How do you spend your time? What kind of work do you do?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
chi

How do you spend your time? What kind of work do you do?

Post by chi »

(cross-posted from sister DW forum)

Hi Dhamma Friends,

Let's start a discussion / survey about our day-to-day lives and how we pass our time as "people."

I'm in my late 20's and I feel like I lack worldly direction. Other than the Dhamma (maybe minus right livelihood), I have no other burning interests. I've put off handling aspects of my relative life for a few years now and it's all coming to a head in terms of needing to find work, pay off some debts, live a normal life for a while instead of trying to run away all the time. I'm seeking some inspiration from all of my friends of this Board. Sometimes I feel like meditation / Buddhist forums are the only places I feel connected with real Dhamma practitioners if I am not living, volunteering and/or retreating at a center or monastary or whatever. The Buddhist path can feel lonely at times....

What kind of work do you do?
How do you spend your time outside of work?
Do you have friends who aren't into meditation/Buddhism? What kinds of things do you talk about and do?
If you're in a partnership, is your partner into your lifestyle? If no, how do you deal with it?

Many blessings for all of your wonderful energies and advice. Just writing this stuff is therapeutic.
zengen

Re: How do you spend your time? What kind of work do you do?

Post by zengen »

chi wrote: I'm in my late 20's and I feel like I lack worldly direction. Other than the Dhamma (maybe minus right livelihood), I have no other burning interests.
This is a very good sign, since your mind is turning away from worldly things. The Dhamma had produced some effect in you. The worldly direction people often find themselves in is to acquire success in the form of money, sex, and respect. I advice you not to go that direction, but instead channel your energy in the practice of Dhamma. If you don't care about money and status, then I encourage you to find a simple job that generates enough earnings so you meet your basic needs, so that you can carry on practicing the Dhamma. You don't need a good paying job to live a good life. You are still young. You have energy to practice. You should put Dhamma first priority in your life.
chi wrote:I've put off handling aspects of my relative life for a few years now and it's all coming to a head in terms of needing to find work, pay off some debts, live a normal life for a while instead of trying to run away all the time.
Do you run away because people around you can't relate to your practice of Dhamma? People don't understand you? You are tired of explaining yourself? That's normal. Not everyone can understand Buddha Dhamma and put the Dhamma to use. But we should have compassion for them, because they, like us, are also caught in the cycle of birth and death. In this respect we are all equal. But you are fortunate because you can put the Dhamma to use.
There is no meaning to cyclic existence.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

chi wrote:...

What kind of work do you do?
Do you have friends who aren't into meditation/Buddhism? What kinds of things do you talk about and do?
I used to be a gardener. It was the work of my dreams and a very good means to get my dreaming mind down to earth. It helped a lot to get a fundamental understanding of many things. The processes that are going on in nature and in gardens are like metaphors for processes going on in the mind and in it's development. Gardening is precious.

But now my physical energy ceases, and this makes the job dangerous. If you are standing on a ladder cutting bushes with a chainsaw, you need 100% of your physical strength. Otherwise it becomes dangerous.
Once I fell down from the ladder, the chainsaw in my hands. Nothing bad happened, because I was caught gently by a cyclone fence... But I understood: this was the last warning. I'm too weak to do this work any further.

Outside of work I am a singer and I started to go to school. I want to try to make the high school graduation now, late in my life. Also taking care for DW takes some time of the day. And being present for my nearly grown up sons is a task also - but now they are in an age where they leave my influence. Being kind and being there is all I can do.

My main occupation in this life is to observe and to think what this is all about.
Once an aquaintance told me I should stopp thinking and analyzing - :shock: But I think, this philosophically occupied mind is my life. It is my purpose to be. And within these 53 years I learned a lot, that I can share to help others. :smile:
I hope so.
muni

Post by muni »

If you are standing on a ladder cutting bushes with a chainsaw, you need 100% of your physical strength. Otherwise it becomes dangerous.
Once I fell down from the ladder, the chainsaw in my hands. Nothing bad happened, because I was caught gently by a cyclone fence... But I understood: this was the last warning.
Oh so good you don’t do that anymore! Happy to read that. Maybe a good lesson for all of us as well to be open for allowing help.

Or… even for those among us (not Ayu), who want to hang out the hero or the expert in whatever which sense.
Like a little monkey once, sitting proudly on the highest branch of a tree and five hours later it was still there, crying out of fear and hoping for help. The little thing was teaching me.

Good to reflect about the effects/results of what we do!
Anyway what I do, I do like you, not climbing on a ladder with a chainsaw.
singer
We all should come to Toyed Shoe Lunt and enjoy your voice.

Also liberation by hearing is possible by music ( Mingyur Rinpoche). Or absorbtion, maybe when singing?

