Authority and Renunciation

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
maybay

Authority and Renunciation

Post by maybay »

Despite liberal pretensions to independence and freedom from obligation, most people live under a host of authorities, from parents to state and civil institutions to other individuals. I'm interested in the relationship between authority and renunciation. When does renunciation simply constitute a dereliction of duty, i.e. irresponsibility? Is shirking the challenge to become an authority simply an extension of the monk's choice not to work at all? Is wanting to be an authority of some polity, economic hub, field of knowledge, organization, or interest group in conflict with the Buddhist principles?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Herbie

Re: Authority and Renunciation

Post by Herbie »

maybay wrote:Despite liberal pretensions to independence and freedom from obligation, most people live under a host of authorities, from parents to state and civil institutions to other individuals. I'm interested in the relationship between authority and renunciation.
Wow! That's a topic!
maybay wrote:When does renunciation simply constitute a dereliction of duty, i.e. irresponsibility?
Since you referred to authority and state before there can only be duty or responsibility if there is commitment by means of contract. So renunciation in this context actually is rejection of responsibility imputed by convention you have not agreed to, i.e. renounce the feeling of being responsible for what you have not formally taken the responsibility. Renounce fear of doing so.

maybay wrote: Is shirking the challenge to become an authority simply an extension of the monk's choice not to work at all? Is wanting to be an authority of some polity, economic hub, field of knowledge, organization, or interest group in conflict with the Buddhist principles?
I think being dependent on buddhist principles may be a form of being captured in samsara. So you have to emancipate yourself to freely decide for yourself what is right for you and what is wrong for you.
And you know, that's for sure!
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I always thought that Krishnamurti's attitude to authority in anything spiritual was one of the things I liked most about him.

That said, there is something in the 'render unto Caeser' idea. We delegate authority to those who have the capacity to exercise particular powers. There are authorities on bridge building and controlling communicable diseases and we defer to them lest our bridges fail and epidemics spread. In political matters, politicians are actually our delegates although that is a fact that many people seem to forget. But there has to be some political authority, the alternative is anarchy.

But in respect of higher truth, don't forget that Buddhisn was originally a forest tradition, and so outside the authority of civic and political powers, although of course in realty political patronage, land holding and entitlements very soon became factors, and with all that questions of civic authority became important.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
maybay

Post by maybay »

Herbie wrote:So renunciation in this context actually is rejection of responsibility imputed by convention you have not agreed to
I can't lie, I am concerned what others think of me, and I worry that they think I am an "irresponsible person". Perhaps I am irresponsible. But my misgivings are with the fact that I very rarely get to plead my case. The people I have in mind mention nothing specific. Not being an authority on anything (or perhaps too many things), there is no will to dispute. People don't want to take chances, and I can't give them assurances. But that obstinacy on my part is perceived as willful negligence, even disloyalty. Its a terrible thing to be accused of, for Dharma practitioner too. It suggests mindlessness. Not being able to assure people could be seen as overly principled. The ability to compromise is surely the first mark of authority. There are so many ways to lie.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Herbie

Post by Herbie »

maybay wrote:
Herbie wrote:So renunciation in this context actually is rejection of responsibility imputed by convention you have not agreed to
I can't lie, I am concerned what others think of me, ...
Big problem, but common. But be sure that based on this attitude you can never be an idol like e.g. the Buddha. ;)

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”