can one mind enter another?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Vasana

Re: can one mind enter another?

Post by Vasana »

Astus wrote:
In other words, disciples like to believe that a teacher has special powers, so they attribute some otherwise ordinary events to those powers. That's not different from calling some events the acts of God.
You do realise how condescending and patronizing that sounds,right?

Many disiples are actually skeptical about teachers possessing any lesser siddhi ,let alone the siddhi of realization, so your argument there is unfounded.

I agree that it's better to be skeptical of any extraordinary claims than to have blind faith but its really not an issue of faith or hope in a saviour guru as much as you might think.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Astus wrote: In other words, disciples like to believe that a teacher has special powers, so they attribute some otherwise ordinary events to those powers. That's not different from calling some events the acts of God.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Malcolm wrote:
Astus wrote: In other words, disciples like to believe that a teacher has special powers, so they attribute some otherwise ordinary events to those powers. That's not different from calling some events the acts of God.

:bow:
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

As an energy practitioner myself, I see none of this popularity that you claim. In my area, and the last area that I lived in, there have been a couple handfuls of people into energy arts, and the rest just assume you are crazy.
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
Sudharma

Post by Sudharma »

A former teacher of mine used to point out an important distinction. Just because someone can read another person's mind, that doesn't mean they should go ahead and do it. Just because you can read doesn't mean you have a right to read someone else's letters.

Like all these things, it isn't just a matter of practicality, but also a matter of ethics.

If the mind is lucid enough, awareness arises, and that may include awareness of someone else's mind state, or even specific mind processes. It's a higher form of what we do in normal life when we read someone's expression or body language. But if a person who can do these things chooses to probe beyond what arises naturally, the ethical nature of that choice becomes questionable.
Sprouticus

Post by Sprouticus »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Malcolm wrote:We are talking about clairvoyance, manomāyakāyas and so on. What is material about that?
Nothing. But, that said, if a person IS clairvoyant then they should be able to read other peoples minds in a controlled experimental situation. Shouldn't they? Psychology (the Behavioural Sciences I studied) were quite adamant about using scientific (experimental) method to examine mental phenomena/processes (object recognition, for example), so theoretically...

I could easily think of a range of experiments that could be used to test telepathic ability.
Sometimes a person is just standing in line at McDonald's, deep in thought, when the man in front of them whips around, asks "What?", and gives a funny look as though he had been spoken to aloud. That person may not have had any idea what was occurring.

:shock:
Namo Buddhaya

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”