Forgetfulness

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
kdolma

Forgetfulness

Post by kdolma »

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any suggestions for remedying forgetfulness. I can't seem to function in my daily life when I keep forgetting what I'm doing because I forget the agenda for the day, or I have too many thoughts coming involuntarily. Even samayas, I forget them and then remember once I have broken them.

Lately, my forgetfulness is worse and my body, especially my shoulders and chest area feels very tight. I noticed that this happens when my mind goes towards thoughts of anger, hatred, and resentment over the harm I caused others or they caused me, before I could catch my mind and refrain from these afflictive emotions, but now it is uncontrollable and very involuntary. Sometimes my mind feels very numb, as if it was sinking. This makes it very hard for me to function in daily life for example, I can't even focus to read a book or do things mindfully as I forget very easily what I am doing from moment to moment.

I feel as though I have no control over my mind or body to achieve daily tasks and such...

If anyone has any suggestions, please advice, thank you.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Forgetfulness

Post by Ayu »

I would strongly recommend visiting two persons:
- a physician, because there can be simple reasons for forgetfulness (for example hypoglycemia or less sleep)
- and a good Lama for the spiritual issues.

Online advices for your personal health might lead to the wrong direction.
Please visit a doctor. :twothumbsup:
SeeLion

Re: Forgetfulness

Post by SeeLion »

I don't know if you have or not a medical issue, but for me personally, organizing my schedule helps a lot to organize my mind and brings mental clarity:

- Try to have a regular schedule almost every day. Not for 24 hours, which may be too difficult to follow, but at least the time you wake up, your morning practice and your breakfast. And don't stay too late, get enough sleep.

- If you have many things planned for the day, write them down on a piece of paper, at least ones that are more important to you.

In my experience, if I have 2-3, maybe 5 things to do in a day, that's ok, but as soon as I have more than that (maybe a shopping list aswell), I start to get confused and forget what I need to do. I know some people use electronic organizers or apps, but for me, a piece of paper works best.

- Try to get a general feeling of what tasks you need to attend to and at what hour of the day, and how long it would take you, and write that down

- Again, don't try to organize too many little things, which is too much work, but try to start each morning with a general plan about the day
. I noticed that this happens when my mind goes towards thoughts of anger, hatred, and resentment over the harm I caused others or they caused me, before I could catch my mind and refrain from these afflictive emotions
We all become tight and tense when we become angry, that is quite normal.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”