I spend the majority of the day in agonizing pain

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Xhale1227

I spend the majority of the day in agonizing pain

Post by Xhale1227 »

I suffer from something called cluster headaches which is routinely labeled as being the worst pain known to medical science.

My attacks happen daily, 2-3 times, for a duration of about 90 minutes. The pain has been so bad on several occasions that I've seriously considered suicide just to end the misery. The intensity of the attacks is beyond words.
Fortunately this is relatively new to me. I've been dealing with them for a year now. However I don't know how much longer I can endure.

It makes maintaining a constant practice incredibly difficult. Mindfulness in a state of well being is hard enough. Trying to remain mindful when it feels like my eyeball is exploding is damn near impossible.
Does anyone here deal with a similar condition? If so, how do you remain disciplined in your meditation practice? What gets you through the day? Gives you a sense of hope?
BrianG

Re: I spend the majority of the day in agonizing pain

Post by BrianG »

Right now I'm suffering from a severe gout attack, but I'm pretty happy anyway.

I'd recommend practicing Vajrayana Buddhism, where it should not be that difficult to make progress.
Telepaths - I like to kill them
skittles

Post by skittles »

I had them for about 2 years. They left as mysteriously as they came.

If you focus on a single thing completely you won't feel the pain. But it only lasts while you're focusing on a single thing. It's just meditation. You'll know you've got it right when you're not in pain, and the pain will come back the instant you let your focus go back. I'm not trying to be mystical, you can pick this up in a day. It's real mediation 101.

I usually focus on a part of my body that feels alright to turn off the pain, but I doubt what you focus on matters as long at it isn't the pain.
"My main teacher Serkong Rinpoche, who was one of the teachers of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, explained that having a protector is like having a very strong and vicious dog. If you are a strong person, you could go sit and guard your own gate every night to make sure that thieves don’t attack, but usually people wouldn’t do that. It’s not that we don’t have the ability, it’s just: why bother? You could post a dog there instead." - Alex Berzin http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... rs_ab.html
Ray Rudha

Post by Ray Rudha »

What you focus on does matter, and mantra is the best object of focus.

The transcendent. primordial object of focus, with the ability to break pain and karma.
muni

Post by muni »

:namaste: Dear,

Did you tried oxigen? Ice? Careful please with whatever you try. I wish you lots of courage!
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20031706

Here I add a teaching, which can maybe be a support:
phpBB [video]

All the best. _/\_
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
SeeLion

Post by SeeLion »

Something I find helpful when dealing with pain is being mindful of my reactions to it (which could be sometimes aversion or anger or fear , etc).
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Sorry to hear you're so often in pain.

Have you tried all available treatments/therapies /lifestyle changes? There is growing evidence to support the claim that sub-hallucinogenic doses of lsd & the active component in shrooms [psyclobin] can cure or at least diminish the severity of cluster-headaches.

https://clusterbusters.org/treatments-o ... -headache/

Are you aware of the Medicine-Buddha practice? I recommend Dudjom Rinpoches ultra short sadhana as it's very concise and doesn't require a specific transmission to practice.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Pain itself is a good and traditional focus, because it is so insistent. If you focus completely on the pain, face it completely (100 percent) you have no room for concept such as pain, me, etc. As long as you are trying to escape you maintain these concepts and suffer. This is more effective with intense pain.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I've had some success treating cluster headaches with acupuncture. You might consider that. Also consider getting the Vajra Armor/Dorje Gotrab mantra.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Xhale1227

Post by Xhale1227 »

Vasana wrote:Sorry to hear you're so often in pain.

Have you tried all available treatments/therapies /lifestyle changes? There is growing evidence to support the claim that sub-hallucinogenic doses of lsd & the active component in shrooms [psyclobin] can cure or at least diminish the severity of cluster-headaches.

Are you aware of the Medicine-Buddha practice? I recommend Dudjom Rinpoches ultra short sadhana as it's very concise and doesn't require a specific transmission to practice.
Yes I'm aware. I've heard of many becoming completely cured after using small does of mushrooms.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to obtain any.
Punya

Post by Punya »

So sorry to hear you suffer from this condition.