:namaste:
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
chi

Post by chi »

zengen wrote:
chi wrote: I'm in my late 20's and I feel like I lack worldly direction. Other than the Dhamma (maybe minus right livelihood), I have no other burning interests.
This is a very good sign, since your mind is turning away from worldly things. The Dhamma had produced some effect in you. The worldly direction people often find themselves in is to acquire success in the form of money, sex, and respect. I advice you not to go that direction, but instead channel your energy in the practice of Dhamma. If you don't care about money and status, then I encourage you to find a simple job that generates enough earnings so you meet your basic needs, so that you can carry on practicing the Dhamma. You don't need a good paying job to live a good life. You are still young. You have energy to practice. You should put Dhamma first priority in your life.
chi wrote:I've put off handling aspects of my relative life for a few years now and it's all coming to a head in terms of needing to find work, pay off some debts, live a normal life for a while instead of trying to run away all the time.
Do you run away because people around you can't relate to your practice of Dhamma? People don't understand you? You are tired of explaining yourself? That's normal. Not everyone can understand Buddha Dhamma and put the Dhamma to use. But we should have compassion for them, because they, like us, are also caught in the cycle of birth and death. In this respect we are all equal. But you are fortunate because you can put the Dhamma to use.
Thanks for your advice zengen.
zengen

Post by zengen »

chi wrote: What kind of work do you do?
I worked for 5 years as an engineer in an office environment. I'm currently not working. I'm going to change my job as I don't like to work in a corporate environment. It's a very high stress job also, and drains a lot of my mental energy. Ideally, I would like to look for a job that doesn't drain so much of my mental energy, so I can have more energy practicing the Dhamma.
chi wrote: How do you spend your time outside of work?
I spend most of time learning Dhamma. Like you, I also don't have burning interests other than Dhamma.
chi wrote: Do you have friends who aren't into meditation/Buddhism? What kinds of things do you talk about and do?
I used to have these type of friends. But not anymore, as we have drifted apart since I no longer share common interests with them. It's almost impossible for me to make friends now, since I don't really have worldly interests.
chi wrote:If you're in a partnership, is your partner into your lifestyle? If no, how do you deal with it?
I'm not in a partnership.
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

I am a USPS letter carrier. As a result, there is no outside of work. The only thing I do is eat, sleep, work, practice, and help my wife with anatomy for massage school.
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chi wrote: What kind of work do you do?
Landlord.
Meditation, walking meditation, fitness activities (cycling, walking, stairclimbing, weightlifting), watching tv (news, documentaries, some sports), participating in Dharma groups around town. And of course posting on DW, answering emails, etc.
Do you have friends who aren't into meditation/Buddhism?
No, but not because I reject them, it's that most people make friends at their workplace and that would be a potential conflict of interest for me as their employer/boss. My wife is the chief of staff of our business who handles all the day-to-day supervision and interaction with our employees.
What kinds of things do you talk about and do?
Dharma.
If you're in a partnership, is your partner into your lifestyle?
Yes.

Interesting topic to see the variety of livelihoods and activities of our members.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

I work for a Jain/Hindu family. I'm a personal attendant to a man that had many strokes, and needs 24/7 care. I also do light housekeeping for his wife, which means I'm work my ass off all day (working for Indians is hard work! ) The house I work in is a beautiful mansion. I have to be here @ 6:30 AM, every morning. For 10 years I have not missed but maybe (1) day of work. The only vacation time i get is whenever they take vacations...which is about 6 times a year...LOL.

Other than that, I just found out the man I've been with for 25 years is a sex addict, and has been spending all his money on prostitutes. I moved out (again) a few days ago. It's been hell....
Normally, I LOVE TO READ BUDDHIST BOOKS. Sometimes I read several simutaneously.

I also like to paint (fine art).
I also try to think of other ways to make a living...my brain is a little entrepreneur...i alway have some idea on the back burner...soon i hope to make these things come alive.
One thing i want to do is write a book.
The other thing is a product in the food industry, i know i can ace....

I watch (little) TV. My fav shows are NAKED AND AFRAID, ANCIENT ALIENS, HOUSE HUNTER, FOOD NETWORK
I sometimes watch movies.

I don't do (much) in the form of Buddhist "practice" anymore.....
I always have some excuse as to what bothers me about it....
I talk to my teacher occasionally about everything...
We use to live closer & talk every day, (I also SERVED him for many years)...
When I'm really stressed out I say mantras to calm me down & take Bimala & other Tibetan Medicine...

i recently (month ago) did a MO (Tibetan Divining Method), on myself...and it came true : Leaving the TOXIC relationship. And that everything will fall into place wonderfully !!! This was the first time I did a MO....

I do a million more things than what i just posted here....
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

i recently (month ago) did a MO (Tibetan Divining Method), on myself...and it came true : Leaving the TOXIC relationship. And that everything will fall into place wonderfully !!! This was the first time I did a MO....
How did you learn to throw a Mo? Is there a book?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

smcj wrote: How did you learn to throw a Mo? Is there a book?
Yes, a little book. At first I asked my teacher to do it for me, because he is very experienced...but i didn't hear back from him...so I taught myself !
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Oh...I also spend a lot of time on the internet :emb:

I love being alone...
And i have no friends....other than online Buddhist friends...and my teacher...

