conquering 1 desire is more valuable than fulfilling 1000

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

conquering 1 desire is more valuable than fulfilling 1000

Post by tomschwarz »

dear friends, what human is credited with saying/writing this? I am sure it has been discovered countless times.... but is there a general belief that there was a single recent author? are there cases where this is false?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
Simon E.

Re: conquering 1 desire is more valuable than fulfilling 100

Post by Simon E. »

No idea. Sounds like a typical cyber-meme to me...made up in silicone valley and no doubt illustrated by a windblown flower.
If it does have any connection to 'Buddhism ' it's of the Hinayana variety.

No one else conflates the arising of Insight with the conquering of stuff.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

true true simon ))) and apropos.... ....i saw it on a stone, i think, at the end of this movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsara_(2001_film)

...now i am confused )))) at the end of that film, is another quote, the monk finds a stone. on one side is written - ‘How can one prevent a drop of water from ever drying up?’ On the back it says – ‘By throwing it into the sea…’

....but this idea that overcoming desire is 1000 times more valuable than fulfilling desire, is the "correct relative" to quote patrul rinpoche, http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... w-mahayana anyone disagree with that?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Simon E. wrote:If it does have any connection to 'Buddhism ' it's of the Hinayana variety.

No one else conflates the arising of Insight with the conquering of stuff.
Check out the word 'jinaputra' when you have a chance.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Welcome to Contrarian Wheel.
Namu Amida Butsu
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

No one else conflates the arising of Insight with the conquering of stuff
Actually I do. I'm not enthusiastic about the verb "conquering", but I do believe the point of practice is to remove obscurations.
Welcome to Contrarian Wheel.
Guilty as charged.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

The issue isn't the removal of obscurations. The issue is whether we remove obscurations before they arise, by removing the obscurer. Which is not achieved by gritting our teeth.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

tomschwarz wrote:dear friends, what human is credited with saying/writing this? I am sure it has been discovered countless times.... but is there a general belief that there was a single recent author? are there cases where this is false?
It is similar to a phrase found in "The Principal Aspects of the Path" by Tsongkhapa with commentary by Pabongka. This was published by Michael Roach (yes that Michael Roach) back in the 70's or early 80's and is based on teachings given by Geshe Wangyal (so the commentary may also have Geshe Wangyal's teaching but this is not specifically indicated in the text).

I no longer have that exact text so cannot look the exact quote up. However the quote should be in the renunciation section of that text and referred to it being better to overcome one negative emotion than to perform a miracle.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Simon E. wrote:The issue isn't the removal of obscurations. The issue is whether we remove obscurations before they arise, by removing the obscurer. Which is not achieved by gritting our teeth.
Which is of course the application from the ultimate perspective and is co-terminal with the Ati/Dzogchen approach. There are eight valid yanas beneath that.

My Sakya lama did say when teaching from the Mahyana perspective that sometimes we just had to grit our teeth in order to overcome negativities.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Taco_Rice

Post by Taco_Rice »

smcj wrote:
No one else conflates the arising of Insight with the conquering of stuff
Actually I do. I'm not enthusiastic about the verb "conquering", but I do believe the point of practice is to remove obscurations.
I prefer "master," "subdue," or the more poetic "quell."

:sage:

Monlam Tharchin wrote:Welcome to Contrarian Wheel.
No, it's simply a "Clarification Wheel," IMVHO.

:namaste:
When facing a single tree, if you look at a single one of its red leaves, you will not see all the others. When the eye is not set on any one leaf, and you face the tree with nothing at all in mind, any number of leaves are visible to the eye without limit. But if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there. One who has understood this is no different from Kannon with a thousand arms and a thousand eyes.
— Takuan Sōhō, the Unfettered Mind
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Taco_Rice wrote:
Monlam Tharchin wrote:Welcome to Contrarian Wheel.
No, it's simply a "Clarification Wheel," IMVHO.
I prefer the more poetic "Clarifying Contrarian Wheel".

