Have you met ONE person...

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Have you met ONE person...

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

abandon all belief wrote:How? How did you obtain this knowledge, by what means? Is it in your physical memory? Or do you see it in ways I can't yet understand? In what way do you remember a perception or a quality of consciousness from your "horse" days? (Were you ever a horse?)
All memory is pretty similar in the experiencing of them, what I can say is that when you experience "memory" which is radically different from anything you have experienced before, as in having the perception of an entirely different worldview within that memory, it can be convincing that something is going on, on a personal level. Also, what is "physical memory"..if you mean do the memories have a somatic component, i'll bet the answer is often yes for many people.

Can anyone provide you with some kind of verifiable evidence? Probably not to your satisfaction...this is an experiential truth, and if you've not had an experience of that sort...well I think Kirt put it best that it's insoluble, so you can believe, disbelieve, or practice for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

If you are looking for "arguments for rebirth" though, that is actually a bigger conversation, there are arguments by inference for rebirth, as well as understanding enough Buddhist psychology to understand why there are some good reasons to believe that rebirth, or at least a process like rebirth takes place.

As to what way one remembers their "horse days"...i'll take a stab and say it's similar to how you perceive a kind of reflexive self image that you grasp onto every time you experience an emotion, thought, or similar in meditation that "grabs" you..you perceive and identify with an ego-entity..in the case of remembering these sorts of experience, i'd wager that you perceive yourself as en ego-entity entirely different than the one you are habituated to in this life..though often one with (some of) the same habitual tendencies.

If you want an example of what it's like to remember being something, go look in a mirror at yourself, then think a thought about yourself, good or bad..notice the immediate flash of identification with an ego entity that follows, it is that sort of experience. Better yet, just think of a powerful memory, and notice the ego-entity that you naturally assemble from the memory...it's a constant process.
I don't understand how without a conscious agent with actual intention (a god) could "karma", hence "appropriate rebirth" could happen.
You need to read more Buddhist explanations for continuity of mind and karma...the notion of karma within Buddhism actually couldn't work along side the notion of a creator God, they are mutually exclusive...
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Anders

Post by Anders »

abandon-all-belief wrote:
Anders wrote:
yeah.

It's no biggie really.
No biggie? You find fulfillment in deluding yourself, or are you actually telling the truth?
Why wouldn't I be telling the truth? Welcome to the forum btw, it's nice to meet you.

Knowledge of past lives is not difficult to obtain and having such is not a big deal. I've met several whom I am confident have such knowledge.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
maybay

Post by maybay »

There's a difference between having random memories of past lives, being gifted with powers of recall which work under certain conditions, and having developed the siddhi to recall past lives at will.

Sometimes I can't remember whether I actually did something or whether it happened in a dream. If I can't tell the difference there then past lives are going to be a problem. As far as any kind of argument goes, unless you can verify what others say about their past lives, you have to accept what they say. When the topic is something you can't verify, you can expect to hear almost anything.

I wonder how many people could say they have that power: the knowledge of others' past lives?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

maybay wrote:Sometimes I can't remember whether I actually did something or whether it happened in a dream.
This is why I wonder whether memories of alleged past lives are actually memories of dreams.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

dharmagoat wrote:
maybay wrote:Sometimes I can't remember whether I actually did something or whether it happened in a dream.
This is why I wonder whether memories of alleged past lives are actually memories of dreams.
Sometimes dreams can reveal future events...why not the past ?
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:Sometimes dreams can reveal future events...why not the past ?
Future lives?

I just don't see how acquired memories can be assumed to be those of a previous life.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

I'd suggest you look into the research of Ian Stevenson. Here is a Scientific American article about it: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ber ... st-cynics/
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

thnank you dear adamantine from beginningless time for the thought provoking article. so one thought that is new for me, is that a dream is an ideal place to have a memory that relates to your mindstream prior to this birth. of course meditation/ samatha can also show this type of realization....
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

dharmagoat wrote:
Kunga Lhadzom wrote:Sometimes dreams can reveal future events...why not the past ?
Future lives?

I just don't see how acquired memories can be assumed to be those of a previous life.
What I'm refering to is, precognitive dreams. When you have a dream about something, and 6 years down the road it happens. So if one can have precognitive dreams of events that happen in the future, why couldn't one just as well have dreams of a past life event ? This has happened to many people. Also Buddha knew all of his past lives. Do you think Buddha would lie about such things ? Sometimes being too skeptical, can be an obstacle, for something natural.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”