the authority to speak as Kannon Bosatsu's votary...

:shock:
Kudos DGA, well posted.
Punya

Post by Punya »

rory wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
gassho
Rory
Aw. Some of us enjoy the humour. If you look through Dzogchungpa's posts, it's really not just directed at you, rory.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
rory

Post by rory »

"Inexhaustible Intention! The awesome spiritual power of the Bodhisattva Mahasattva Guanshiyin is as lofty and sublime as that!

"If living beings who have much sexual desire constantly and reverently recite the name of Guanshiyin Bodhisattva, they will be separated from desire.

"If those who have much hatred constantly and reverently recite the name of Guanshiyin Bodhisattva, they will be separated from hatred.

"If those who are very stupid constantly and reverently recite the name of Guanshiyin Bodhisattva, they will be separated from stupidity.

"Inexhaustible Intention, Guanshiyin Bodhisattva has great awesome spiritual powers such as these and confers great benefits. Therefore living beings should always be mindful of him.
Chapter 25 The Lotus Sutra The Universal Door of Guanshi Yin Bodhisattva
http://www.buddhistdoor.com/OldWeb/reso ... otus25.htm

don't despair boys there's hope for you
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
Taco_Rice

Post by Taco_Rice »

Ambrosius80 wrote:I have studied many Buddhist sutras, tantras, rituals and schools/traditions for about a year now. Still, even though I knows the basics of nearly every school, I am indecisive as to which one would suit me best.

I live in Finland, and there are no good centers/teachers here, with the exception of one Nyingma-tradition Rinpoche and a Soto-zen monk. I have visited their centers, but their Sanghas are very small and mostly comprised of weird new-age- types who mix Buddhism with Tarot, crystal therapy and Wicca- type nonsense. They ridicule traditional Buddhism, and I just can't feel at home there. At this point, I plan on practicing a few years by myself until I am finally able to move abroad and find myself a decent Sangha. I have heard some Buddhist teachers use Skype, and could possibly guide me over the internet. This is an option I have also considered.
There are going to be nuts wherever you go. If the group you find yourself in seems to be leading you astray, it may be better to separate yourself and take up study while you look for another Sangha.

If you're one of the nuts, try to be more patient and humble and don't take offense when people comment back in internet forums.

:namaste:
When facing a single tree, if you look at a single one of its red leaves, you will not see all the others. When the eye is not set on any one leaf, and you face the tree with nothing at all in mind, any number of leaves are visible to the eye without limit. But if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there. One who has understood this is no different from Kannon with a thousand arms and a thousand eyes.
— Takuan Sōhō, the Unfettered Mind
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Punya wrote:Aw. Some of us enjoy the humour. If you look through Dzogchungpa's posts, it's really not just directed at you, rory.
Taco_Rice wrote:There are going to be nuts wherever you go. If the group you find yourself in seems to be leading you astray, it may be better to separate yourself and take up study while you look for another Sangha.

If you're one of the nuts, try to be more patient and humble and don't take offense when people comment back in internet forums.

:namaste:
Kudos Punya and Taco_Rice, well posted.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”