:focus:
muni

Post by muni »

...if you where now some 1000 years after your death what message would you send back to now?
Look how suffering arises. Look how all is passing and when grasping-desiring is freezing object, which is causing repeatedly many pain and harm. Look how all happens in thoughts, there is no beloved one or not beloved one outside of them, there is no pain or pleasure outside of them, there is no samsara or nirvana outside of them. There is no thing outside of them. Look how thoughts are non substantial, or having no owner, are having no existence on their own and are having no any power on their own. Look where they arise-subside, be there and let them arise-subside.
Thoughts are empty. Whatever their stories may be, they have no existence on their own and are therefore as nightly passing dreams.
The all-embracing sky lets clouds free, whatever stories they may contain.

Silence.

May it be of any benefit. _/\_
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

Realizing who is desiring anything is more valuable then conquering 1 desire.
muni

Post by muni »

When I read the words of realizations and those with the highest faculties and those with less faculties, I think my ego is by the first while this doesn’t help, since I guess, I am smoothly of the lowest even not mentioned. In any case, whatever I think to be, is ego!

By all those elaborations about no elaborations, my mind becomes exhausted to elaborate about all these understandings about no elaborations since it sound all elaborated. Then a master gave a luminous teaching: when you lay in bed, peaceful, no conceptual thinking is there and yet not asleep, there is a peaceful clarity, a simplicity as simple space, not taint by anything.
Even “recognized”, alas it is very quick forgotten, as soon as mind pops up, moves in a direction onto an object, it starts its' grasping activities.

But I guess such teaching is not useful for all of us, and there are many ways, seen as complexities to follow, which are liberating into simplicity of nature and so not entangling like an entanglement of never ending labyrinths running in each other. At least so it looks when my mind keeps elaborating about no elaborations.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

muni wrote:When I read the words of realizations and those with the highest faculties and those with less faculties, I think my ego is by the first while this doesn’t help, since I guess, I am smoothly of the lowest even not mentioned. In any case, whatever I think to be, is ego!

By all those elaborations about no elaborations, my mind becomes exhausted to elaborate about all these understandings about no elaborations. Then a master gave a luminous teaching: when you lay in bed, peaceful, no conceptual thinking is there and yet not asleep, there is a peaceful clarity, a simplicity as simple space, not taint by anything.
Even “recognized”, alas it is very quick forgotten, as soon as mind pops up, moves in a direction onto an object, it starts its suffering grasping activities.

But I guess such teaching is not useful for all of us, and there are many ways, seen as complexities to follow, which are liberating into simplicity of nature and so not entangling like an entanglement of never ending labyrinths running in each other. At least so it looks when my mind keeps elaborating about no elaborations.

Water will not drop into your mouth if you will not approach it or take it, you do not have a problem to get a glass of water from kitchen if you are thirsty, why do you think even less effort cannot be useful for anybody? You are talking bs here, you bonded yourself too tight and now think that everything/everyone is wrong or you have courage to state what is useful and what is not based on your lack of proper approach.
muni

Post by muni »

why do you think even less effort cannot be useful for anybody?
There is a wide variety of medicines for the variety of confusion. There is something for all of us. I was reading the text about higher faculties and less. There are many texts so mentioning and for me there are only different medicines as help, appropriate to fade the different confusions.

The given example about peaceful space, not yet sleeping was an example of do not seek it somewhere far away.

Thank you for your compassion for all.
:namaste:
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

There is no different faculties, they only seem to be there. That an idea of faculties, either you are introduced or recognized yourself or not.
muni

Post by muni »

There is no different faculties, they only seem to be there. That an idea of faculties, either you are introduced or recognized yourself or not.
Seem, yes. It shouldn't be taken literary which then turns into an existing on its' own- one with high faculty and one with less. There is not such. Either recognized or not, I cannot reject that but then effortless compassion shines, which is never exhausted and is as many medicines as long as there is need for.

_/\_
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

thank you all, insightful

thank you muni:
Look how suffering arises. Look how all is passing and when grasping-desiring is freezing object, which is causing repeatedly many pain and harm. Look how all happens in thoughts, there is no beloved one or not beloved one outside of them, there is no pain or pleasure outside of them, there is no samsara or nirvana outside of them. There is no thing outside of them. Look how thoughts are non substantial, or having no owner, are having no existence on their own and are having no any power on their own. Look where they arise-subside, be there and let them arise-subside.
Thoughts are empty. Whatever their stories may be, they have no existence on their own and are therefore as nightly passing dreams.
The all-embracing sky lets clouds free, whatever stories they may contain.

Silence.
we got this!!!! 3 hours of meditation tonight!!!!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”