Understanding these two quotes by Nagarjuna.

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
ShuShu

Understanding these two quotes by Nagarjuna.

Post by ShuShu »

Hello Friends,

What do you think these two quotes mean. They're both in context with Buddhism, by philospher Nagarjuna. Originally posted this on Philosophy Forum, and they all directed me here. Here's the link if you folks want to see what they said on the two quotes "http://forums.philosophyforums.com/comm ... ost1331236"

The two quotes are:

"In liberation there is no self and are no aggregates." - Nagarjuna.

I sort of understand the top one, but hope to get a clearer meaning behind it on this forum. And also, this one:

'I am not, I will not be.
I have not, I will not have.
This frightens all children,
And extinguishes/kills fear in the wise.'
- Nagarjuna

This one especially confuses me, but in a way that sparks interests. I really like this one regardless of understanding the entire meaning behind it. Curious as to what people here think about these two quotes?

In addition, can anyone recommend good books on Nagarjuna or by him that reflect his teachings?

Thanks,
Shu
Bakmoon

Re: Understanding these two quotes by Nagarjuna.

Post by Bakmoon »

The first quote is referring to when an individual enters into the realization of emptiness in meditation, neither the idea of a self, nor the appearances of the aggregates will appear to them.

The second quote is about the teaching of non-self. Basically it means that for people without wisdom, the teaching of non-self and its implications is changing and so induces fear, but for the wise, it is understood as the way to liberation.

If you want a good accessible book for understanding Nagarjuna I would recommend Jay Garfield's book The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way which is a translation and commentary on the Mulamadhyamakakarika.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Garfield's commentary seems to be the go-to book for Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamakakarika. I find it very understandable, which is no small accomplishment for dis crazy middle way stuff. ;-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

If it matters, the quotes are from the Precious Garland, not Mulamadhyamaka Karika.

The emphasis is therefore more on upaya.

These particular verses for example occur in the context of why it is ignorant to fear the fearless state.

PS EDIT 1:

Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs ...

"Nagarjuna: The Precious Garland Ratnavali of Nagarjuna also known as Nagarjuna's Letter to a Friend" ...

http://www.thezensite.com/MainPages/nagarjuna.html

:crying:
ShuShu

Post by ShuShu »

Thanks, which one should I read first to get an insight on his teachings?
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

ShuShu wrote:Thanks, which one should I read first to get an insight on his teachings?
Everyone needs to read MMK then Chandrakirti Madhyamaka Vatara.
Last edited by Karma Dondrup Tashi on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Nagarjuna's writings are notoriously terse and difficult to understand.

You might want to start with a good secondary text. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy has a decent entry on Nagarjuna, Wikipedia has its entry, and then there's this paper written by Garfield:

http://math.stanford.edu/~mkahle/Nagarjuna.pdf

Enjoy! :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

I'd recommend reading a good commentary on Chandrakirti's Guide to the Middle Way (Madhyamakavatara), as this is a commentary to Nagarjuna's Fundamental Wisdom and much more accessible.

To gain a good understanding of emptiness requires many conditions such as clear explanations by a qualified Teacher, Wisdom blessings from all the Buddhas, purification of negative karma, accumulation of merit and frequent meditation on emptiness. I don't believe it's possible to gain such an understanding just by reading books alone so I'd recommend trying to find a good Teacher and Dharma Centre where you feel connected and can receive regular teachings.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

So if he does not exist, he will not exist. If he does not exist, he cannot have anything and will not have anything. Forever poor dirt.
It’s eye blinking.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

You will laugh about the second one once you've destroyed the ego. Until then, expect confusion.

Best wishes
Kc
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”