Сreation through perception in Buddhism?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Oriander

Сreation through perception in Buddhism?

Post by Oriander »

Are there some schools in Buddhism, like drishti-srishti-vada (creation through perception) or metaphysical solipsism? A mechanism, that my karmic seeds create my whole world and myself, like into some night dream vision, like frames in a film or into some video-game?
Similar philosophy is found in Hindu religion, namely drishti-srishti-vada.[1] In teachings of Ramana Maharshi there are two cues on solipsism:

"Jiva is called so because he sees the world. A dreamer sees many jivas in a dream, but all of them are not real. The dreamer alone exists and he sees all. So it is with the individual and the world. There is the creed of only one Self, which is also called the creed of only one jiva. It says that the jiva is the only one who sees the whole world and the jivas therein."
Thank you alot for any answers. And sorry about my English.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Сreation through perception in Buddhism?

Post by Astus »

Short answer: no.

Although Buddhism teaches that ignorance distorts one's sense of reality, it primarily refers to the assumption of a permanent self, because based on that one grasps at experiences and thus generates dissatisfaction. Removing that ignorance does not mean the collapse/disappearance of the world but the liberation from suffering. Although one being may attain liberation, it does not mean everyone else becomes free at the same time. Thus the Buddha taught the path to nirvana to others.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Oriander

Post by Oriander »

So, how I must to understand the diamond sutra? Which says:
All conditioned phenomena
Are like a dream, an illusion, a bubble, a shadow,
Like dew or a flash of lightning;
Thus we shall perceive them
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Oriander wrote:So, how I must to understand the diamond sutra?
Regarding appearances as illusory means not assuming a substance within them, or a substrate behind them. In other words, one has experiences, but there is no solid self to experience them. From one moment to another there are instances of consciousness, but no enduring, unchanging mind to be aware of them. Seeing that experiences are without substance and without a solid experiencer, there is nothing left to be attached to. Again, in different terms, one calls things this and that, but those names are just names, they don't represent or address anything solid. Therefore one should know that concepts are without any ultimate reality and they are used only according to conventions.

Here is the origin of that stanza, with the Buddha's explanation: SN 22.95
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Oriander

Post by Oriander »

I understand yogacara school like subjective idealism, solipsism (other seeds and reality is coming from my seeds). So there are storehouse consciousness (alaya-vijnana) and reality it is just a hallucination from my karmic seeds, they are into alaya-vijnana. Other people's (and Buddha also) is not real, they are just projection of my seeds. Even if they have consciousness and mind. So it seems like drishti-srishti-vada. My night dream vision it is my soul and subconsciousness projections, there can be clever people, but they are just only projections of my subconsciousness. My understanding about yogacara is correct?
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Oriander wrote:My understanding about yogacara is correct?
Not really.

What Yogacara describes as the teaching of mind only (cittamatra) or cognition only (vijnaptimatra) means that what we experience is given meaning within a mental framework that projects identity and substance, setting up both subject and object. This conceptual framework of defining experiences is habitually maintained from moment to moment and from life to life, as one bases one's actions on one's judgements about one's perceptions, and those perceptions are interpreted according to the mental framework that conceives them. Thus there is a continual feedback between framework - perception - action, establishing habits. As long as one is unaware of this process, one keeps following those habits. The realisation that appearances are cognition only means that one understands how one's concepts about oneself and the world are unfounded, and that they are the products of one's own mind, thus there is no more reason to cling to the conceptual framework as if it were real.

As you can see, it is not about setting up some universal mind or a solipsist metaphysics. It is the point out the processes going on in one's mind in order to attain enlightenment.