In my experience, hope in dealing with any debiltating health condition lies in persisting to seek relief (even if early options fail) while learning to manage the symptoms as best you can in the meantime.

Have you investigated alternative treatments such as chinese medicine (specifically kudzu) or naturopathy under a reputable practitioner or learning martial arts breathing techniques, since the condition is considered to be associated with oxygen deprivation to the brain? Until you find a remedy, Jon Kabat-Zinn's approach to pain management, which uses mindfulness techniques, is also worth considering.

Wishing you all the best in finding a solution.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Xhale1227 wrote:

Yes I'm aware. I've heard of many becoming completely cured after using small does of mushrooms.

I suppose it depends upon your location, really. If you can find out whether there is a psy-trance [psychedelic-trance] scene near you or within travelling distance, you'll probably find them there, or at least people that can help you find them.

Alternatively, you can purchase and consume them legally in Amsterdam.
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

Xhale1227 wrote:

They are easily obtained from cow dung. Psilocybin mushrooms are illegal in most parts of the world, but only if they know you will be using them as a drug( otherwise every cow farmer would be in jail ). They may or may not help.
Telepaths - I like to kill them
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

In Englad, they're supposedly illegal to pick and be in possession of ,but it's not technically illegal if you eat them straight from the ground :rolling:
Ray Rudha

Post by Ray Rudha »

Here are the practices that can help you:

The Dharani Possessing the Limbs of All Buddhas is probably the best practice for strengthening the body and removing pain, and is the one recommended by the Buddha in sutra.

The Medicine Buddha mantra, of course.

The Vajravidarana dharani and mantra are extremely healing.

The Ksitigarbha dharani and mantras are incredibly powerful and healing for the body.
Rishin

Post by Rishin »

Xhale1227 wrote:I suffer from something called cluster headaches which is routinely labeled as being the worst pain known to medical science.

My attacks happen daily, 2-3 times, for a duration of about 90 minutes. The pain has been so bad on several occasions that I've seriously considered suicide just to end the misery. The intensity of the attacks is beyond words.
Fortunately this is relatively new to me. I've been dealing with them for a year now. However I don't know how much longer I can endure.

It makes maintaining a constant practice incredibly difficult. Mindfulness in a state of well being is hard enough. Trying to remain mindful when it feels like my eyeball is exploding is damn near impossible.
Does anyone here deal with a similar condition? If so, how do you remain disciplined in your meditation practice? What gets you through the day? Gives you a sense of hope?

Greetings fellow Cluster Head.

So sorry to hear you have them too.

Get some oxygen, your doctor should be able to get that sorted for you.
It's pretty much the gold standard for CH.

12 - 15 litres per minute with a non rebreather mask.

Just for the record I'm not a medical professional, I've just put up with this for the past six years.
Rishin

Post by Rishin »

Vasana wrote:
Xhale1227 wrote:

I suppose it depends upon your location, really. If you can find out whether there is a psy-trance [psychedelic-trance] scene near you or within travelling distance, you'll probably find them there, or at least people that can help you find them.

Alternatively, you can purchase and consume them legally in Amsterdam.

I'd take any claims of a cure with a pinch of salt, yes psilocybin has shown some positive results in some trials but it was only using the smallest amounts.

Like everything professional medical help should be sought.
Rishin

Post by Rishin »

Folks I hope this is ok but I've found that a written description doesn't convey what these attacks are like.

So here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXnzhbhpHU
Rishin

Post by Rishin »

skittles wrote:I had them for about 2 years. They left as mysteriously as they came.

If you focus on a single thing completely you won't feel the pain. But it only lasts while you're focusing on a single thing. It's just meditation. You'll know you've got it right when you're not in pain, and the pain will come back the instant you let your focus go back. I'm not trying to be mystical, you can pick this up in a day. It's real mediation 101.

I usually focus on a part of my body that feels alright to turn off the pain, but I doubt what you focus on matters as long at it isn't the pain.
Did you have a diagnosis, if so what type did you have and what was your cycle?

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”