interesting family conundrum

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
srivijaya

Re: interesting family conundrum

Post by srivijaya »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: I don't know for sure but I imagine my kids would feel really bad for the fish if they tried it. They get upset when other kids kill bugs and such, like I said. I fished as a kid and I remember how hard it was for the first time I saw a bunch of fish strung up ls waiting to die as we let them spend their last agonizing time in the water while we caught more:(
I think that nails it. Compassion will come from the heart of a child when the time is right. It seems that your kids are on the right track.

An acquaintance of mine was raised to always say and think the "right" thing. His responses to difficult questions are straight off his official "compassionate menu" but dig a bit deeper and there is no genuine compassion, just disinterest.

Buddha had to see suffering for himself to understand compassion. Perhaps an allegory for all of us.
muni

Post by muni »

Buddha had to see suffering for himself to understand compassion. Perhaps an allegory for all of us.
To see suffering and to suffer oneself, both is deepening understanding, then to act with skills as much as possible, for the welfare of all.
Often as “human”, we feel pride, we are convinced to be more important than others, and much more important than animals. Many think animals are dirty, have no feelings, have no sense of being and are even for our pleasure and furthermore they should remain of distance with their shit. Because egotistical delusions are very pride, very arrogant, these decrease by own suffering and then it is easier as well to realize how all beings suffer, the interconnectedness….To be aware, for the effects of our karma, while helping others to be careful too. Therefore I find that example to show to liberate fishes great.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

My kids have learned that life and death go together hand in hand and you can't have one without the other.
My whole family fishes. Over here in Australia we get quite a few fishing shows on tv, most of these are about catch and release fishing . I remember my wife watching one of those shows on tv and to her it was the most barbaric activity she had ever seen. The same woman however will happily catch, kill and clean her own fish.
I wouldn't force the kids to fish but if they want to I wouldn't stop them either.
I think in the western world that maybe we don't follow buddhism properly, by that I mean that lay people don't have to follow the precepts in the same way an ordained member of the sangha would.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”