Lama Tsultrim Allione/ Tara Mandala Experience?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
ampina08

Lama Tsultrim Allione/ Tara Mandala Experience?

Post by ampina08 »

Hello all, a while back I'd been searching for Buddhist retreats or volunteer programs where I could spend a good amount of time deepening my practice, learning more about the Dharma, etc. I came across the Living Dharma Volunteer Program directed by Lama Tsultrim Allione at the Tara Mandala retreat center. I was recently contacted for an interview and invited to do the program. I've never met Lama Tsultrim Allione and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with her or the center. It seems as though her philosophy emphasizes a non-monastic lifestyle while also celebrating the sacred feminine. I know as ordinary beings we can not tell the level of realization one may have, but for anyone who has experienced her directly would you say she is the real deal along with any other teachers that are residents to Tara Mandala?
MiphamFan

Re: Lama Tsultrim Allione/ Tara Mandala Experience?

Post by MiphamFan »

I went to a teaching by her within the Dzogchen Community on ChNN's Chod practice, so she's not exactly a guru of mine in the sense that I received empowerment or lungs from her, but she is one of my teachers. I thought she was very good at explaining that practice in a Western context, although in a slightly "psychological" way. I don't have experience with her other teachings. There are some people here who are close students of hers, I can't remember their usernames right now but use the search tool.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

I've not met her in person or been to Tara mandala so my perspective but i do practice a form of Riwo Sangchöd that she gave the transmission for on an online course which was all very well organized and proper. I have no doubt that she's a legit expression of the continuation of Machig Labdröns work and if she's good enough for Namkhai Norbu Rinpoches approval then she's fine with me.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
ampina08

Post by ampina08 »

Thank you both for your responses and any others are greatly appreciated. Since I first contacted Tara Mandala ive been studying in the Karma Kagyu lineage at a sister Center of Karma Triyana Dharmachackra (KTD), North American Seat of the 17th Karmapa. I brought Tara Mandala up to my resident Lama and of course he said that he would suggest I look into volunteer positions at KTD since that's the lineage we've been studying. When I first applied to the LDV program I was just getting into Buddhism and just wanted to be immersed in the study and practice no matter what lineage it was in. Now I'm wondering if I should take the opportunity to head out to Colorado and study a lineage that's a little different than what I have been or stick with karma kagyu.
At KTD there are well known and respected masters yet the environment of Tara mandala seems to attract me being a non monastic, more yogic, "life embracing" rather than renouncing sort of lifestyle.
ampina08

Post by ampina08 »

I guess I should also add that even though I know there are great masters at KTD and everyone's stories I've heard about visiting have been nothing but great, I feel as though a monastic life is valued over lay life and there is not really a yogic tradition like there is in nyingma.

This is why Lama Tsultrims programs and retreat center have attracted me although I don't know much about her, the Dzinpa Rangdrol cycle that is taught, or the teachers in her lineage.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

ampina08 wrote:I guess I should also add that even though I know there are great masters at KTD and everyone's stories I've heard about visiting have been nothing but great, I feel as though a monastic life is valued over lay life and there is not really a yogic tradition like there is in nyingma.

This is why Lama Tsultrims programs and retreat center have attracted me although I don't know much about her, the Dzinpa Rangdrol cycle that is taught, or the teachers in her lineage.
HH Karmapa has taught at Tara Mandala.

https://taramandala.org/program/chod-em ... a-karmapa/

To the best of my knowledge, Lama Tsultrim regards him as her root teacher.

I've had the good fortune to attend an event at Tara Mandala exactly once. I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I had the funds and the time.
jbaumannmontilla

Post by jbaumannmontilla »

I have been there twice and participated in two online programs as well and had very good experiences all times. I think you are right that one of her big concerns is how lay practitioners integrate our practice into our lives. Before making some commitment I would suggest finding a way just to attend a retreat. Perhaps something online. She has a range of both Kagyu and Nyingma and other teachers presenting at the center over the course of the year.
philji

Post by philji »

DGA wrote:
ampina08 wrote:I guess I should also add that even though I know there are great masters at KTD and everyone's stories I've heard about visiting have been nothing but great, I feel as though a monastic life is valued over lay life and there is not really a yogic tradition like there is in nyingma.

I've had the good fortune to attend an event at Tara Mandala exactly once. I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I had the funds and the time.
I don't think The Karmapa has taught at Tara Mandala, however she has sponsored his teaching of Chod in India as shown in the link above.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DGA wrote:
Yes, this is correct, she considers the 16th Karmapa her root guru (so she told me once), and has forged a relationship with the present one.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

philji wrote:
DGA wrote:

I don't think The Karmapa has taught at Tara Mandala, however she has sponsored his teaching of Chod in India as shown in the link above.
Thank you for catching my error.

Overall, and to the OP's point: Yes, Lama Tsultrim is the real deal, and she brings excellent teachers to Tara Mandala. It would not be a wasted trip to Colorado.
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

I have had only good experiences with her as well as Tara Mandala, and I very much think she is the real deal. I've also spoken to a couple of the living dharma volunteers (at Tara Mandala), and they seemed to be enjoying it. If it appeals to you it'd probably be a great thing, though I'd personally want to visit Tara Mandala first.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”