I raised a family already ...2 sons (in college) 1 daughter (39)

Being alone is serene and peaceful.....that's how i like it..

:anjali:
zengen

Post by zengen »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: When I'm really stressed out I say mantras to calm me down & take Bimala & other Tibetan Medicine...
Chanting mantras regularly is very good, especially if you chant single-mindedly and with faith.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
smcj wrote: How did you learn to throw a Mo? Is there a book?
Yes, a little book. At first I asked my teacher to do it for me, because he is very experienced...but i didn't hear back from him...so I taught myself !
And the name of the book is...?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
chi

Post by chi »

Ayu wrote:
I used to be a gardener. It was the work of my dreams and a very good means to get my dreaming mind down to earth. It helped a lot to get a fundamental understanding of many things. The processes that are going on in nature and in gardens are like metaphors for processes going on in the mind and in it's development. Gardening is precious.

But now my physical energy ceases, and this makes the job dangerous. If you are standing on a ladder cutting bushes with a chainsaw, you need 100% of your physical strength. Otherwise it becomes dangerous.
Once I fell down from the ladder, the chainsaw in my hands. Nothing bad happened, because I was caught gently by a cyclone fence... But I understood: this was the last warning. I'm too weak to do this work any further.

Outside of work I am a singer and I started to go to school. I want to try to make the high school graduation now, late in my life. Also taking care for DW takes some time of the day. And being present for my nearly grown up sons is a task also - but now they are in an age where they leave my influence. Being kind and being there is all I can do.

My main occupation in this life is to observe and to think what this is all about.
Once an aquaintance told me I should stopp thinking and analyzing - :shock: But I think, this philosophically occupied mind is my life. It is my purpose to be. And within these 53 years I learned a lot, that I can share to help others. :smile:
I hope so.
Thanks for sharing Ayu!

Gardening is beautiful...I just had the chance to experience it a couple times recently. It's like the plants are so alive and we're feeding them!

Why did you never graduate HS? How many children do you have?
chi

Post by chi »

AlexMcLeod wrote:I am a USPS letter carrier. As a result, there is no outside of work. The only thing I do is eat, sleep, work, practice, and help my wife with anatomy for massage school.
Thanks for sharing Alex!

You must get quite a workout all the days you work....
chi

Post by chi »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:I work for a Jain/Hindu family. I'm a personal attendant to a man that had many strokes, and needs 24/7 care. I also do light housekeeping for his wife, which means I'm work my ass off all day (working for Indians is hard work! ) The house I work in is a beautiful mansion. I have to be here @ 6:30 AM, every morning. For 10 years I have not missed but maybe (1) day of work. The only vacation time i get is whenever they take vacations...which is about 6 times a year...LOL.

Other than that, I just found out the man I've been with for 25 years is a sex addict, and has been spending all his money on prostitutes. I moved out (again) a few days ago. It's been hell....
Normally, I LOVE TO READ BUDDHIST BOOKS. Sometimes I read several simutaneously.

I also like to paint (fine art).
I also try to think of other ways to make a living...my brain is a little entrepreneur...i alway have some idea on the back burner...soon i hope to make these things come alive.
One thing i want to do is write a book.
The other thing is a product in the food industry, i know i can ace....

I watch (little) TV. My fav shows are NAKED AND AFRAID, ANCIENT ALIENS, HOUSE HUNTER, FOOD NETWORK
I sometimes watch movies.

I don't do (much) in the form of Buddhist "practice" anymore.....
I always have some excuse as to what bothers me about it....
I talk to my teacher occasionally about everything...
We use to live closer & talk every day, (I also SERVED him for many years)...
When I'm really stressed out I say mantras to calm me down & take Bimala & other Tibetan Medicine...

I do a million more things than what i just posted here....
Thanks for sharing Kunga! Sounds like you work hard for your employers, and also they couldn't live without you.

How did you not know this about your partner before?
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

chi wrote:they couldn't live without you.
I "quit" may times actually...and they always beg me to stay...it's very hard to find trustworthy reliable people.
chi wrote:How did you not know this about your partner before?
Yes...especially when I've had dozens of dreams telling me. Intuition telling me, etc. I didn't trust my intuition...i needed physical evidence...goes to show how important our intuition really is, and how it's so undermined in our modern society.....

I am so sorry for not listening to my higher self....I guess I didn't want to believe it...and gave him the benefit of the doubt....big mistake.

Oh, ALSO my teacher liked him and would always suggest I stay with him...so i also listened to my teacher...
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

chi wrote:Gardening is beautiful...I just had the chance to experience it a couple times recently. It's like the plants are so alive and we're feeding them!
I could observe: those old people who manage to take care of their own garden keep fit mentally. I think, every human being should spend some time in gardens, dealing with plants, soil, flowers and fruits. :smile:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”