Death very good opportunity?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

Death very good opportunity?

Post by tomschwarz »

Hello dear friends from beginningless time!

Is death a great opportunity for making progress on the path to enlightenment? Clearly death presents us with possibilities that do not exist in the bardo of living.... Or is life human life the best bardo for making progress on the path?

And related questions, which poses greater risks of reversing progress on the path?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
BuddhaFollower

Re: Death very good opportunity?

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Of course, because with rainbow body you reach exhaustion of phenomena in the bardo of dharmata:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... =80#p92772
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Seems to me if you don't take advantage of life, bardo is hardly an opportunity. Life is a very good opportunity. Death is a dependent opportunity. But what do I know. I'm wasting life. I'll probably waste death.

phpBB [video]
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

BuddhaFollower wrote:Of course, because with rainbow body you reach exhaustion
right dear Buddha follower. So next question for you is it
1 possible
2 possible but harder
3 not possible
To reach exhaustion of phenomena in the living years?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Of course its possible to finish the 4 visions when still alive, but it's rarer.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

According to Lama Akhyuk (who traversed the four visions and achieved rainbow body himself), it takes 60 years of dedicated Dzogchen retreat practice in order to get rainbow body [quoted in Tiso's new book]. That rules out the vast majority of Dzogchen practitioners. But like Malcolm said in another thread, there's different levels of capacities, so there's still the possibility of realization in the bardo for the rest of Dzogchen practitioners.
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Norwegian wrote:According to Lama Akhyuk (who traversed the four visions and achieved rainbow body himself), it takes 60 years of dedicated Dzogchen retreat practice in order to get rainbow body [quoted in Tiso's new book]. That rules out the vast majority of Dzogchen practitioners. But like Malcolm said in another thread, there's different levels of capacities, so there's still the possibility of realization in the bardo for the rest of Dzogchen practitioners.
But there is a shortcut:

"I dreamed that the sun and the moon rose together, and that when I directed my gaze in meditation toward them, I experienced great progress in my experience of the visions of togal." - Jamgon Kongtrul

https://books.google.com/books?id=s6L2k ... al&f=false

"...in a dream the functioning of our mind and our consciousness of the senses are unhindered. We can have more clarity. Thus, there are more possibilities. For example, it is possible to practice advanced Dzogchen practices of thodgal and the Dzogchen Longde. If you practice these in the daytime, you can certainly have meditative experiences, but in a dream you can have experiences beyond the limitations of the material body. That is why the practice is very important. " - ChNN

https://books.google.com/books?id=7--9a ... dy&f=false

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”