Recommended readings:

What is and isn't Yogācāra
Basic Ideas Of Yogacara Buddhism
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Oriander

Post by Oriander »

Thank you. Please, could you evaluate this 25-years experienced buddhist monk? What he say about? He say about 65 frames/seeds per moment - they create whole world. His point of view is advaita-vedantiс (drishti-srishti-vada + ajativada)? https://youtu.be/KAJyU-lEuR4?t=4m54s
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Oriander wrote:Thank you. Please, could you evaluate this 25-years experienced buddhist monk? What he say about? He say about 65 frames/seeds per moment - they create whole world. His point of view is advaita-vedantiс (drishti-srishti-vada + ajativada)? https://youtu.be/KAJyU-lEuR4?t=4m54s
"Geshe" Michael Roach is not taken seriously as a Buddhist teacher.

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=19962
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Oriander wrote:Thank you. Please, could you evaluate this 25-years experienced buddhist monk? What he say about? He say about 65 frames/seeds per moment - they create whole world.
Besides what DGA mentioned, what he seems to say there is just the general teaching of momentariness mixed with the Yogacara teaching of seeds. However, what is metaphorically called a seed is not just anything but habitual impressions stored in the mind. It is not just any activity, but things that one is conditioned to and thus conditioned by. It can also be added that this is not simply memory or knowing a skill, but what is primarily referred to are karmic attachments, that is, those charged with emotional values that can be simply summed up as things we like and things we dislike.

Here is an example for how habitual conditioning (seeds) affects our perception:

"This is also exemplified by a particular beautiful physical form. When a lustful person looks at it, he takes it to be pure and marvelous and so his mind develops a defiling attachment. When a person who practices the contemplation of impurity looks at it, he perceives all manner of disgusting discharges and finds that there is not a single part of it that is pure. When one who is also a woman looks at it, she may be jealous and hateful to the point where she is filled with disgust, cannot bear to look upon it, and is of the opinion that it is impure. The lustful person contemplates this same thing and regards it as pleasurable. The jealous person contemplates this and takes it as a cause of bitterness. The yogin contemplates this and gains the Path. A person with no particular interest contemplates this and finds nothing either attractive or repellent in it. It is the same for him as looking at earth or trees." (source)
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Sixty five seeds per second is a traditional teaching
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Fortyeightvows wrote:Sixty five seeds per second is a traditional teaching
In what tradition? What treatise?
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

It will take some digging for me to find a citation for you. Many Rinpoches and Geshe's have taught this.
Oriander

Post by Oriander »

It will be very great if someone will find some original source about 65 seeds per second. Maybe this subject needs some new topic?
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Is the number important?
Oriander

Post by Oriander »

Caodemarte wrote:Is the number important?
I think, that number is not important, but mechanism is important. If it is just projections of your ideas, then it is good, but if it is some kind of of drishti-srishti-vada, then it is very interesting, because reality is more flexible and controlled, - in that case.
Also for monitor and games it is enough to have 60 hz and FPS per second. And for movie enough 24 FPS.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

so i have tried to find a souce for it and have not been able to.
seems like i have heard it a few times though...
Oriander

Post by Oriander »

Now I found Yoga Vasistha and it says that whole world it is a long dream, hallucination. Buddhism reject this point of view? Any analogy and similarity in Buddhism?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Astus wrote:
Ok so, I believe that this comes from Vasubhanhu's commentary on the abhidharma.
This line:
如壯士一疾彈指頃六十五剎那。如是名為一剎那量。
It is saying that in one fingersnap there are 65 moments.
Moments here are 剎那 which is said like 'cha nui' and here is referring to moments of mind.
If moments of mind arise from seeds then it seems fair to say that 65 seeds are ripening in that same time?

http://www.cbeta.org/result/T29/T29n1558.htm
http://www.cbeta.org/result/normal/T29/1558_012.htm

Tommorow I will try and find an english translation.
maybay

Post by maybay »

People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Astus wrote:
Oriander wrote:It will be very great if someone will find some original source about 65 seeds per second. Maybe this subject needs some new topic?
Just now tonite found another source for this. Daigan Matsunaga's book Foundation Japanese Buddhism Volume 1.1974. Page 38,39, 260
3.jpg
3.jpg (71.11 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (121.34 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
Last edited by Fortyeightvows on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”